Mesa JP-2C Review

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CaliforniaBoogie said:
Kippie and David,

How close is the JP2C to a DRG? I've always preferred the DRG to any of the other variations, and to me it's a pretty noticeable difference. I'm concerned that the JP2C will be more similar to a HRG than a DRG, which wouldn't work for me.

Also, I'm somewhat confused about the "versatility" aspect of the JP2C compared to the original. I don't know about you guys, but the absence of Vol 1 seems pretty significant and to me really hampers my mental picture of how versatile the JP2C is - in terms of pure tone - compared to the IIC+. Does the JP2C do mid-gain tones as well as the IIC+?

Hopefully I get the chance to play the amp soon.

(I had to go back and look up "HRG" (100/60 Watt) vs "DRG" (Simulclass), both with reverb and graphic eq). I knew "DRG" meant "loaded" but didn't realize that the 'D' denoted the power amp configuration.

As far as the volume 1 sweep is concerned, coming from my Mark III, I'd say there's excellent coverage unless you want it set solidly to '10'. You've got the clean channel which basically covers values up to around 4 or 5, channel 2 covers about 7 to 8, and channel 3 covers about 8 to 9.

You could argue that you're boxed in to which channel you have to use based on the desired range, but honestly, which a iic+ or a III, you're boxed into whatever value you dialed for the *entire amp*.

I realize this may not suit your needs, I'm just saying why it doesn't bother me compared to my Mark III. I often had the volume up to 8 or 9, but not 10 after I got more serious about recording. This hits the sweet spot for me.

CaliforniaBoogie said:
kippiejr said:
It's a HRG for sure. Mesa can change a HRG to a DRG but will they mod a HRGG to a DRGG :lol: when the dust settles in a few, I'm sure they'll release a DRG . Hint hint. These aren't the driods you looking for.

Thanks, that's what I was suspecting. The DRG is just my sound, noticeable different than the other models particularly for leads/solos.

I don't have a crystal ball but I suspect that any chance of seeing a DRG variant depends on the success of the current model.

By the way, out of real curiosity, is this preference due to the El34/6L6 combination or how the power section is wired for simulclass (i.e., you'd prefer a DRG with a quad of 6L6's over an HRG).

My Mark III is a DRG, and I prefer it with 6L6s. I had a couple of Road King IIs, and after a year or so I mostly stuck with straight 6L6s for the power section, which is why I didn't blink over the JP-2C's setup.

dlpasco said:
CaliforniaBoogie said:
kippiejr said:
It's a HRG for sure. Mesa can change a HRG to a DRG but will they mod a HRGG to a DRGG :lol: when the dust settles in a few, I'm sure they'll release a DRG . Hint hint. These aren't the driods you looking for.

Thanks, that's what I was suspecting. The DRG is just my sound, noticeable different than the other models particularly for leads/solos.

I don't have a crystal ball but I suspect that any chance of seeing a DRG variant depends on the success of the current model.

By the way, out of real curiosity, is this preference due to the El34/6L6 combination or how the power section is wired for simulclass (i.e., you'd prefer a DRG with a quad of 6L6's over an HRG).

My Mark III is a DRG, and I prefer it with 6L6s. I had a couple of Road King IIs, and after a year or so I mostly stuck with straight 6L6s for the power section, which is why I didn't blink over the JP-2C's setup.

Hi,

Thanks for the response above as well. My preference for the DRG is indeed due to its wiring rather than the ability to use 6L6s and El34s. While the option to use EL34s is nice, I find that I rarely use or even think about using El34s.

Everyone has an opinion on the options, but I personally feel that the power supplies (and graphic eq) make a very noticeable difference. The DRGs that I've tried just generally have a richer, more complex and three dimensional tone. The more time you spend with the DRG, the more pronounced the difference becomes, although I'm sure it's noticeable on first blush as well. I've had a bunch of hundreds and sixties and only the simulclass amps remain.

My purposes are different, though. I'm not going for petrucci or master of puppets rhythm tones, and can understand the interest in the HRGs if that's a goal. I'm more of a lead player, and to me, nothing yet has topped the DRGs as a lead amp (including the SLO, Bogners, Marshalls, Friedmans).

Another weird thing about the DRGs that others may have noticed, but I'm sure I'll take some stick for, is the fact that they can capture a Marshall-esque vibe if needed. For instance, I've had no issues covering EVH, Zep or Blackmore tunes with DRGs, and - to me - they sound better than any Marshall I've ever played. HRGs and SRGs weren't quite as good at this.

YMMV, but I know what I like. :)

CaliforniaBoogie said:
dlpasco said:

Hi,

Thanks for the response above as well. My preference for the DRG is indeed due to its wiring rather than the ability to use 6L6s and El34s. While the option to use EL34s is nice, I find that I rarely use or even think about using El34s.

Everyone has an opinion on the options, but I personally feel that the power supplies (and graphic eq) make a very noticeable difference. The DRGs that I've tried just generally have a richer, more complex and three dimensional tone. The more time you spend with the DRG, the more pronounced the difference becomes, although I'm sure it's noticeable on first blush as well. I've had a bunch of hundreds and sixties and only the simulclass amps remain.

My purposes are different, though. I'm not going for petrucci or master of puppets rhythm tones, and can understand the interest in the HRGs if that's a goal. I'm more of a lead player, and to me, nothing yet has topped the DRGs as a lead amp (including the SLO, Bogners, Marshalls, Friedmans).

Another weird thing about the DRGs that others may have noticed, but I'm sure I'll take some stick for, is the fact that they can capture a Marshall-esque vibe if needed. For instance, I've had no issues covering EVH, Zep or Blackmore tunes with DRGs, and - to me - they sound better than any Marshall I've ever played. HRGs and SRGs weren't quite as good at this.

YMMV, but I know what I like. :)

Neat. It's interesting to hear about what people have picked up on in their experiences. Thanks for sharing this, CB.

kippiejr said:
Final review:

Went through an entire 3 hour practice last night and can finally give my last review. This is my opinion and this is coming from a person who has in depth experience with the IIC+. We all know the C+ can produce a wide range of amazing tones but the 2C became famous because of a certain style of artist or bands who played and recorded with them. Which is the same as mine. The JP-2C is the best Mark series amp Mesa has produced in 30+ years. I say its a Mark amp because its circuit is derived from the Mark series line. Is it an exact re issue, NO.. I happen to like the Vol 1 knob and over all master, Wish the JP-2C did not have the internal settings, but those internal settings really make the 2C+ sing and I totally get why they did that.... My favorite original C+'s have the Petrucci mod and the ++ mod and are switchable to all 3, which in turn, is what the JP-2C is now plus a lot more, and at half the price. :lol: 2 EQ's, MIDI, 3 channels, 3 reverb levels, shred mode, assigning FX loop, stop the madness!!!!

Disclaimer: It is running the stock preamp tubes (JJ) but I replaced the stock 6L6's with 415's with in 10 minutes of auditioning the amp. Since my C+'s run 415's the JP-2C should as well, if we are comparing apples to apples.

The amp cut through the mix just like the original. The other guitar player uses an early Mark III, and with the JP-2C the over all guitar tones sounded just like it did before as if I was using the original. A bit stiff at first but with only about 4 hours total on the amp, it was already loosing up and producing that C+ squishy sustaining holy grail tones I have learned to love. My band members did notice my tweaking and slider adjusting seemed to go away with this amp :mrgreen: I mean we are tone junkies after all..
Never heard an issue with the effect loop but since I have the call tag already ill get the loop upgrade done. Then it will be perfect.
Will I sell any of my C+'s. Hell no.. Well I buy another JP-2C... Hell yeah!!!!!

Ps. FWIW. Guys who are using midi: Turn the effects and pedal board on first, then the amp. When I turn the amp on first the midi changes to the amp don't work. That's using a G-major and GCP anyway..

What a motivating and well done review! Thanks for posting!

I am very anxious about mine. I ordered the LE and should receive it in the end of Apr / beginning of May.

I am not selling any of my Mesas either.
I am afraid I will not have the guts to use the LE on the road often. I will have to buy a standard dressing JP-2C also...

kippiejr said:
Ps. FWIW. Guys who are using midi: Turn the effects and pedal board on first, then the amp. When I turn the amp on first the midi changes to the amp don't work. That's using a G-major and GCP anyway..

A few questions if you don't mind clarifying...

FTSW wasn’t connected to the amp?
Where in the MIDI chain is the amp connected?
When the problem occurs, is it just the amp that doesn’t respond to MIDI, or the effects as well?
What MIDI channel is the amp set to?
Did you try setting the amp to a different MIDI channel?
Are you using MIDI Control Change Messages or MIDI Program Change Messages to switch the amp? Are you 100% sure that only one of those two message types is being transmitted on the same MIDI channel that you want to control the amp on/with?

Thanks!

A few questions if you don't mind clarifying...

FTSW wasn’t connected to the amp?
Definitely not... GCP midi out to G major midi in-midi out or thru either one works of g-major to midi in of amp
Where in the MIDI chain is the amp connected?
See above... Last
When the problem occurs, is it just the amp that doesn’t respond to MIDI, or the effects as well?
Only the amp.
What MIDI channel is the amp set to?
0 per manual is Channel 1... same as GCP and g major.
Did you try setting the amp to a different MIDI channel?
Yes
Are you using MIDI Control Change Messages or MIDI Program Change Messages to switch the amp? Midi Program change.
Are you 100% sure that only one of those two message types is being transmitted on the same MIDI channel that you want to control the amp on/with?
YES.
Like I stated early, It all works great if I just turn the amp on last in the chain... Easy enough... #129 is headed back your way for loop upgrade this week. check it out. Also the midi light which I confirmed is red, is barley noticeable. Had to turn off lights to realize it was red..
But don't change the tone. :lol: ..........Best amp out since the original... Kudos!

PS, Can the FTSW support phantom power 7 pin midi cable. The manual says any 7 pin midi cable. I always assumed a 7 pin midi cable was 5 for midi and 2 for power. Just checking....
Thanks

Thanks OP that was an interesting read!

You mention low volumes - I understand the Mark V excels at low volumes... even at modest 'home / bedroom' levels.

Does the JP2C behave at these sorts of levels? Obviously they all sound better when louder / pushed, but I'm curious.

Thanks! :)

nitefly said:

You mention low volumes - I understand the Mark V excels at low volumes... even at modest 'home / bedroom' levels.

Does the JP2C behave at these sorts of levels? Obviously they all sound better when louder / pushed, but I'm curious.

It's definitely great at low levels.

dlpasco said:
nitefly said:

This is definately on my list of amps to try out. Low level / studio volumes are important to me, as is the nature and feel of the break-up as the amp flips into OD

Does this amp do the edge of break-up thing naturally?

Hard to describe, but do CH 2 and 3 do the crushed glass response without getting harsh or farty at low gain levels? I do edge of break-up, blues to classic rock stuff, and do not need a metal tone. But I am looking for a Mesa with lively, natural OD which doesn't get spikey, as well as a good clean tone on CH1

From what I have read so far, this package could be it, even if I do not use the gain sweep past noon

Cheers dlpasco.

The other question was whether the units shipped to Europe will have the fix sorted before they are dispatched... I doubt getting them back across the pond would be a breeze. I have seen a member on another forum comment that they WOULD have the fix, but it would be good for Boogie to confirm.

I have asked elsewhere so if I hear I will let you guys know :)

nitefly said:
Cheers dlpasco.

The other question was whether the units shipped to Europe will have the fix sorted before they are dispatched... I doubt getting them back across the pond would be a breeze. I have seen a member on another forum comment that they WOULD have the fix, but it would be good for Boogie to confirm.

This has been clarified a few times - only the first few units out the door came back for the fx loop modification, and all future amps will have this change done already. Thanks!

Channel 1 was designed to be freaking CLEAN. It's not going to break up until it's killing people in the front row on its own. Sounds great with an OD, though.

Chester said:
dlpasco said:
nitefly said:

This is definately on my list of amps to try out. Low level / studio volumes are important to me, as is the nature and feel of the break-up as the amp flips into OD

Hard to describe, but do CH 2 and 3 do the crushed glass response without getting harsh or farty at low gain levels? I do edge of break-up, blues to classic rock stuff, and do not need a metal tone. But I am looking for a Mesa with lively, natural OD which doesn't get spikey, as well as a good clean tone on CH1

From what I have read so far, this package could be it, even if I do not use the gain sweep past noon

Thanks Mesa,
Had amp back in a week and midi issue seems to be resolved as well midi light shines bright.. And loop is great.....
Great amp.... Is there a simul-class mod? Everyone need one of each... :mrgreen:

Authorized Boogie said:
nitefly said:
Cheers dlpasco.

This has been clarified a few times - only the first few units out the door came back for the fx loop modification, and all future amps will have this change done already. Thanks!

Thank you very much for confirming. I did trawl the usual place and I couldn't see anywhere that indicated whether some of the first few units out of the door actually went to Europe or not (although obviously it makes sense these would be solely distributed to the U.S.).

To anyone else reading, Mesa separately confirmed to me on Facebook that the European models (i.e. those shipped to Europe) will have the fix.

After reading various reviews I'm going to change my order from a Mark V to a JP2C. Looking forward to it 8) 8) 8)

kippiejr said:
Thanks Mesa,
Had amp back in a week and midi issue seems to be resolved as well midi light shines bright.. And loop is great.....
Great amp.... Is there a simul-class mod? Everyone need one of each... :mrgreen:

Did you notice any change in tone or would you say the mod had no effect on the way the amp sounds, responds ect. I've been waiting to hear some feedback before I send it back to Mesa. The issue with the bleed over to channel one isn't problematic for me however I'll still get it taken care of so long as it doesn't change the tone. What are your thoughts ? Any noticeable tonal differences ? Thanks in advance kippiejr or anyone else with an opinioon on the mod.

Chester said:
dlpasco said:
nitefly said:

With the gain and treble rolled off on channel 2 you can get some nice furry tones. Even the mid control in channel 2 and 3 will add some preamp distortion, so that has to be set low as well. When I was trying to dail those tones in I was thinking how useful that extra gain control would be. Since its preset is set so high. But it cleans up pretty nice. I'm still amazed at just how much gain this amp has. I'm playing metal with the gain set to 9 o'clock pushed in on channel 3. :shock:

Ok, so today I tried to get a clean tone on channel 2. I found it easiest to turn the treble off, or to 0. Same for the mids, 0. Bass about 9 o'clockish. Gain at or just under 8 o'clock. I got a nice round clean tone. And I can control the brightness with the presence control and I could make it warmer or spanky with the bass control. If I turn up the treble or the mids it adds gain. Even the bass control will add gain. I wonder if the original c+'s act like this. It's not a bad thing, I mean, you got 4 gain controls. And what's cool is to turn shed mode on with these settings. You get a kinda Mark V edge mode thing going on. It sharpens up the attack for a bright, aggressive tone. Definitely lots of tones to explore in the low gain region of this amp. Just turn off the tone stack basically and have some fun.

Some people in my circle of fans wondered why I would want an amp that has so much gain when I play primarily Blues and Rock? The same people wondered how I would trade my C+ for a C++ (metal machine). Well it turns out all amps have knobs and by turning these knobs I can dial in a great clean tone. There's a C+ in there along with the C++, just a knob turn away! I might play blues and rock but I listen to and practice metal, mostly 80's, 90's and current bands that write similar metal (Korn, Tool, System of a Down, Slipknot, etc.) so the JP2C is what the doctor ordered. Most high gain amps turn into a swarm of buzzing bees or flubber when the gain goes too far, not Mesa Mark amps. When I first heard the term "liquid lead" I thought that that meant the tone some guitarist get when their fingers are flying but you can't hear anything from their guitar. The lead, you know, melted, thus liquified tone! I didn't realize it referred to the tone I get with my Mesa when the gain is high but it's not buzzing, it's searing, that is what I expect I will get with the JP2C when it finally gets here.

Back