The Ola setting of death

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
At first I got on with this setting (treble max, mids/bass min), but now it sounds too tinny and shrill to me. With an EMG57, which is relatively bright, I prefer about 2:30 max on the treble, mids/bass min. With the Dactivator, about the same, maybe 3 tops. Anyone else? This is on ch 2, presence pullled.

I'm using Dirty Fingers or EMG81 in the bridge, rock the treble close to max, mids at 0 and bass up just a touch. This is on channel 2. On channel 3, I max treble, mids at 1pm, bass at 7 or 8 o'clock with the exact same shape on the graphic, which is an uber-scoop. I love the Heathen sound (Mark III) and it really does it for me.

I live on mids and bass on zero, it's that treble that I fight with on the death setting. Oh well, I guess I'm just different. If everyone were the same, the world would be pretty boring anyways 🍄

I tried something similar with just the amp. Was not getting that satisfying sound with the JP2C. Did the same on the Mark VII and well, that amp can do it. That was unexpected. I will have to revisit this after I swap in some new preamp tubes in the JP2C. I still have the original preamp tubes since I bought the amp in 2016. Have the STR415 tubes in it for power. Something seemed a bit off recently. No mojo. I have not been using the JP2C all that much. Time to retube the preamp and see if that mojo comes back. I do not have many hours on the STR415 to be a concern. Have a full set of JJ E83CC to try, thought they sounded good in the Mark VII. Will see if they work out in the JP2C.

Fresh tubes can sound “crispy” for 50-100 hours of use. Those 415s should last 10,000 hours. New construction tubes are lucky to last 2,000 hrs of use.

At first I got on with this setting (treble max, mids/bass min), but now it sounds too tinny and shrill to me. With an EMG57, which is relatively bright, I prefer about 2:30 max on the treble, mids/bass min. With the Dactivator, about the same, maybe 3 tops. Anyone else? This is on ch 2, presence pullled.
I run bass/mid at zero with passive pickups. With actives I'll inch up the mid/bass to fill in the low end. Treble around 6-8 to suit. Use your ears!

Latest posts

Back