The Mark IV thread....!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I'm trolling, but my Mark IVa is the greatest amp I've ever played. I like the extra brightness, or at least I think I do...

I'm planning to buy a Mark IV head, and have one question: Can you see if it's a mk IV A or B model when you look at the logo? Is there mk IV A-heads with the old mesa/boogie logo? The one i'm going to get is made in 1994. Thanks!

Mine says 'Mesa/Boogie' just the way I like it. But the answer for your question is 'No'. There are several Type A's with just 'Boogie'. Someone said that at one point you could order your boogie with choice of either the 'Mesa/Boogie' or 'Boogie' logo.

emperor_black said:
Mine says 'Mesa/Boogie' just the way I like it. But the answer for your question is 'No'. There are several Type A's with just 'Boogie'. Someone said that at one point you could order your boogie with choice of either the 'Mesa/Boogie' or 'Boogie' logo.

So, if it says 'Mesa/Boogie', it might be the A or B version, am i right? How about the year then, if it's made in 1994 it could be a late A version or an early B?

What's the serial number? The very first page of this thread says that anything over 6xxx is a version B and was made 1994 onwards. I'm not sure if version B's had 'Mesa/Boogie' or just 'Boogie'.

emperor_black said:
What's the serial number? The very first page of this thread says that anything over 6xxx is a version B and was made 1994 onwards. I'm not sure if version B's had 'Mesa/Boogie' or just 'Boogie'.

It's around 57XX, so i guess it's an A-version. Thanks for the help anyway :)

emperor_black said:

also, someone could just and easily have converted it from a head to combo, or vice versa, with the boogie or mesa/boogie nameplate.

the chassis layout and sn will tell all:
dodger916 said:
The IVB will have left and right fx return jacks. IIRC, the IVA had two separate loops.

yeah, look for the (4) loop outs in a square. the b version has them in sort of a line.

I was wondering if Mark IV has a PCB or chassis mounted tube sockets? Preamp, poweramp or both?

thanks for your answers

Sauron said:
I was wondering if Mark IV has a PCB or chassis mounted tube sockets? Preamp, poweramp or both?

thanks for your answers

Chassis of-course! I know where you're question is coming from. The carvin's are all PCB-Mounted right? I had a TS100 and it was a PCB mounted. But I dont think there's anything to worry about how its mounted. I've yanked the tubes on/off the carvin and played the amp at ear-shattering volumes for hours on end and there was no tube-rattle or anything. Anyways, sorry, I digress, but I guess you got your answer.

emperor_black said:
Sauron said:

thanks for your answers

Chassis of-course! I know where you're question is coming from. The carvin's are all PCB-Mounted right? I had a TS100 and it was a PCB mounted. But I dont think there's anything to worry about how its mounted.

Not unless you experience the same solder joint issues I experienced with a Peavey C30 :)

A little update since I finally found a Thiele for a decent price.
EVM in top and bottom, and I LOVE IT!!! :shock:

DSC01006a.jpg

I finally joined the ranks of Mark IV owners and have now found what my Dual Rec could never do. The IV has sooooooo much mid range... it's a sound to be heard. So much note and definition. I, like many before me, have been reading this post in anticipation of getting my Mark IV. Man, I have been missing out. WOW!!! Still has STR420's in it. Sounds good, but I think a re-tube is in order, especially the pre-tubes... Can anyone tell me what the sound difference is of the el34's in the outside sockets are. I run 34's in my dual rec religiously and thought it might help the mid's sing a little more, but... that being said the amp has amazing mid range as is, but is missing a little in the chug chug department, maybe the old tubes? It sounds amazing but the low end lacks a little... slightly flubby, not what i expected from the 6l6's, or my basson cab. I know a lot of people on the board like the sound of the 6l6's but was looking for an objective opinion before taking the plunge and buying the integrated quad. Thanks in advance.

twinky5959 said:
that being said the amp has amazing mid range as is, but is missing a little in the chug chug department, maybe the old tubes? It sounds amazing but the low end lacks a little... slightly flubby

Well, the IV it's not the tightest amp in the world, however I do believe that you may be rushing your conclusions a bit. Marks take some time to take the best out of them, so you may want to twist those knobs a little more ;)

Try the following settings: treble between 7 and 8, mids to your tastes (the more you set here, the beefier the sound), lower your bass knob, even to 0 if necessary, and enhance low frequencies on the GEQ. That's usually the way to go to get usable low frequencies out of your IV. Try it with Full Power/Simul/Mid Gain for the tighest response available.

Well...... I re-valved, and thinking that I should go with all 6l6's, the amp sounds better but.... It's now very noisy. I went with all mesa tubes because i work at that evil corporation.... (GC) So wondering now if maybe it needs a re-cap.... Anyone have any experience with a really old mark iv, and re-capping? Now before you guys say i need to turn knobs more, let me mention to straightouttahell, I did have the amp in that setting already, it sounded the best to my ears. I play metal and like to use the geq for solo boosting. The flub is now gone, but now this noise is really bad. I am running my gain at 8 or so and drive at 4-5. drive pulled gain and presence not pulled. I know the manual talks of feedback and what not, but this is not the case, I'm using a ns-2 gate so the guitar is quiet, the amp is loud while the gates closed. I went with spax7's in v1 and v3, 12ax7's in v2 and v5 and the at7 in v4. I tried the split power section, and think maybe all 6l6's will help my quest for better low end. Could the spax7 in v3 cause this excess noise? Thanks.

Hey, what is the power consumption(?) for the MKIV? I'm going to use a step-down transformer with the head and was wondering how "big" it should be?

Hey Miiks.
I use a 800W step-down transformer for my MKIV , but you should be fine with one above 500W.You could also run it with 300W but not cranking the amp and not having it at full potential.

pixy said:
Hey Miiks.
I use a 800W step-down transformer for my MKIV , but you should be fine with one above 500W.You could also run it with 300W but not cranking the amp and not having it at full potential.

Around 330watts is the max draw of a mk IV

Latest posts

Back