Speakers for 3/4 back cabinet with Rectoverb 25

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbyrnes77

Reaction score
I have had the Rectoverb 25 for 10 years (wow) and used it with a mini rec 1x12 cab, mostly for home use. I liked the sound. When I eventually started using it with a group I found the mini rec 1x12 didn't fill the room enough. Because of this I sold the mini rec and found a used 2x12 3/4 back cab with C90s. The 2x12 fills the room. 2 speakers, open back seems to be what I want. However, with the Rectoverb 25 when it gets loud with some gain I feel like there is too much mid frequency that I can't dial out. So now I am thinking speaker swap. Rectifiers and V30s are a good combo but not sure if so in an open back cab, but it is only 1/4 open. Do any of you have some experience with this? I see my options are:

1. Replace (1) C90 with a V30
  2. Replace both C90s for V30s
  3. Swap both C90s for a Creamback G12m 65. This is used on Badlander combo so might be a good fit.
  4. Sell the 3/4 back and try the new diagonal rectifier 2x12 :). Although then I lose the open back room filling.
Thanks for your feedback.

I have had the Rectoverb 25 for 10 years (wow) and used it with a mini rec 1x12 cab, mostly for home use. I liked the sound. When I eventually started using it with a group I found the mini rec 1x12 didn't fill the room enough. Because of this I sold the mini rec and found a used 2x12 3/4 back cab with C90s. The 2x12 fills the room. 2 speakers, open back seems to be what I want. However, with the Rectoverb 25 when it gets loud with some gain I feel like there is too much mid frequency that I can't dial out. So now I am thinking speaker swap. Rectifiers and V30s are a good combo but not sure if so in an open back cab, but it is only 1/4 open. Do any of you have some experience with this? I see my options are:

3. Swap both C90s for a Creamback G12m 65. This is used on Badlander combo so might be a good fit.
  4. Sell the 3/4 back and try the new diagonal rectifier 2x12 :). Although then I lose the open back room filling.
And
5) Cut the mids out on the front panel using different settings or using a Boss/EH/TC/etc eq. - this might be the easiest and most diverse option.

I like the #1 idea.
I have 3/4 2x12's with MC90's and V30's separately and have V30's in the old halfbacks open. The V30's are also used in other open backs like the ED/RA style and really many others for a more ported effect. Whether you like the V30 open only one person can tell.

I have some cb 65's but haven't loaded them yet. The cb 75's I have (but run in a safe mismatch 16ohm cab) do seem to scoop quite a bit, but would it be the frequencies you are looking to cut even if the m65 does that?

6) Thiele with EVM 12L, V30 or MC90. For a compact solution you do not want to overlook this one. If you aren't worried about walking all over a bassist's territory the bottom end will be noticeably larger in a thiele giving those mids a run for their money.

All said I am a proponent of the speaker rabbit hole but wouldn't be looking to a driver(s) to dial out frequencies.

The redback is a great speaker, but there are dozens of great speakers and so far we're only discussing ceramic magnets by one company.

If you are good at woodworking (or know someone who is) you could always make a back panel. If you like the sound, you could even order tolex and cover it. Worth a shot because you may be losing some of the low mid frequencies with the open back design. I do think that Mesa V30 sounds great with rectifiers.

I like the #1 idea.
I have 3/4 2x12's with MC90's and V30's separately and have V30's in the old halfbacks open. The V30's are also used in other open backs like the ED/RA style and really many others for a more ported effect. Whether you like the V30 open only one person can tell.
I do also... from experience on a Recto 30, swapped one v30 to a MC-90 which IMHO was a better balance.

I do also... from experience on a Recto 30, swapped one v30 to a MC-90 which IMHO was a better balance.
Just bought a Mesa V30 to replace one of the speakers I reached out to Mesa and they recommended the V30 in the cab. Figured to start with one, get the best of both worlds. I can always go full V30 later is needed.

Hey, I played around with speakers in recent years, but separate 1X12's. I had the Rectoverb and used a Thiele, then went to a TC50 with one wider cab with a C90 in it. Then bought another 1X12 open back with a V30 in it and last year got a 1X12 wide ¾ open back with a C90.

So far my favourite combo is the V30 open back 1X12 cab paired with the 1x12 C90 ¾ open back wide cab. The C90 in that cab is open with tons of bass and the V30 open back is... well, a V30. Best of both world IMO.

I'd be curious to hear a Creamback instead of the V30 in that open back cab... I welcome comments and opinions!

Cheers,

Back