Tube question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scary

Reaction score
I'm getting noise, through all channels. It doesn't really get louder when you turn it up, but it's noticable most of the time. Like a fire crackling almost.

I've tried 2 differnt cables, no change. Turned off reverb FX loop and EQ, no change.

Do you guys think it's the first preamp tube?

I have had this sound before. In my case I just used DeOxit on the sockets, retentioned them, then put back tubes. If the preamp tubes are suspect I would see about using the "replace them one at a time" with a known good one. I even had a V1 which would not take any Mesa preamp tube no matter what. Clean then retention and viola it worked.

Dennis

Thanks I just ordered some from sweetwater. I may just try to swap out that first tube while I wait, as it's the original from a pre-500 Mark V.

How do you retension the sockets?

Scary said:
... How do you retension the sockets? ...

Code:
WARNING - The electrolytic capacitors can knock you on your <censored>.  They can also stop your heart.  So be careful!!  If you are not too sure about this then getting a tech to clean and re-tention your sockets might be the most pain-free way to go

Here are some links for just this thing;

Keyed octals;

http://swartamps.com/tech/socket_retention/

Small nine pin but should be the same for the small octals used by 12AX7 or EL84;

http://billmaudio.com/wp/?page_id=171

Read about DeOxit 5 in this link. I found a set of small tools similar to a scratch awl but the size of a jeweler's screwdriver for the 12AX7 sockets. I think you can google "mini pick and hook set".

Dennis

I didn't know how to get the covers off of the preamp tubes, so I swapped out the 6L6's with some EL34's I had. Set the bias switch and now the problem is fixed. Thanks for the help.

To get the preamp covers off, just push up and turn them. There are bumps on the covers that need to be lined up with notches on the chassis.

iceman said:
To get the preamp covers off, just push up and turn them. There are bumps on the covers that need to be lined up with notches on the chassis.

Thanks I didn't see that in the manual.

I don't think it is in the manual. For preamp trouble shooting I think they use the same text for each manual... When I first got my roadster and needed to replace a preamp tube it took me awhile to figure it out as well.

Please don't stick anything in the tube sockets to clean the contacts (if it becomes a problem in the future). You can kill yourself - at least that's my impression. I'm not about to find out the hard way!

I had a problem like the one you mentioned on one of my other amps. I put contact cleaner w/o lubricant on the pins of the tube that went in that socket. Then I put the tube in and out about 10 times. Worked like a charm... and no electrocution!

Hope it helps.

Latest posts

Back