Mark V tone help for 70s punk?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark

Reaction score
New Mark V user here.

I treated myself to the 90 watt 1x12 combo and I love it.

I have been experimenting with the different channels and settings and it is amazing but can be a bit overwhelming.

I’m hoping someone can give me some help/tips/settings to approximate an old 70s punk or garage rock tone (I’m thinking Steve Jones on “Never Mind the Bollocks”).

Thank you in advance for any advice!

I'm thinking Crunch mode with eq tweaked to taste. 240Hz slider dropped a notch to hollow out the tone a bit.

Thanks! Crunch mode was much better than the Edge mode I played with…

LOL. I was going to suggest that what you're after is in EDGE mode somewhere, but mind the treble and presence. I usually run them about 10:30 give or take when in EDGE. But, I'm no 70's punk expert, either. Glad you found something in CRUNCH!

If you find Edge too spikey, EL34’s help a lot for the classic rock/punk and hard rock tones in the amp. I had a head for about 12-13 years and edge could nail a 70’s Master Volume Marshall tone through greenbacks on the Edge setting. What kind of volumes can you deal with? Even though there!s channel masters and a Global Master, every channel sounds better turned up. The channel Masters will give you more drive and beef above 1 O’Clock and if you can get the Global master to above 4 the amp becomes a beast. 10 watt setting may help with this. I used an attenuator with my head the whole time I owned it. With a Les Paul Jr. and using Edge, I could get an awesome representation of Mike Ness’s tone on So Far Away.

Edge is a balance of not getting the treble too high, probably not above 12 O’Clock for the spikey factor on the higher strings and using the Presence to add more top end if you need it. But like the Marks that preceded it the Treble control adds saturation the higher you set it so you balance that with your gain knob. Unfortunately All my experience is a head into 4x12’s. The combo will be a different animal. You might want to look into a speaker swap. The Cel 90 is not a very tuneful speaker IMO.

….also (again on 10 watt setting, if volume tricky), try cranking the gain on the clean channel on tight or fat, all the way up. Bass lower (to keep tight), treble high (more saturation, mids in the middle or a lower and the Channel master at minimum, 2 O’Clock. If you can get the global master up a bit it will rock hard like a plexi.

Back