shipping a Mesa amp internationally

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vigo1999

Reaction score
Since 2000 i dont have to go to the States to buy gear, i've always ask the seller to ship'em down here. that being said, ive bought 8-9 amp heads with absolutelly no problems, the only "issue" being a broken EL84 tube.

tons of bubble wrap and double box is a must and only that. USPS is always good (and cheaper :wink: ). just have to be care about size restrictions.

you fill the customs form in less than 1 minute (and now you can do it online!!). and probably the guy will ask you to declare a lower value on it, just cool, absolutely no problem, you sure will not be arrested for that, it's your stuff and you sell it for the price you want, right?? :wink:

talk to Jim (JimAnsell) for more details and tips, he already have send me a medium Cal50+ head :)

all in all, sell gear overseas is a breeze 8)

as for the warranty transfer, i dont think it applies (maybe if the buyer's country have an official distributor?? :?: )

Actually USPS is one of the worse ways to go. First they will only let you insure it up to $600, what does this mean, if the amp disappears then all you will get back is $600.

If the buyer pays via pay pal they are gonna do a dispute and they will win if it was not delivered and you will be out the rest of the money.

Final note, Never ever declare the value of an amp, guitar etc.. for less then it is worth, once again if it gets lost or stolen they will only pay what you declared/insured it to be.

As to other companies, most over seas people will beg you not to us UPS, because they charge a big fee. If you use fed ex and the buyer doesnt pay the import tax you get stuck with it, so i usually stay away from them. I am not sure about DHL, might want to see what there policies are.

Basically I stay away from shipping out of the states, the only way I will ship is if the buyer uses a money order, i willl not ship till it clears and then I will ship any mehtod they want because if the amp gets damaged or stolen, then it is on them.

Vigo1999 said:
Since 2000 i dont have to go to the States to buy gear, i've always ask the seller to ship'em down here. that being said, ive bought 8-9 amp heads with absolutelly no problems, the only "issue" being a broken EL84 tube.

tons of bubble wrap and double box is a must and only that. USPS is always good (and cheaper :wink: ). just have to be care about size restrictions.

you fill the customs form in less than 1 minute (and now you can do it online!!). and probably the guy will ask you to declare a lower value on it, just cool, absolutely no problem, you sure will not be arrested for that, it's your stuff and you sell it for the price you want, right?? :wink:

talk to Jim (JimAnsell) for more details and tips, he already have send me a medium Cal50+ head :)

all in all, sell gear overseas is a breeze 8)

as for the warranty transfer, i dont think it applies (maybe if the buyer's country have an official distributor?? :?: )

Yeah but, be carefull, before you give the buyer a definite yes go down to your post office, explain exactly what you will be shipping, and make sure you can insure it for that much.

2 or 3 years ago i had a guy that purchased a slo rackmount from me, he was in canada and wasnt suppose to bid. to make things short USPS would only insure it up to $600 and it all became a big headache.

If i remember right they wil only insure certain things for certain amounts, unless that has been changed in the last 2 years.

rabies said:
thx for the info guys.

@ siggy: http://postcalc.usps.gov
"You may purchase Insurance up to $3,644.00. When Insurance is purchased, it replaces the automatic indemnity coverage. Certain valuable items must be sent with Insurance. "

I've never shipped internationally before so I'm looking at customs info as well (where do you fill this out, @ USPS post office for example?)

Also looking @ how much export tranny will cost if I purchase a new amp for Europe...

If shipping from USA with USPS the buyer must pay import duties and vat upfront before goods are handed over .
Fedex deliver goods first ,then they issue an invoice for import duties and vat to the buyer direct

Communication between seller and buyer is paramount when shipping at all times either local or international ...

siggy14 said:
Actually USPS is one of the worse ways to go. First they will only let you insure it up to $600, what does this mean, if the amp disappears then all you will get back is $600.

If the buyer pays via pay pal they are gonna do a dispute and they will win if it was not delivered and you will be out the rest of the money.

Final note, Never ever declare the value of an amp, guitar etc.. for less then it is worth, once again if it gets lost or stolen they will only pay what you declared/insured it to be.

As to other companies, most over seas people will beg you not to us UPS, because they charge a big fee. If you use fed ex and the buyer doesnt pay the import tax you get stuck with it, so i usually stay away from them. I am not sure about DHL, might want to see what there policies are.

Basically I stay away from shipping out of the states, the only way I will ship is if the buyer uses a money order, i willl not ship till it clears and then I will ship any mehtod they want because if the amp gets damaged or stolen, then it is on them.

not trying to be a dick, but my experience on international trade commerce is way on the other hand. USPS never ever have lost one single CD that i have bought from the US . . . right now a friend have shipped a PRS gtr and here's her delivery status:

Label/Receipt Number: CP50 1943 115U S
Detailed Results:

Arrived Abroad, January 16, 2008, 3:13 am, BRAZIL
International Dispatch, January 13, 2008, 4:31 pm, LOS ANGELES
Acceptance, January 09, 2008, 5:19 pm, SAN DIEGO, CA 92110

see?? just 3 days to get here :shock: :wink:

i mean, we are in the 21st century, the world's smaller everyday, dealing overseas is no more a big deal, it's as easy as it can gets.

as for trusting the buyer, you'll sure have to take all your normal precautions related to a business deal, be it overseas, overstreets, overivers, overmountais or whatever :D

I've shipped several amps via USPS internationally and had no problems at all. All Mesa's and one Engl.

"They let you insure it for $600 max" doesn't sound right. I've insured all my amps for the full amount.

No problem, i just know one time I tried to ship to canada and that is what they told me. The only main concern is I would never tell someone to under value the amp, as if it does get lost they are screwed.

I am speaking of this from experience, one of my friends tried to be nice and declare the value for alot less and ended up getting screwed.

Vigo1999 said:
siggy14 said:

not trying to be a dick, but my experience on international trade commerce is way on the other hand. USPS never ever have lost one single CD that i have bought from the US . . . right now a friend have shipped a PRS gtr and here's her delivery status:

Label/Receipt Number: CP50 1943 115U S
Detailed Results:

Arrived Abroad, January 16, 2008, 3:13 am, BRAZIL
International Dispatch, January 13, 2008, 4:31 pm, LOS ANGELES
Acceptance, January 09, 2008, 5:19 pm, SAN DIEGO, CA 92110

see?? just 3 days to get here :shock: :wink:

i mean, we are in the 21st century, the world's smaller everyday, dealing overseas is no more a big deal, it's as easy as it can gets.

as for trusting the buyer, you'll sure have to take all your normal precautions related to a business deal, be it overseas, overstreets, overivers, overmountais or whatever :D

^^

Just cool Siggy :D

I feel sorry for your friend, but once you really know the buyer and have set things straight, i dont think will be a problem, eg dealing on foruns that you are well known or have a good fb on ebay also helps 8)

tk good cr. :D

siggy14 said:

:?: )
[/quote]

Wrong! I just shipped a MKIII to Australia and insured it for $850.00 it cost an extra $10.00 It made it there without a problem, and I said it was a "gift" so the buyer wasn't taxed. I want to Fed-Ex, and UPS ans USPS was by far the most reasonable.

dodger916 said:
scottcrud said:
I said it was a "gift" so the buyer wasn't taxed.

Great tip.

actually that nor always work, at least here in Brazil. here every good is registered in the name of the importer, and if they see that someone is receiveing a lot of "gifts" they start to tax'em.

a way to solve that is to check it as "other goods" and state it as "refurbished merchandise".

absolutely no tax that way!! :wink: 8) :D

I recently shipped a Dual Rec to a member here in Switzerland. No problems at all and he was a great guy to do business with. It wasn't any more difficult than shipping within the US.

Latest posts

Back