The Mark IIA Shined Last Night

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, spreading the word Down Under too!
Love gigging with the IIA, and the IIB is the backup.
Sometimes I take the mkI, but only if I feel the amps gonna be "safe", ie some places get pretty rowdy.. it'd break my heart to see it damaged for the sake of some drunken clown..

Hi Guys,
Another proud MkIIa owner/operator here!
Really love it, had it for years, it gets gigged every second week.
I also have a MKIIC+, but I like the older one!
Ian

I'm thinking of using a Boss Ge7 in my effects loop (studio22+). Any issues I should look out for? Seems like a lot of you guys are doing it.

I don't use a Graphic EQ, I don't believe it to be necessary.
This is unlike alot of punters here, and this comment just shows the other side! Maybe try one out before you buy?
Ian

Hi All,

Another owner of a MKIIA 60/100 Rev Eq Export coming - I hope I'll be proud of it, because I am waiting for it to come home, and I never had any Boogie... Hope it will have some kind of "Santana" sound with my 335, and no issue like popping channel switching and noisy reverb as I read somewhere... Here are some pics, from the precedent (1st hand) owner :

401074MesaBoogieMarkII1.jpg

118677MesaBoogieMarkII2.jpg

921894MesaBoogieMarkII6.jpg

473449MesaBoogieMarkII8.jpg

The only amps I have are these :

753727IMG_5793.jpg

I hope my awaiting MKIIA will not be a deceptive, but a complementary mate...

You MK2A owners can tell... At least for now !

A+!

I'm hoping to find my old Mark IIA that I sold off 20 years ago and have regretted it ever since.

Serial number 3114, or 3116. HRG head. Got it? Let's talk.

Yes, EQ makes the sound better when used right. I don't care what your amp is, careful EQ adjustments can make it sound better than without the EQ.

breogan said:
Glad you loved you Mark IIa! I think you and I are the only proud owners of MKIIa of this forum.

I am loving mine more and more. At the moment I am only ussing the clean channel with the gain up to 8. Then I push the amp with a Maxon OD808 or a RAT II. I love the overdrive you get when you push a preamp tube with a stompbox.

Now I am in the process to incorporate more feaures from this amp to my playing. That is dirty channel and eq. I also want to use a volume pedal to control the gain, I have bought a BOSS FV50H for this purpose but I haven't tried it yet.

What I love the most from this amp is the great defined midrange it has. I am using a Weber G1265 and the amp is mostly mids. VERY detailed mids... amazing. I love it...

Me too on the MkIIA - I have four, each in a slightly different configuration. On any given day, it's a close call between my favourite IIA and my (lightly modded) Coli IIB - displacing even my IIC+...... :shock:

They're like a blackface that wants to bite your *ss.

@Wyzard....You have 4 Mark IIA amps?? Lets hear about them, see them, hear them, hear how you use each of them, and whatever else you want to offer!

Proud owner of a 1979 Blonde/Wicker IIA for the past decade or so. 60/100, Reverb, no GEQ with a JBL D120F and export trans. Phenomenal cleans and classic drive. I love my amp. Rarely hear others talk about the IIA, so I'm always hungry for more discussion.

I've hauled in two of the MkIIAs for speaker testing again, along with a silverface Dual Showman, having just recently stowed them and got a Hiwatt DR112 out instead.

I put a Celestion Fullback in a biggish, flattish pine cab a while back, and got a second Eminence ME12-2008 to try paired with the first in a Two-Rock style 2x12 cab. I'm trying to establish first of all if the two Eminences perform exactly the same. The TR-style cab has an EV and a Fane Crescendo in it at the moment, so they'll have to be found new cabs to live in.

One of the IIAs is a 15-inch combo 110V hung off a step-down transformer, with reverb but no GEQ; the other is a 12-inch w/Export transformer, with GEQ but no reverb. I'll get back when I've logged enough time for a clear picture of how well the MkIIAs do with the various speakers/cabs.

The other two MKIIAs are, again, 15- and 12-inch combos. The second 15 has a GEQ , a JBL, and is (once again) a 110V model; and the 12 hasn't got a GEQ and is a 240V, with an EV in it. So a decent mix of combos, with some variety, and all have been out on tour with major acts over the years.

The last of them - the 12 without GEQ - is waiting to be serviced for the first time in over twenty years, as it needs a cap doing, general checkup, pots spraying, and some small tubes are a bit noisy. I've barely turned it on since getting it a year or so ago, and have been very remiss about getting it looked at. It's been a fairly low priority to be truthful, as this has been my busiest year in a long time.

More notes soon, with a little luck and a bit of time to get my teeth into the job properly.

Back