Mesa Mark Series Comparisons! C++, 3's, 4's, V's & More!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon Breeze

Reaction score
Good day fellow Boogie Men!(and women, well probable one, maybe two lol)

Some of the folks around the interwebs recommended that I should join up here and share my content with like minded folks! I have a small youtube channel and I currently focus on a LOT of Boogie related content, so I hope to gain some perspective from you regarding my videos and hope I also may show you something as a result! My aim is to give honest comparisons, without editing/post processing/post eq/multi layered tracks etc. You'll hear closer to what you may hear in the room vs. many of the overly processed videos that set unrealistic expectations for what you'll hear in the room with these amps. I don't claim to be the best, just honest and open to constructive criticism!

Currently have these Boogie amps on tap: IIB+ HRGX, IIC +/++ DRGX, SOB S, Mark III Red & Blue DRG, Mark IV A & B, Mark V 25 & 90, JP-2C+(Mark II Super C+), Mark VII, Single Recto V2, Dual Recto Roadster, Two Satellite 60w, Strategy 400, V-Twin V2 Pedal

I also have ventured down the Metallica Tone rabbit hole with using PEQ's etc

Here's some of my comparison videos for reference!

Here's my PEQ Shootout video

Great work! Thanks for putting this together. Question, notice in other threads that you said your JP-2C is often your "go to" amp, but you didn't do a shootout with it. Are you planning to do one?

Great work! Thanks for putting this together. Question, notice in other threads that you said your JP-2C is often your "go to" amp, but you didn't do a shootout with it. Are you planning to do one?
I do plan on doing that comparison and many more, just seemed like the interest in the comparisons slowed down quite a bit, so I'm taking a ahort break before resuming. Thanks for watching!

Hi Brandon, I think that pacing yourself is probably a good idea. You've been on fire since you started doing these!
I think I mentioned in the comments section on one of your videos that these are going to be super useful to people for a long, long time. Thank you for doing all of these.

-Daniel

Hi Brandon, I think that pacing yourself is probably a good idea. You've been on fire since you started doing these!
I think I mentioned in the comments section on one of your videos that these are going to be super useful to people for a long, long time. Thank you for doing all of these.

-Daniel

Yes sir, totally agree there! I'll be integrating other content to go along with it in between! Thanks as always for watching and commenting!

It would be great if you could put on the screen (text overlay) which amp was which. Kinda like how you see in YT shootout videos. Maybe I missed something but I didn't know which amp was #1 and which amp was #2.

It would be great if you could put on the screen (text overlay) which amp was which. Kinda like how you see in YT shootout videos. Maybe I missed something but I didn't know which amp was #1 and which amp was #2.
I purposefully don't tell folks which amp is which because I'm showing folks that these Mark series are all very similar. Thanks for watching!

How about doing some vids highlighting the range of sounds available from these amps.
Not all of us who have Boogies are metal heads and we use them for many different sounds. I appreciate what you have done with your vids but it would be nice to hear what these amps sound like with clean and overdrive sounds.
I have a 50 Caliber Plus with a burnt PCB that I am going to rebuild with a turret or eyelet board and I am trying to decide whether to rebuild it as per the original circuit or maybe make a 2C+ or something else. Hearing only heavily distorted tones doesn't help me decide which cct to use.
Thanks for the effort you have gone to so we can hear them.

How about doing some vids highlighting the range of sounds available from these amps.
Not all of us who have Boogies are metal heads and we use them for many different sounds. I appreciate what you have done with your vids but it would be nice to hear what these amps sound like with clean and overdrive sounds.
I have a 50 Caliber Plus with a burnt PCB that I am going to rebuild with a turret or eyelet board and I am trying to decide whether to rebuild it as per the original circuit or maybe make a 2C+ or something else. Hearing only heavily distorted tones doesn't help me decide which cct to use.
Thanks for the effort you have gone to so we can hear them.
I do a reasonably decent comparison with high gain lol, and that's more what I'm into, you'd probably not like my clean sounds since I spend so little time there. I did use my Blue Stripe for a marshall like OD tone in my YJM Pedal comparison video. In general the Boogie community is not very supportive with this stuff. They would rather ask the same questions over and over and get answers from folks that probably never owned any of these amps haha. I may do a few more videos because I truly do like doing them, but I'm not seeing much interest. I'm not trying to be the next youtube star or anything like that, but a little support would be nice.

Hey Brandon, I have seen many of your videos a while back. Good stuff. I will have to look into that some more when I have the time.

Just a quick question but may not be a short answer. I believe you have a Mark IVA and IVB. How would you describe the RHY2 channels. Are they different or the same?

Hey Brandon, I have seen many of your videos a while back. Good stuff. I will have to look into that some more when I have the time.

Just a quick question but may not be a short answer. I believe you have a Mark IVA and IVB. How would you describe the RHY2 channels. Are they different or the same?
Much appreciated! I honestly spend about zero time on anything but the lead or fully clean channels to date, so I'm not a good person to ask. The limited tome I have spent I typically go for Marshall like tones, which they do decently actually!

I was just curious based on a thread that was started in the Mark V forums on how great the RHY2 sounds. I had the Mark IVB and never used RHY2, tried it a few times over the 12 years I owned the amp. It just never made sense for me to use it in the combo. I appreciate your response on that subject. Thank you very much. I am much like you as I only ran the lead and clean and no in-between.
Keep the video's coming. You have the gear and that does take time to work out the videos. (y)

Back