New VIDEO: Mark V C90 vs Vintage 30 Speaker Comparison

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaggertysMusic

Reaction score
We order a lot of Mark V combos with the vintage 30 speaker, and a lot of people ask me what the differences are. Now you can hear it for yourself. I think the difference between these speakers are substantial, and is an important factor to consider when purchasing a Mark V.

Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lJYmOKC4h0

Hope you enjoy! (Comments and suggestions are always welcome!)

Love these vids. I've been running my C90 combo along with a closed 1x12 extension with a V30 lately and have gradually moved to just using the V30. Sounds so much richer and ballsier than the C90 in the combo. Actually thinking of getting a head shell and just running the V30 1x12. If you've never tried a V30 with the Mark V, I highly suggest it.

fluff191 said:
Man good video. Too bad you can't do the same speaker comparison with the new Rectifier.

Thanks for watching! We can definitely do the speaker comparison with the rectifier... it's just finding the right cab that's an issue. All my extension cab's have V30's. Any suggestions? I could just order our next 2x12 with one C90 and one V30.

I'd hate to pull a speaker out of a cab, because it's harder to sell at that point. I wouldn't want someone monkeying with 'MY' cab! :D

SBG200 said:
Love these vids. I've been running my C90 combo along with a closed 1x12 extension with a V30 lately and have gradually moved to just using the V30. Sounds so much richer and ballsier than the C90 in the combo. Actually thinking of getting a head shell and just running the V30 1x12. If you've never tried a V30 with the Mark V, I highly suggest it.

It's all personal preference. I prefer the Vintage 30 in pretty much any situation, but other guys will like the C90. The problem I see, is a lot of people end up with the C90 because it's stock, when they should have gotten the Vintage 30.

Which closed back 1x12 did you get? Is it the Thiele by chance?

HaggertysMusic said:
fluff191 said:
Man good video. Too bad you can't do the same speaker comparison with the new Rectifier.

Thanks for watching! We can definitely do the speaker comparison with the rectifier... it's just finding the right cab that's an issue. All my extension cab's have V30's. Any suggestions? I could just order our next 2x12 with one C90 and one V30.

I'd hate to pull a speaker out of a cab, because it's harder to sell at that point. I wouldn't want someone monkeying with 'MY' cab! :D

Mesa Road King 2 x 12 comes with a c90 and a v30. My favourite cabs to pair with a recto are: 1) Mesa Stiletto 4 x 12, 2) Marshall 1960ax, 3) Mills Acoustic Mach 212B, 4) Dr Z Z Best Cab (thiele 2 x 12).

HaggertysMusic said:
We order a lot of Mark V combos with the vintage 30 speaker, and a lot of people ask me what the differences are. Now you can hear it for yourself. I think the difference between these speakers are substantial, and is an important factor to consider when purchasing a Mark V.

Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lJYmOKC4h0

Hope you enjoy! (Comments and suggestions are always welcome!)

Are there any differences between the 2 speakers when it comes the efficiency? Or is it just the matter of the V30 being more mid-pronounced than the C90?

HaggertysMusic said:

It's actually a JDesign cab (pic). It's about 18" deep and has a real nice resonance. I had it sitting around empty for a while and always loved V30s so figured I'd throw one in and see what happens. Glad I did.

Thanks for all your vids, btw. They're the best ones out there.

YellowJacket said:
HaggertysMusic said:
fluff191 said:

Mesa Road King 2 x 12 comes with a c90 and a v30. My favourite cabs to pair with a recto are: 1) Mesa Stiletto 4 x 12, 2) Marshall 1960ax, 3) Mills Acoustic Mach 212B, 4) Dr Z Z Best Cab (thiele 2 x 12).

OK, I'm curious about the roadking 2x12. I just wonder if one half being closed back and one half being open back would impact the results too much. I bet the blend of the two would be killer. We had both speakers in a lonestar classic and it was great.

iceman said:
I think I'll be swapping my C90 for a V30 :D I'm surprised at how different they are.

If you buy a new Vintage 30, have your dealer order it from Mesa/Boogie. Boogie gets the majority of UK made Celestions, and if you buy one from any old celestion dealer, you'll likely get the Chinese version of the V30! :D

HaggertysMusic said:
OK, I'm curious about the roadking 2x12. I just wonder if one half being closed back and one half being open back would impact the results too much. I bet the blend of the two would be killer. We had both speakers in a lonestar classic and it was great.

Well, speaker enclosures shape tone in a profound way, probably as much as speaker selection. So yes, it would be a confounding variable but that cab simply sounds AWESOME!

HaggertysMusic said:
SBG200 said:

It's all personal preference. I prefer the Vintage 30 in pretty much any situation, but other guys will like the C90. The problem I see, is a lot of people end up with the C90 because it's stock, when they should have gotten the Vintage 30.

Im with you . Ive never been a fan of the C90 . I have V30s in all my cabs . They just get me to where I want to be . I even opted for a V30 in the Mesa 1X12 closed back/ported front cabinet . I comes stock with the C90 but I requested the V30 and the Boogie badge to match the head .
dsc00995.jpg

Once again.....really nice job Don! Please keep the excellent demos coming!

I do have a question though......isn't there a risk of overloading a V30 speaker with the MkV in 45 or 90W mode?

I'm also surprised that this speaker would work in a 90 watt amp. Is it necessary to keep the volume down or risk a blown speaker?

Also, how hard it is to swap out speakers? Seems easy.

Does it matter if you get the 8 Ohm or the 16 Ohm version?

MBJunkie said:
Once again.....really nice job Don! Please keep the excellent demos coming!

I do have a question though......isn't there a risk of overloading a V30 speaker with the MkV in 45 or 90W mode?

Thanks for the kind words! The Vintage 30 will handle 60 watts, so the only power setting to be concerned about is 90w. I wondered this as well, and our boogie sales rep said you just have to be "responsible" with it. You can clearly hear when a speaker starts to break up, and you know you're pushing it a bit too hard. As long as you bear that in mind, I don't think there will be a problem with it. Keep in mind too that boogie will warranty the vintage 30 for three years, just like the C90. As far as their concerned, it's a pretty safe match up.

If you plan on maxing the volume on your Mark V in 90 watts, you may want to stick with the C90 or add an extension cab.

bird_droppings said:
I'm also surprised that this speaker would work in a 90 watt amp. Is it necessary to keep the volume down or risk a blown speaker?

Also, how hard it is to swap out speakers? Seems easy.

Does it matter if you get the 8 Ohm or the 16 Ohm version?

I would think you would want to stick with the 8 Ohm version... unless you had a 16 Ohm extension cab you wanted to run in parallel.

It isnt hard to swap the speaker. You'll need the proper size nut driver, and you'll have to pull the tubes and reverb tank out to get enough access.

Latest posts

Back