The Mark IV thread....!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey shep,

sorry about the late reply, my laptop recently broke and i've had to fork out and buy a new one, i live in Melbourne.

i'm still purchasing a new amp in the next month and a half, the main question now is will it be a mark iv head, or a lone star classic combo.

postmanpat said:
hey shep,

sorry about the late reply, my laptop recently broke and i've had to fork out and buy a new one, i live in Melbourne.

i'm still purchasing a new amp in the next month and a half, the main question now is will it be a mark iv head, or a lone star classic combo.

Hello postmanpat,

I had an LS classic combo 1x12 and traded it in for an LS head with a 3/4 open back 2x12 Mesa cab. In both cases, the LS gave me great clean tone but I wasn't getting the crunch I wanted for Classic Rock. I twiddled with both amps for quite a while but eventually parted company. I've read similar comments from other people on this forum concerning the great clean tone and somewhat lacklustre performance when trying to get some drive from the Classic. I've also read that the LS special does a better job across the whole tone spectrum.

Right now, I'm getting acquainted with a Mark IV A head and a Marshall 1936 2x12 cab. This head is very versatile. Each minor tweak can make quite a change in the tone.

So in my case, after trying both the LS and Mark IV, I've decided that the Mark IV is more to my liking.

You should definitely try both. If you can take them home and give them a good test drive, so much the better. That's the nice thing about some of the stores that I deal with in my home town. They will actually let me take stuff home and try it out. Mind you, I've contributed significantly to their profit margins and pension plans over the years. :lol:

Take care,

Michel

hey micheli,

thanks for the input, for a very long time i was umm-ing and ahh-ing about which to get...the lonestar classic 2x12 or a mark iv head with a nice cabinet,

in the end the mark iv + cabinet is a little out of my price range,

so i'm thinking of getting the lonestar as a nice all in one combo, and getting the mark iv head this time next year with a few different cabinets, as well as a hot plate,

unfortunitly i need an amp in the next few weeks and it would take me months to raise more cash,

i've heard andy timmons getting great distorted sounds from his lone stars, but i will definitly try and take one home from the day.

postmanpat said:
hey micheli,

thanks for the input, for a very long time i was umm-ing and ahh-ing about which to get...the lonestar classic 2x12 or a mark iv head with a nice cabinet,

in the end the mark iv + cabinet is a little out of my price range,

so i'm thinking of getting the lonestar as a nice all in one combo, and getting the mark iv head this time next year with a few different cabinets, as well as a hot plate,

unfortunitly i need an amp in the next few weeks and it would take me months to raise more cash,

i've heard andy timmons getting great distorted sounds from his lone stars, but i will definitly try and take one home from the day.

hello postmanpat,

I just surfed over to Andy Timmons' web site and listened to some of his stuff. He's definitely got great tone! There's also a gear page which mentions that he uses both a Stiletto Deuce and LS to get his tone. This is really more of an endorsement for Mesa products so there's no mention if he's using anything else between the guitar and amp and/or in the loop to contribute to his overall sound.

No doubt that if you can get that tone with an LS, you should be quite content.

Take care and Best of the Season,

Michel

jamme61 said:
he plays marshalls too.

hey jamie,

andy timmons recorded his latest cd with vintage marshalls, and plays live with mesa boogie, lone stars and stiletto's

postmanpat said:
jamme61 said:
he plays marshalls too.

hey jamie,

andy timmons recorded his latest cd with vintage marshalls, and plays live with mesa boogie, lone stars and stiletto's

You can't beat the versatility of a Mesa. I have the MKIV wide body combo and my Marshall Plexi stays at home now. Still the tone and feel, of a Plexi is awesome too. It's all good!

If you want to try a Mark IV, which I urge you to do, try going here and call as many local stores as you possibly can to find out if they have them, since (for me) the Mark IV was pretty hard to find.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/US/Dealers/dealers___support.htm

The Mark IV A or B w/e can get any tone you want. I warn you though it takes time to acheive a good tone since there are so many things you can do. The EQ is the main missing piece to getting those tones. Took me a month to get a kick a$$ Black Album Metallica Tone on the Lead and Clean Channel though the R2 im not concerned with right now. You can still get a nice AC/DC crunch on the R2 with the right switches activated. Try the Mark IV, and then buy it, its AWESOME.

I have a quick question. Is it possible to get handles built into the sides of a Mark IV combo? I am considering trading my Mark IV wide head for the widebdy combo, but I've heard that it's really heavy. I can't really decide if I want to go for the widebody combo or just keep the wide head and get a 2x12 vertical cab. I know I've asked this here before, but I might as well again, what do you think would be the advantages of each setup? How does the combo sound with just one speaker? Thanks for any help.

combo's are good and if you want more just buy a 1x12 to but under it..but i would say a short combo..lighter and easer to carry..

groovetuber said:
I have a quick question. Is it possible to get handles built into the sides of a Mark IV combo? I am considering trading my Mark IV wide head for the widebdy combo, but I've heard that it's really heavy. I can't really decide if I want to go for the widebody combo or just keep the wide head and get a 2x12 vertical cab. I know I've asked this here before, but I might as well again, what do you think would be the advantages of each setup? How does the combo sound with just one speaker? Thanks for any help.

I can only comment on the short combo, which is what I have along with a Thiele cab. By itself, I didn't care for lack of bottom end, but with the Thiele, it's monstrous! But if I had it to do again, I'd probably go with the separate head/cab. I would say get a 2x12 cab first. If you still want a combo, you can always sell or trade for a combo and/or cab.

Will a medium head fit on a vertical 2x12?

Hello guys! I have a question about MK IV..i didnt really read all 7 pages..but: What are (on some MK IV heads) those two switches right from the EQ? Were they on MK IV A? Cause i think they're not on the newer heads anymore..
Thanks!

Lucifer said:
What are (on some MK IV heads) those two switches right from the EQ? Were they on MK IV A? Cause i think they're not on the newer heads anymore..
They are located on the front panel of medium heads and on the back panel of small heads.
If I'm not mistaken, they are the EQ switch and the lead voicing (harmonics/mid-gain) switch.

groovetuber said:

So many whiners out there... it's not that heavy!! It sounds awesome with the widebody 1x12", but that's all I've tried it with as it came as a package.

I have had my Mark IV in both head and combo configurations. Of course, the head by itself is the lightest but is already pretty heavy considering the size. In a combo the weight only increases. With a Celestion it isn't too bad. With an EVM it is a boat anchor. Luckily the combo can be had with casters. My combo has casters and I rarely pick it up ever. It just gets rolled about. Maybe I am just getting lazy but bringing it up and down the stairs is a real pain in the butt. I might return to the head cabinet for real portability. I don't mind two trips. I do mind throwing my back out. With the EVM in it I would approximate it as being as heavy as my old Marshall 2x12 combo that I used to have but smaller in size obviously. I am not a whiner but I will be honest with you . It is pretty heavy for a little single 12" combo. Honestly, I would rather carry a 4x12 Marshall cabinet up the stairs than that little combo.

Well, I just got a MC-90 from jayjayturner on this board. Good guy and smooth transaction! I'm throwing it into my combo tonight! It was originally loaded with the EV, but I wasn't happy with the sound (or the weight!). So, I picked up an empty 1x12 Thiele cab and swapped it there. Hopefully it will give me some of that Celestion grit that I was missing with the EV and together I think it's going to sound awesome. :D

Is anybody getting Feedback problems with the Mark IV on the Lead Channel. Im talking about aiming for the Metallica Crunch Distortion. I have EMG pickups which probably add more to the feedback but I can't figure out a way to stop it. If I turn my settings lower, its not the distortion im looking for. Im also about 6-7 feet away from the amp. Any tips?

Latest posts

Back