Reality check for Mesa owners...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Recto sat on CL for over a month due it's it's scary low price and I assumed it was broken (along with everyone else). When I finally got curious enough, I called and the guy was simply in a pinch and needed money fast. Never know until ya ask!

fluff191 said:
My Recto sat on CL for over a month due it's it's scary low price and I assumed it was broken (along with everyone else). When I finally got curious enough, I called and the guy was simply in a pinch and needed money fast. Never know until ya ask!

When I listed my LSS this past winter I asked what I thought was a fair price. Based on the responses most people thought I was asking too little and were worried that something may be wrong with it.

It's kind of funny that at 60% of retail no one would touch it... however, if I'd listed it at 75% it probably would've sold.

YellowJacket said:
So the moral of the story is to list high and let people talk you down a bit?!

Id say yes. When you want more people seem to think you have something better/special. Obviously if you're too far outside people's expectations it'll just attract ridicule... however if you're on the high end of expectations then it doesn't raise any eyebrows.

I think I listed it for either $950 or $1000, which was around 50% list. I figured it'd produce a quick sale, however all I got was a few tire kickers asking what was wrong. No one even bothered to low-ball me.

YellowJacket said:
Did you eventually sell or do you still have it?

I kept it. The headache of shipping a combo outweighed my interest in the money it would bring in.

Plus I do like it... it's just not hugely useful to me at this time. I'm planning on turning it into a head as the combo is kind of useless to me; it sounds way better through a closed back V30 loaded cab.

Hmmmm.

My brother put a Celestion G12H Heritage in his Lonestar Special and he likes it well enough now. I agree though, I generally prefer a head since I can put whatever cab I want under it. A combo is just nice when you want a single grab and go package. I was seriously considering the Electra Dyne wide body combo for this reason. It sounds amazing and being able to lift the whole thing in one trip seems appealing to me right now.

I have a G12M-25 in mine. It's an improvement over the stock speaker, particularly for the "rock 'n roll" sound I'm going for with it. This might sound odd, but I tend to use the LSS for punk. It's got the classic overdriven Fender sound in it, only with more meat.

screamingdaisy said:
I have a G12M-25 in mine. It's an improvement over the stock speaker, particularly for the "rock 'n roll" sound I'm going for with it. This might sound odd, but I tend to use the LSS for punk. It's got the classic overdriven Fender sound in it, only with more meat.

I could see (hear?) that working really well! The G12H 30 was chosen in my brother's case simply because it has more power handling. He said it really removed a lot of the mud out of the tone. The result was that the lead tone suffered a bit but he could get better crunch rhythm tones. He said it also improved low volume tones immensely.

phyrexia said:
I think the LSS is a better rock amp than the LSC, myself.

Agreed. My only beef with the LSS was the rhythm tones. Clean and lead are both epic! The Electra Dyne is more my speed because of the amazing crunch rhythm tone available on Vintage Lo. I'd gripe about the lack of note separation on the Vintage Hi mode when playing complex multiple note line rhythm parts, but more note separation would probably detract from the liquid and phat lead tone I like so much. It really amounts to hair splitting.

Back