Cabinet?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squidz66

Reaction score
Hi all,
Any suggestions for a 2x12 cab for a new MkV?
The only decent options I have here in Australia are the Mesa, or Orange, both of which have V30's?

Get the mesa. I know a lot of people say it doesnt matter but I like the mesa's for one the look and two they use V30's made in the UK. Most other companies including Engl, Orange, and many others use Chinese V30's.

+1 on the Recto 2x12. It is huge sounding and just awesome. You could also check the RK 2x12, but the Recto sounds just great.

Hey Dudes,
Thanks for the replies, Looks like the Recto will definitely be the go.

Cheers.

I have a Recto 2x12 (V30s) and a 3/4 back 2x12 with C90s. For a huge, punchy, "in your face" thump, the Recto cab excels. The only downside to it is that it's only slightly less cumbersome than a 4x12, it's a pretty large cab.

Compared to the vertical half back 2x12 from the 80's/90's, which were within inches of the size of the 4x12, the recto 2x12 is a cake walk! LOL.

I want to try the 1x12 Thiele Cab for my MkV Combo... I think it would sound awesome for my needs. I somehow have an issue with the V30s in the Horizontal 2x12 cab. There is this very annoying bright sound in the top frequenzies with all the amps I have tried to my former 2x12. Had to get rid of it...

I was previously using an orange rockerverb 50 through an orange 2x12. I'm not sure if it was because the orange had Chinese V30s in it or what, it just sounded horrible. There's a harsh, shrill presence in it. When I got my MV with the recto 2x12, I was totally blown away by the tone. It was huge and warm, nothing like the orange cab. I then ran my rockerverb through the recto cab, it was a totally different beast! It sounded so huge, like what it should. So I hope my experience helps.

Vertical Slant Recto 2x12 all the way! The horizontal is nice too with more perceived bass response since there is more surface area of the cab coupled with the ground. You lose the clarity of the slant cab aimed at your head though. The horizontal just beams at your knees.

Hey all,
Thanks for your reply's.
Got a 2x12 Recto cab incoming this week. Sweet!
After selling my Roadking II and Recto quad to get an Axe fx 2, then waiting an eternity, missing my tubes, and realising that I hate "FU(%!NG" (that's fussing) around with bloody parameters ....

I can't wait to get the cab and crank the Mark V!

A momentary lapse of reason can sometimes lead you to appreciate the finer things.

Glad your getting the cab!

The right cab is the magic ingredient for making the MKV sing. When I got my MkV I took home a 1X12 v30 Orange cab. I gigged with it for about 6 or 7 months, and it did the job for crunchy tones, but was not very warm. After some digging, I took a chance and ordered a 2X12 Port City Wave cab with Cannibis Rex speakers.

I was interested in a Recto 2X12, but since I was going on internet articles, and not able to audition, I took a chance. The Wave cab /CR combo packs plenty of punch, but has a warmth that is awe inspiring when using Channel one in 90 watts...I did a session with it last week and the engineer was blown away by the tone!

Had I opted for the Recto cab, I'm sure the Mark would've come alive, but in a slightly different way. This new combination really works for my style (mostly blues, classic rock), and guitar (Parker Fly).

Dudes!
Finally picked up my Recto horizontal cab today, after calling the courier to find out it had been sitting at their depot for a week! (bastards)
This is the first time I'd heard a Mark V live and on it's own (the nearest dealer is over 400 kilometers away), and I couldn't be any happier .....even if I had a massive pair of tits!
Obviously all of you know the feeling of plugging in, easily dialling up an awesome tone, grinning from ear to ear, turning a few knobs, finding an even equally as awesome tone and grinning even more stupidly.
I did not get that from the Roadking.
Whilst it's clearly a great amp.., I guess what i'm trying to say is.. The Mark V is....

THE DUCKS NUTS!

yongling said:
I was previously using an orange rockerverb 50 through an orange 2x12. I'm not sure if it was because the orange had Chinese V30s in it or what, it just sounded horrible. There's a harsh, shrill presence in it. When I got my MV with the recto 2x12, I was totally blown away by the tone. It was huge and warm, nothing like the orange cab. I then ran my rockerverb through the recto cab, it was a totally different beast! It sounded so huge, like what it should. So I hope my experience helps.

I have an Orange 4x12 and that's my opinion as well. Brighter and harsher sounding than the Recto 4x12/2x12, which produces a smoother, more tailored response.

I have a good friend who is manager of a Guitar Center Platinum room near me and we did a 2x12 cabinet shoot out with a Soldano Slo 100 with a depth mod and a Bogner Uberschall. The Orange cab sounded alright but as we cranked up the bass to see how it would take the low end response, it quickly began to "fart-out" and the construction rattled. We did the same with the Rectifier 2X12 and it stayed tight and full, no rattle or harsh over tones. Mesa cabs are by far my favorite cabs I've tried. The band Periphery who are tone sticklers and swore by Orange cabs for a long time used a Mesa 4X12 on their latest record. I own the Mesa Road King 2x12, prefer it over the Rectifier 2x12, but both are incredible. I think I might like Mesa's 2x12s more than their 4x12s.

Latest posts

Back