Reality check for Mesa owners...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droptrd

Reaction score
I like to cruise the classifieds alot. As well as ebay and CL. I guess I like to torture myself.

Lately ive been seeing all kinds of mesa gear going for WAY above what they are worth. The overpriced gear doesnt sell and it gets relisted and relisted. I just dont get how people figure the worth of their gear?

Its their gear and they have every right to do what ever they want with it. Just as I have every right to ***** about them in this thread.

But $1000 for a scuffed up DC5 head? $1300 for a stiletto out of warranty? $999 for a beat up purple stripe? And then there is always the 2ch rectos....

Let me give you a tip....if you dont want your Rev G to sit on CL for 10 months, you may want to reconcider your $1500 firm asking price

WTF?

rant over...

flame on...

I know what you mean dude. For the longest time I was trying to find a used 5150/6505 but I haven't seen a 5150 or 6505 go for less than $850 firm in forever. A new 6505 costs $999. Some of the ORIGINAL BLOCK LETTER OMG 5150s on ebay go for $1000.

Case in point:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-5150-BLOCK-LETTER-Amp-Head-EXCELLENT-CONDITION-/120717281440?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1b4f88a0#ht_500wt_1156

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-5150-BLOCK-LETTER-Head-Excellent-Condition-/290557209301?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a68f2ad5#ht_500wt_1156

IT MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL

Oh yeah. The same can be said of all brands lately.

The blockletter thing is rediculous. Ive been looking for another 5150 for a couple months. I bought my sig head over a year ago for $500. It kicked ***. Work was slow this winter and it had to go. I shipped it for $550. Now theyre all $700 plus. Last week I missed a very clean blockletter on CL for $500 by 20 minutes. Doh!

Prices start out high because of the low-ballers. If the "correct" price (according to whom, by the way?) is $1000, no one is going to start at $1000, because the offers are going to start at $800 or less. I know it would be nice if all sellers would sell their amps for what we personally consider the "correct" price, but that's not how the real world works.
Does anyone actually call any seller and offer the "correct" price, or do you just move on?
How do you know the seller won't accept the offer if you don't make it?
"Firm" is just a word.
By the way, the worst thing to do is start an argument with the seller over his "over-priced piece of junk".
Great - insults and arguments - I really want to sell to you now.

MrMarkIII said:
Prices start out high because of the low-ballers.
This is partially true. They also start out high because people have unrealistic expectations OR they think their gear is worth more than it really is. It completely stops being the fault of the low-ballers when you see the same piece of gear re-listed at a high price because some guy thinks his 2ch recto (or w/e) is worth $1500.. and this happens a lot.

MrMarkIII said:
Does anyone actually call any seller and offer the "correct" price, or do you just move on?
I do if it's something I really want. Unfortunately 95% of the sellers don't even bother to respond if you're a little bit outside of their original range.

MrMarkIII said:
By the way, the worst thing to do is start an argument with the seller over his "over-priced piece of junk".
Great - insults and arguments - I really want to sell to you now.
This is true too, but nobody ever mentioned insulting anybody.

I have two Tremoverbs that I purchased on Ebay.

Each are in "NEW" condition, in fact the second one was taken to a local MB authorized technician and overhauled to ensure positive end results and actually had a new reverb tank installed.

The two combos are exactly the same and not even that far apart in build dates, which supports the idea that they are cut from the same cloth or for you technicians "same revision or release".

The first one cost me $1400.00 not including shipping.

The second one cost me $900.00 not including shipping.

At the time of purchase for the first amp there were several amps listed, which I believe contributed to driving the price up...high market-high demand.

At the time of purchase for the second amp there was not much competition...low market-low demand.

Life is a ***** and having two Tremoverbs makes life bearable.

Sometimes you get lucky. Usually this occurs when dealing with another musician, as opposed to someone who buys gear only to try flipping it for profit. Case-in-point: Last weekend I picked up a '08 3-ch Dual. Looks (kinda even smells) like it's new, slipcovers, extra ftsw cable, paperwork, still under warranty...hell it's still got the original tubes in it! $1K cash, and the guy (who lives like an hour away) delivered it to my home! I did not haggle the price and actually offered him 20 extra for bringing it to me to cover his fuel or whatever.

Moral of the story? If stuff is priced way above it's value, don't buy it. Eventually prices will come down. It is the buyers who drive the market. Oh...and happy NRD to me :mrgreen:

I am surprised that out of everyone here with such knowledge of the selling world, forgot to touch on my favorite group of buyers.

*drum roll*

The person who hits you up and insists that you sell your stuff to him with 20 emails confirming addresses and paypal accounts and e-checks etc and everything is looking good....and then you wait, and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait...

Then out of courtesy you email this person because you haven't recieved your money or heard from the guy in a week - and he all of a sudden fell off the face of the planet. When he finally gets back to you...he had something come up or some BS excuse of why he doesn't have the money.

This happens A LOT.

good rants here cheers.

The irony is that a number of months back I tried to sell an amp. I listed it for what I thought was fair value... ie, 50% of new.

Based on the emails I recieved I think most people assumed there was something wrong with it. It never did sell, although I did consider jacking up the price just to see if it would get more interest.

droptrd said:
Let me give you a tip....if you dont want your Rev G to sit on CL for 10 months, you may want to reconcider your $1500 firm asking price

WTF?

rant over...

flame on...
I would guess these sellers are hoping a 'new' buyers are browsing CL not knowing the price and jump on this item.

My rant is when you are selling something on CL, someone wants to trade their effects and stomp boxes and in your ad you say "No Trades". (I don't use effects or stomp boxes)

Another rant is when a few potential buyers are willing to purchase at your list price (your list price is more than reasonable) but they would like to audition the gear before buying and yet one potential buyer will e-mail or phone offering you a lower price claiming you won't be able to sell it for your asking price. Even if you mention there's already potential buyers they think you are bluffing. They even have the nerves to phone you later with their offer when you already sold it.

Then again I guess they're doing the best being a haggler.

I always allow a little padding in my price, then when someone offers you $100 less you can say "sold!". And you both feel good about it. I always offer less and usually sellers come down a little.

Ps I just sold my 5150 head for $600. I was at $700 but this really nice 17 year old kid came over and I let him have it because I remember being his age, and it felt good that he got it. He was so excited!

Sometimes the hunt and the dealing are more fun than the actual item purchased. My wife doesn't get it. :D

You guys want to see over priced. Just spend some time at the Toronto Craigslist site. It will blow you mind how greedy people are.

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/msg/

theroan said:
You guys want to see over priced. Just spend some time at the Toronto Craigslist site. It will blow you mind how greedy people are.

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/msg/

I live in Toronto and the cost of living here is inflated compared to the rest of Canada, maybe with the exception of Vancouver. People sell used stuff here for a mint, that is just how it goes.

Monsta-Tone said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Trevoverb-Amp-100W-1800-/170644116975?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27bb2e95ef

Unbelievable!

Latest posts

Back