Mesa 2: 90 4ohm speaker outputs / impedance.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MihcaelWithersOne

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have owned a Mesa Boogie 2:90 for quite a well and Iam struggling to find clarity in the manual on which configurations / combinations of speakers are safe / allowed, so I thought I would come and talk to the experts at Boogie board!

I currently have the amp connected in a stereo configuration using a Marshall 1936 2x12 (G12-T75s) cabinet. The stated impedance of the cabinet is 16ohms a side when run in stereo. So I have:

The Channel A 8ohm output going into the left side of the cabinet (16ohm).
The Channel B 8ohm output going into the right side of the cabinet (16ohm).

This creates what I understand to be a "safe" mismatch of impedance, although Ive read it drives the amp a little harder and affects the tone slightly.

I am asking this question as Iam just about to wire up my new cabinet which is a 4x12 cabinet with G12K-100s which have a nominal impedance of 8ohm. I have a choice of either wiring the cabinet in a stereo configuration where I have 2 speakers wired in parallel giving me 4ohms per side. Or I should wire them in series creating 16ohms per side.

I am pretty sure that I should wire the speakers for 4ohms and use 1 4ohm output on each channel. However iam unsure if this is safe. The manual makes some noise about
"Use two eight ohm cabinets into the two four ohm jacks"

Can anyone clarify or give me some good advice on this?

Thanks

Mike

Here´s an excerpt from the 2:50 manual (IIRC) on "Speaker impedance matching and hook-up guide".
Very helpful read concerning your question....

Yeah 8ohms into 16 ohms is a safe mismatch.

I would suggest wiring them in parallel for 4 ohms per side. The 2:90 doesn't have a 16ohm jack and to me 8ohms output to 8ohms cab sounds the best (or in other words, no mismatch).

I think that statement in the manual refers to a multiple cab setup which is A way, but not THE (only) way to set up using 4 ohms. Later it says

Use one four ohm cabinet into one four ohm jack

Just like it says
Two sixteen ohm cabinets into a "y" cable works even better in the eight ohm jack
(the reason for the Y cable is that there is only one 8 ohm jack)

So you should be safe with 4 ohms per side.

Latest posts

Back