Rectifier Lineage...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even have trouble at 1200, they usually go for about $900 to $1000 used which is the sad reality. Of course if it was a rackmount, then yeah you can get higher.

Russ said:
Yeah, you'd do better around $1200

Currently I am finding 2 ch Dual Rec's going for about $1200 regardless of pre500 or late 2000s. There are those that squeak by the radar at prices as low as $850-$900 but those are the ones that for whatever reason end up as just great deals. I have been watching them pretty closely for the last year on e-bay and craigslist. Of course you might find one somewhere cheaper but that is just what I have seen as norm. It also depends upon the time of year you buy it. When kids are getting ready to pay for tuition and around the holidays prices fall off a little. From about the end of January through spring the prices artificially climb due to tax returns. The knowledge of the pre500 is increasing. I have seen some on e-bay actually talk about their pre500 status. Expect a pre500 to possibly fetch a little more depending upon who is selling and who is buying.

.. which goes to say that we should all be quiet about the pre500.. unless you own one pf course!.. well from what I've read in this forum the ideal recto for me is a chrome chassis/black metal plate/blue power light 2 channel dual recto, pre500 with the non-detachable power cord.. how much would this cost me?.. I've seen most 2 channel DR's sell for 1100-1300 regardless of pre500 (I wasn't even aware of this 500 thing until I joined the site.. I thought all 2 channel rectos had the same greatness, none better than the other).. but with the chrome chassis and black diamond plate aesthetic I'm sure this must cost more.. it was a custom option right?.. so I'm guessing 1500.. is this a good assumption for a pre500 chrome chassis recto?

btw.. I have a roadster and I think it sounds very, very close to a late 2 channel DR I had.. I'm more interested in amps as investments these days and I'm sure some artist (prolly Adam Jones.. whatever he plays hikes in price) will say something about the pre500 thing and they will be worth their weight in gold.. so only 500 amps meet this holy grail of tone?.. that's pretty rare.. good collector's item

rainsong86 said:
.. which goes to say that we should all be quiet about the pre500.. unless you own one pf course!.. well from what I've read in this forum the ideal recto for me is a chrome chassis/black metal plate/blue power light 2 channel dual recto, pre500 with the non-detachable power cord.. how much would this cost me?.. I've seen most 2 channel DR's sell for 1100-1300 regardless of pre500 (I wasn't even aware of this 500 thing until I joined the site.. I thought all 2 channel rectos had the same greatness, none better than the other).. but with the chrome chassis and black diamond plate aesthetic I'm sure this must cost more.. it was a custom option right?.. so I'm guessing 1500.. is this a good assumption for a pre500 chrome chassis recto?

btw.. I have a roadster and I think it sounds very, very close to a late 2 channel DR I had.. I'm more interested in amps as investments these days and I'm sure some artist (prolly Adam Jones.. whatever he plays hikes in price) will say something about the pre500 thing and they will be worth their weight in gold.. so only 500 amps meet this holy grail of tone?.. that's pretty rare.. good collector's item

I'm willing to bet adam jones has no idea what a pre500 is...George Lynch is the only guy I know that's aware of them. Not even Metallica has one...their chrome/blacks are triple rectos, not dual.

Your price of 1500 is about right. I got mine for 900. You never know.

there's an R0094 DR with chrome chassis/black diamond plate which was sold as is on e-bay with a blown fuse.. the auction ended on April 26th with 32 bids at a whopping 2,550!!!.. it seemed like a bidding war between 3 people.. probably members of this forum lol.. I don't think I would pay more than 1500 for one.. all of this pre500 stuff is hearsay until I actually play a pre500 next to a later 2 channel model.. and I've already compared the roadster to the 2 channel model without much difference.. I'd just like a 2 channel amp so I can avoid MIDI for channel switching

I also read that the cleans got better in later 2 channel models.. this really doesn't matter to me because I prefer to use variable high gain and take the pre-amp out of the loop for cleans (I have a Boss GT-8 which has decent clean pre-amp models).. the problem then is that I'd want a series effects loop.. exactly what models have the serial loop?.. is that a strictly pre500 deal too?

Serial loop is not strictly pre500, though all of them will have it. Serial loops ended around the year 1993, possibly 94?

The way to tell is to look at the back of the amp where the efx knobs and jacks are. If you only have one arrow pointing to the send jack and no arrow pointing to the return jack, it's a serial loop. If you have an arrow going to send and another arrow pointing at return, it's parallel. Regardless, it's VERY easy to mod the amp to serial loop. It literally takes 2 minutes of soldering 2 wires. Someone on this board posted pictures of how to do it.

The Rev C is very bright and has loads of attack. You have to tame the presence a little to get a nice rhythm sound. Rev D is a little darker and is great for rhythm, but you got to up the presence a little for it to sound like the C version. Rev F is supposedly "an in between mix of C and D." After F came G, which I *think* is the final revision? don't remember...

The F's I have seen have a serial loop. The G's I have seen are all parallel. My G is early 94 and still retains the attached cord and small logo.

I was told that switching the 2 channel rectifiers to series effect loop would disable the master level control

I think you misunderstood or the person who told you had wrong info...Modding to serial loop defeats the Solo knob on a 3ch recto. Not the volume knob.

Elpelotero said:
I think you misunderstood or the person who told you had wrong info...Modding to serial loop defeats the Solo knob on a 3ch recto. Not the volume knob.
ahh ok.. here I thought I would lose that master volume knob because of the mod.. thanks for clarifying

I wish I had a Recto so I could join in with the nerdi-ness :)

Nothin' like a bit of serial number-spotting.

Russ isn't lying i went from a 3 channel which was nice and shiny to a little used but BAD *** MOFO 2 channel :twisted: and i'll never look back except for a pre500 bragging rights of course

Latest posts

Back