The Mark IV thread....!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi. Does the amp buzz or hum? Does the sound change when plugged into diff outlets? Have you tried pulling and replacing each preamp tube systematically to see if the noise changes? If its 10 years old or older, you do need to change the filter caps, as they can not only become noisy, but cause a severe decrease in low end and clean headroom with age. A dull hum can indicate a faulty set of filter caps or something in the power section, while a sharper buzzz can indicate something in the preamp.

I'm waiting on my MKIV to arrive and since I live down the street from Mesa Hollywood, I'm going to drop off my chassis to them first thing and have them refresh the caps and switching components proactively.

Just my .02uf!

twinky5959 said:
Well...... I re-valved, and thinking that I should go with all 6l6's, the amp sounds better but.... It's now very noisy. I went with all mesa tubes because i work at that evil corporation.... (GC) So wondering now if maybe it needs a re-cap.... Anyone have any experience with a really old mark iv, and re-capping? Now before you guys say i need to turn knobs more, let me mention to straightouttahell, I did have the amp in that setting already, it sounded the best to my ears. I play metal and like to use the geq for solo boosting. The flub is now gone, but now this noise is really bad. I am running my gain at 8 or so and drive at 4-5. drive pulled gain and presence not pulled. I know the manual talks of feedback and what not, but this is not the case, I'm using a ns-2 gate so the guitar is quiet, the amp is loud while the gates closed. I went with spax7's in v1 and v3, 12ax7's in v2 and v5 and the at7 in v4. I tried the split power section, and think maybe all 6l6's will help my quest for better low end. Could the spax7 in v3 cause this excess noise? Thanks.

I'd like to thank all the posters on this board for the helpfulness and level of detail of their posts. I've been having trouble with a very weak, fizzly sounding MK IV. I was able to trace the problem to a pair of bad pre-amp tubes, largely because of the efforts of the posters on this forum. Thanks again.

So im new to these boards. Just got my mark IV yesterday! Awesome amp! Im new with tubes though so i have some questions. How can i know if my tubes... or a tube is goin bad? Will i for sure know from the sound? I have a spongy sound in the lead channel that i didnt have before... but mabe i just hit the bass up too much. Thought it could be a preamp tube maybe.
Theres no drop in volume... cuz im reading thats a good sign.

ALSO im pretty lost on what the difference in slots for tubes makes. I have the manual... but still gotta finish it, its probably in there. There is also numbers on the tubes where they plug in by the prongs... whats that all about, can you turn them and plug them in differently?

An answers would be great!
Finally joined the mesa club!

Waspination said:
So im new to these boards. Just got my mark IV yesterday! Awesome amp! Im new with tubes though so i have some questions. How can i know if my tubes... or a tube is goin bad? Will i for sure know from the sound? I have a spongy sound in the lead channel that i didnt have before... but mabe i just hit the bass up too much. Thought it could be a preamp tube maybe.
Theres no drop in volume... cuz im reading thats a good sign.
Preamp tubes typically get noisy, like static, swishing or microphonic, meaning a low feedback sound. Power tubes can get noisy too, but they typically lose volume or highs and lows when they're done.

It could be a preamp tube. How old is the amp, or what is the serial number (located on bottom side of chassis near speaker outputs). It could need other maintenance depending on its age.
Waspination said:
ALSO im pretty lost on what the difference in slots for tubes makes. I have the manual... but still gotta finish it, its probably in there. There is also numbers on the tubes where they plug in by the prongs... whats that all about, can you turn them and plug them in differently?
NO - they must go in the way indicated. When I remove a preamp, I note where the space between prongs is, like on the face of a clock...makes reinstalling them easier. Don't force preamp tubes as it's easy to bend the prongs or maybe crack the glass. Prongs can be straightened. Power tubes have a center stem with a small protrusion on one side of stem. This must line up with the keyway in the tube socket. These things can be broken. The tube can still be used, but you MUST MUST MUST reposition the power tube properly or very bad things can happen. I also use the clock face method when removing power tubes. When I have trouble replacing a tube, I remove another one and note the position of the space between prongs (preamp) or keyway (power tube).

Oh, and read the manual at least twice.

I just don't get how ppl can honestly say their MKIV can't get super tight, saturated, or lacks low end- I keep running into posts like this. One of the tightest Boogie's you can play is the DC-10 and the MKIV easily gets that tight without a boost.

In addition, low end response is not an issue at all as long as you are using the Graphic EQ. Once again, one of the fattest amps Boogie made is the DC-10, and like it, I can easily flub out my 1960a (not the MH412).

Finally, a rediculous amount of saturation is very easy to attain with this amp. One of the most brutal amps I've played is my rythym player's Orange Rockerverb 100. It sounds and feels like a boosted Recto- crap for lead, but sweet for gainy rythyms. The MKIV's saturation is equivalent to the Orange, but is more smooth and musical, if that makes any sense.

I reckon my experience is a bit different than consensus due to a recent retube and recap.

WELL i made sure all tubes were for sure all the way in and i messed with the knobs a bunch. Gotta a nice cruchy tone now. Seems to be all good. Great sounding amp

well mine is in the 10500 range and it was made in March 2001^

I'm having some issues with my Mark IV. I was getting some random crackling every now and then so I replaced all the tubes but I still the the same intermittent noise. It still makes the noise when all the volumes are at 0 and there is no guitar cable plugged in. I used some deoxit on the tube pin, it seemed to work for about an hour and then it came back. I can't hear it when I play but when I stop playing i can hear it faintly. I think it could be something internal or am I just being paranoid

muramasa said:
well mine is in the 10500 range and it was made in March 2001^

I'm having some issues with my Mark IV. I was getting some random crackling every now and then so I replaced all the tubes but I still the the same intermittent noise. It still makes the noise when all the volumes are at 0 and there is no guitar cable plugged in. I used some deoxit on the tube pin, it seemed to work for about an hour and then it came back. I can't hear it when I play but when I stop playing i can hear it faintly. I think it could be something internal or am I just being paranoid

I actually have a similar problem. When i play, there is a slight crackle goin on. When im in the lead channel. Cant really hear it if im playin hard. On the clean channel RHY1, I can hear it more, and really starts to cut into the notes.
I found out that when i touch the speaker cable where it plugs into the jack, it makes this noise. Now it doesnt look broke... but it is definitely something with it.. idk mabe new cable, hopefully nothin with the jack.
I pulled it out and kinda rubbed any dirt off. Finally got it to stop, but idk for how long.
Try lookin to see if you have a the same problem

Hey, I have a problem with my IV. When i'm using Rhy1 or Rhy2, the volume suddenly goes down, and after a while it comes back. On Rhy2 there is also some king of crackling. The Lead channel works fine. Could it be something with the tubes?

Hi, I have a mark IV-A. Does someone have the manual? someone sent me a PM telling me that he would send it to my e-mail, but I don't know what happened and I'm still waiting for it.

Check your preamp tubes.

Miiks said:
Hey, I have a problem with my IV. When i'm using Rhy1 or Rhy2, the volume suddenly goes down, and after a while it comes back. On Rhy2 there is also some king of crackling. The Lead channel works fine. Could it be something with the tubes?

prm2770 said:
Here you go milin_im

http://mesaboogie.com/manuals/Mark%204.pdf

That's the Type B's manual if I'm not wrong. I have the Type A's. Its scanned copies of the original. milin, do a search, it will show up. Or if you cant find it, send me your email address by PM and I will zip it up and email you. :)

I need a footswitch to switch between channels. The mark IV one is listed $239.99. So im lookin for something not soo expensive that will switch channels at least. Can i get something else? and what would i plug it into?

yeah, I almost bought an amp head without a footswitch. Man, I would be kicking myself so hard for doing so...

anyways, you can use the mini amp switcher http://www.rjmmusic.com/miniampgizmo.php or something which is a tiny midi unit with relay switches. then you can get a midi foot controller for cheap and switch channels. Or you can go the voodoo lab route I believe and you can get a footswitch.

emperor_black said:
yeah, I almost bought an amp head without a footswitch. Man, I would be kicking myself so hard for doing so...

anyways, you can use the mini amp switcher http://www.rjmmusic.com/miniampgizmo.php or something which is a tiny midi unit with relay switches. then you can get a midi foot controller for cheap and switch channels. Or you can go the route I believe and you can get a footswitch.

the mini amp switcher is more money than the mesa footswitch so no on that. the vodoo is something i havent seen before so im checking that out thx. I just need to switch channels so 3 buttons is enough.

Waspination said:
emperor_black said:

anyways, you can use the mini amp switcher http://www.rjmmusic.com/miniampgizmo.php or something which is a tiny midi unit with relay switches. then you can get a midi foot controller for cheap and switch channels. Or you can go the route I believe and you can get a footswitch.

the mini amp switcher is more money than the mesa footswitch so no on that. the vodoo is something i havent seen before so im checking that out thx. I just need to switch channels so 3 buttons is enough.
Careful buying from Voodoo; I've read horror stories here about him not shipping his stuff.

dodger916 said:
Waspination said:
emperor_black said:

Careful buying from Voodoo; I've read horror stories here about him not shipping his stuff.

yea i found a bunch of stuff about that too so im waiting to see if somethin else comes up

Back