I don't love my Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
don't want to distract from the original thread, but am curious about the ET65 and how it really compares to an EVM12L if anyone knows? I dig my Mesa 1x12 open back with an original EVM12L, very different, but blends well with my other cabs, Recto 2x12 and a 1x12 closed with Eminence Lil Texas.

I've got this old 2x10 cab, and was thinking of an ET10 paired with Retro 10. Any thoughts appreciated.

rarebitusa said:
don't want to distract from the original thread, but am curious about the ET65 and how it really compares to an EVM12L if anyone knows?

That's funny I have cabs with ET65 and have always wondered how it compares to an EVM12L :lol:

One cab with VET30 & ET65 that I prefer with Mark V. And the other with ET65 & Liberator (appears to be discontinued by WGS), pairing used with RA100. Just contact WGS and ask, as they know speakers..

I just shelled out the cash for MESA STR-441s (short bottle 6L6GC) and the change is quite dramatic. Amp probably should have shipped with these.

I'm not yet sold on the 12at7 but testing is further complicated because I have a combo and my ears are not attuned to open back cabs.

JKD said:
I just shelled out the cash for MESA STR-441s (short bottle 6L6GC) and the change is quite dramatic. Amp probably should have shipped with these.

I'm not yet sold on the 12at7 but testing is further complicated because I have a combo and my ears are not attuned to open back cabs.

FWIW I found my best tone with an external cab, added the matching Mesa Widebody 1x12 to get the best of both worlds out of my MkV combo.....now it's not completely embarrassed by the JP2C.

As an update. I’ve replaced the stock 6L6S with Svetlana 6L6s, V1 has a Genelex Gold Lion gold pin 12AX7, V4 and V6 have JAN Phillips 12AT7WC, all other tube position have Mullard Long Plate 12AT7s. I’m not really sure how much difference the Svetlanas made over the Mesa tubes. The Genelex Gold Lion in V1 might have sweetened up Channel 1. I unfortunately did both tube swaps simultaneously and it’s really hard to say what changes where made by the swap.

I did put a WGS Veteran 30 in one cabinet and a WGS Blackhawk 50 in the second cab. The Veteran 30 cab was on the floor with the Blackhawk cab on top. Individually I was not impressed with the Blackhawk, it had a raspiness to it. Almost like there was a loose piece of paper moving in front of the speaker. I tried the Veteran 30 by itself and it was more pleasing although it did have a bit of hollow midrangeness to it. Together the cabs sounded good, but the edgyness of the Blackhawk was still present. Now I don’t know what this speaker will sound like once broken in. I swapped cab positions and the Blackhawk seemed to even out, possibly since it wasn’t as close to my ear, maybe coupling with the floor changed some of the tonal qualities.

One thing I did notice is the bottom end is much tighter. I am now running Mark I and Mark IIC+ modes and actually able to dial in some bass. I would post pictures, but I can’t seem to find a decent hosting service. I did get to use the amp at volume yesterday with a drummer. The amp sounded great! Still some tweaking to do, but the Mark IIC+ sounded like early AC/DC. Not too much gain, but gritty and thick. Mark I is dialed in to sound very similar to the Mark IIC+ tone, a little darker, a bit more gain. The higher volume, as stated by forum member made, has really made a difference as well.

One other thing I did, I re-read the owners manual. Specific parts over and over, trying some of the suggestions. It really did help get the amp to sound like what I was looking for.

Try moving that V6 12at7 to V7...! (Phase inverter) You may get some more gain and have the tone you speak of, but the 3d ness (and maybe the way it hits the power section) seems better IMHO.

Markageddon said:
Try moving that V6 12at7 to V7...! (Phase inverter) You may get some more gain and have the tone you speak of, but the 3d ness (and maybe the way it hits the power section) seems better IMHO.

I had tried that and I didn't seem to notice any difference, but I am starting to realize that you need to try all of your changes with the amp set however you intend to use it, ie bedroom, studio or stage. Once the power section starts working the tonal qualities start to change (for the better!)

I'll give that another try, without everyone's suggestions I would be looking to replace this amp with something else.

Markageddon said:

I have finally settled in on the following for my studio use, I'm not saying anyone else would like these:

12AT7 in V4, V6, and V7 ( Sovtek long plates in all of the other preamp tube locations)
EL34 outputs (I lean towards a slight Marshall sound)
FX loop is rather high at 2:00 with my Flashback X4 delay
Mesa's version of the V30 when not using my 4X12 (It was offered as an option for a while when I bought my V in 2010)
Attenuator (This is a must for me so I can get the power tubes cranking with the master at least 10:30 or so)

sherrillsml said:
Markageddon said:

I have finally settled in on the following for my studio use, I'm not saying anyone else would like these:

12AT7 in V4, V6, and V7 ( Sovtek long plates in all of the other preamp tube locations)
Mesa's version of the V30 when not using my 4X12 (It was offered as an option for a while when I bought my V in 2010)
Attenuator (This is a must for me so I can get the power tubes cranking with the master at least 10:30 or so)

I will try the 12AT7 in V7 again. What attenuator are you using?

ranchak said:
sherrillsml said:
Markageddon said:

I will try the 12AT7 in V7 again. What attenuator are you using?

An outdated attenuator by today's standard. It was a kit of Ted Weber's Mass 100.

JKD said:
JKD said:

FWIW I found my best tone with an external cab, added the matching Mesa Widebody 1x12 to get the best of both worlds out of my MkV combo.....now it's not completely embarrassed by the JP2C.

BTW - how much trouble am I risking running Mesa EL34 in outside sockets and 6L6 inside (VARIAC power,90W.) I know it used to be allowed on the amp but apparently no longer...

I did it today after trying 4xEL34 (too classic and affects low end in a weird way)...and it sounds great! \m/

JKD said:
JKD said:
JKD said:

BTW - how much trouble am I risking running Mesa EL34 in outside sockets and 6L6 inside (VARIAC power,90W.) I know it used to be allowed on the amp but apparently no longer...

I did it today after trying 4xEL34 (too classic and affects low end in a weird way)...and it sounds great! \m/

I’ve wondered about this as well. I also am curious as to the earlier Mark V amps that ran EL34s. Did they have the bias switch like the new ones?

Markageddon said:
My 2010 combo did, IIRC

So did you have to run in Variac mode or did you run full power? Just curious, I'm going to sell a few more amps and I'm looking to get a back up amp (I don't know why, but....). I've seen a few used Mark Vs that have El34s in them and wasn't sure how much different they sound and was wondering why Mesa switched to 6L6s over the El34s

Sorry man. Didnt do the 34s thing when i had it. I've been 6L6 all the way. But I remember that bias switcher being there, and always checking it was still in 6L6 position after any transport, despite the collar/shroud around it.

Beyond that we'll have to throw that open to players who USED that switch haha

Markageddon said:
Sorry man. Didnt do the 34s thing when i had it. I've been 6L6 all the way. But I remember that bias switcher being there, and always checking it was still in 6L6 position after any transport, despite the collar/shroud around it.

No problem, I was just curious. I really am starting to love my Mark V! I think they only thing better would be two Mark Vs!

Hahaha They are a bit marvellous. Can recommend a 90w and 35/25w pairing too. Next best thing! (Minus the inablity to have two Tweed/Edge/Mark I modes...plenty of combinations and/or variants in same-voicing-setting there though..!)

Markageddon said:

I used EL34's in mine for a good while, loved am, especially in Mark I mode cranked with a full loud band!

I did wonder if the el34s would 'mid it up/de-rumble' a bit more on MK1... would you say thats the case, Wayne?

Back