Rectifier Lineage...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have 602 with pre 500 tranny BUT rev E!!! so far in this forum im the only one with rev e

So one of the last of the 2 channels..That's cool, I love the way it sounds, I really hope one day I can find one of the pre 500's. I'm going to look really hard when I get the tax return.

Here's something I thought was interesting. Check out this early Rev G....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220172643124&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=012

If you look at the back of the amp you can see the speaker outs are two 8-16ohm and two 4ohm jacks. This is just like the rev C-F with the MarkIII OT. Later rev G's don't have this. Is it possible that the MarkIII OT's made it all the way to early rev G? This is just speculation but it's something to think about I guess.

How would you know it really has the MarkIII trannies without knowing the part numbers?

You wouldn't for sure. But like I said it's just speculation based on the speaker outs. All the Rev C-F's with the MarkIII OT's have this configuration. All the later Rev G's without the MarkIII OT have a different configuration(16,8,4,4). I've never seen a Rev G with the older config(8-16,8-16,4,4). It could be nothing but since we've been finding the MarkIII OT in later and later amps I thought it was interesting.

Okay, here's mine:

R 0627
RF 1E
OT 561136/EIA606-209
PT 562100/EIA606-033

Please move out the pre-500 designation...

Revision D checking in. Attached power cord, Serial loop, 100 OT, small logo, R-050X, Blackface, Chrome Chassis. Completed 08/1992...

dfea6b02.jpg

1f1160ac.jpg

268b087d.jpg

58fd2459.jpg

Revision G. Attached power cord, serial loop, bigger logo, chrome chassis, black diamond plate, R-0380X, 106 OT...

d83304ba.jpg

3e1603db.jpg

40f549f9.jpg

Family shot...

946f7bb9.jpg

I have owned R0064 Rev C (Replaced all the Power Supply caps with F&T) and it sounded amazing. I had to sell it though because it was a trade for an amp I designed. After that I got a R10xxx Rev G for another trade and it sounded almost identical. Oddly enough, it had Schumacher tranny's. Of course I didn't side by side, but it really doesn't matter what rev you have as long as you get YOUR tone out of it. And that is easy to do with a Dual Rec.

I now have R04xxx Rev G and it also has the Schumacher tranny's. I have replaced all the Power Supply caps in this one and am performing the Bias Mod and my "Thunk" mod. Basically changing the value of a few caps to cut down the mud and accentuate the mid/high-mid a bit more. If anyone wants the Thunk schematic, PM me.

One thing I noticed that may influence the tone of the revisions is the resistor choices. All of the revisions use Dale Flameproof resistors (oval, tan with colored lines). The Rev C used them exclusively with a few carbon comps in select areas. But my Rev G I have now has about half of the resistors replaced with a different type (figure 8 shaped, Light blue with color codes). I'm sure they are all metal film, but I'd bet they are manufactured differently, hence the possible tone change? I have built identical amps using identical layouts using different brands of metal film resistors and the tone difference was noticeable.

Thoughts?

Elpelotero said:
the chrome chassis thing is currently a custom order. back in the day, i believe it was too. however, i wouldn't be surprised if mesa pumped a few out in chrome every now and then from time to time. not all the first rectos are chrome. they had the same options as today.

ebay, craigslist (even other cities, cali is best), harmony central, boogie board, prs forums, johnpetrucci forums, pawn shops, the list goes on......
Ok, I know this is digging up a way old thread, but just thought I would clarify some info cause I actually got my Dual Rec. right from Boogie in 92 when they were in Rockaway NY. At the time they first came out, the chrome chassis was definitely not a custom order. I got my first Rec. from Mannys, {which was either #188 or #189} and it was chrome. Had some problems with it almost immediately so long story short I wound up dealing directly with Mark Snyder who was at Boogie for a short time and swapped my bad head for a good one. There were a whole bunch of pre-500's there and maybe one or two above 500. All chrome's also had red lights and not blue. Saw some headshell swapping for a chrome on chrome that were to be shipped out. It was common from what I remember

George Lynch was aware of the pre 500's as the one I eventually wound up with was put aside to be sent to him. I tried out every one they had there and asked to try Lynchs' head{which Mark had no problem with}. After two days of playing, pulling tubes and driving everybody nuts I begged and pleaded and finally got Mark to give up the Lynch head and pull another one for him. Now at the time we were gigging up the down the East Coast and Boogie was very accommodating to me. I Wound up with the prototype angled diamond plate cab, bottom plated cab and a modded Mark iv that Mike B. did some work to it before I took delivery. Still have it all too. :D

Back