New Mark V Videos: In Depth Channel 1

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaggertysMusic

Reaction score
We are doing in depth videos for all 9 preamp circuits in the Mark V to really show non-believers what this amp can do! The Mark V is so much more than a 'clean crunch gain' amp. Each preamp circuit is capable of many different tones, and that's what we want to show.

Please check them out, and if you have any constructive criticism or ideas on how to present the following videos for channels 2 and 3, please let me know!

Clean & Fat Clean:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TojYhS-J5RA

Tweed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPks_OjzTQw

Thanks so much for doing this and very nicely done!

One note: The silicon diode / rectifier switch in the back for channels 1 & 2 are only selectable in either of these channels when the power is set to 45W.

With 10W power selected in channels 1 & 2 (and channel 3 for that matter) tube rectifier is automatically internally selected regardless of how the switches are set in the back (for Ch1 & 2).

Similarly with 90W power selected in Ch1 & 2 (and Ch3 for that matter) silicon diode is automatically internally selected regardless of how the switches are set in the back (for Ch1 & 2).

The only time the manual rectifier/diode switches are selectable is when Ch1 and/or Ch2 is when 45W is selected in Ch1 and/or Ch2.

In your demo, you selected the Ch1 at 10W and selected the rectifier/diode switch for Ch1 in the back to "rectifier". However, even if you manually set that switch to diodes for Ch1, you would still be hearing "rectifiers" since you were playing in 10W power mode. Not a biggie, just a clarification.

I look forward to similar In Depth Demos for Ch2 and 3. Once again, Nicely done and thanks for taking the time to do this! I am sure it will help some people understand the incredible flexibility the MkV offers for those that may not already be aware of its excellence! :mrgreen:

Nice vid. Just being picky here, but a quick cut to a closeup of how the knobs are set(or even a spit screen) would be cool. But, yeah, I think it demonstrates the wide range of things you can get out of just one channel. Good work.

Thank you for all the kind words!

One note: The silicon diode / rectifier switch in the back for channels 1 & 2 are only selectable in either of these channels when the power is set to 45W.

Yes indeed! I had brain failure on this one! Thanks for pointing this out, and I'll make the correction in the youtube comments.

Nice vid. Just being picky here, but a quick cut to a closeup of how the knobs are set(or even a spit screen) would be cool. But, yeah, I think it demonstrates the wide range of things you can get out of just one channel. Good work.

We will do this in the future videos. We can just snap a photo of the channel and eq and have a pop-up display in the videos showing the photos.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! Keep 'em coming.

Awesome videos. What cab/speaker setup do yo have mic for these?

Amp ran to a 2x12 rectifier cab, vintage 30's, Shure KSM27 + Electrovoice Raven for Mic's. Thanks for watching!

Fantastic videos. Thanks for taking the time to do a professional job at this, it would make me want to buy one and made me go in and play mine for awhile since you gave me some ideas.. Look forward to more especially channel 2 since I don't quite love it as much as it deserves.

JLBoogie said:
Fantastic videos. Thanks for taking the time to do a professional job at this, it would make me want to buy one and made me go in and play mine for awhile since you gave me some ideas.. Look forward to more especially channel 2 since I don't quite love it as much as it deserves.

Thanks man! I'm looking forward to doing channel 2 the most. There's all kinds of goodies in the mark i and edge mode!

Great video. Looking forward to the demo of channel 2. I love crunch but for the life of me can not find a decent sound in edge.

Down the road, it may also be worthwhile to demo all modes in channel 1 using a single coil style guitar. I loved the great clean sounds you were achieving with the PRS, but true single coil guitars sound great through this amp as well in all channels....and especially in channel 1.

By all means, please first proceed with similar demos of Ch2 and 3.

Great work and thanks again for taking the time to do these great demos! :D

One other suggestion would be to connect the awesome footswitch that comes with the amp during your future demos and demonstrate how the solo boost feature works.

There seems to be some confusion by some on the solo boost feature this amp offers (not me).

This will also allow you to footswitch in/out the GEQ section of the amp, reverb and effects loop for that matter without manually doing it.....showcasing the V's truly excellent gigging flexibility potential to the max.

Just a thought.

MBJunkie said:
One other suggestion would be to connect the awesome footswitch that comes with the amp during your future demos and demonstrate how the solo boost feature works.

There seems to be some confusion by some on the solo boost feature this amp offers (not me).

This will also allow you to footswitch in/out the GEQ section of the amp, reverb and effects loop for that matter without manually doing it.....showcasing the V's truly excellent gigging flexibility potential to the max.

Just a thought.

I agree with this, but don't think it belongs in the videos dedicated to the different channels. I think after all 3 channels are covered, there could be one or two more overview videos discussing things such as:
1) solo boost
2) fx loop, and how the send level affects the tone of the amp
3) tuner out
4) head vs cab (love to hear it with the 1x12 front-ported widebody)
5) anything else i'm forgetting

Excellent videos. Mesa should pay you guys. I hadn't really messed around with the fuzz tones in channel one outside of tweed. Awesome.

It may be a YouTube problem with the way they compress audio or something, but I hear distortion on the audio track about half way through the first clip and all the way through the Tweed clip. I have to use headphones at work, so maybe I am picking up something most peeps wouldn't even hear. BTW, Tweed mode and the neck pickup of a Strat is the shizzle!

wow nicely done, thanks for taking the time to put a very well done video. mesa should have done this type of videos long time ago.......

some one suggested trying different guitars (eg. single coils). how about some hollow or semi-hollow guitars. i would love to see some videos showing some jazz playing ( i know that there are many styles and sound in jazz but this amp can cover many styles) with the mark v on ch 1 fat mode.

i have been playing jazz (adam rogers, metheny ' sound) with this amp for a while and i love the versatility and the options available.

golfnguitarz said:
It may be a YouTube problem with the way they compress audio or something, but I hear distortion on the audio track about half way through the first clip and all the way through the Tweed clip. I have to use headphones at work, so maybe I am picking up something most peeps wouldn't even hear. BTW, Tweed mode and the neck pickup of a Strat is the shizzle!

Dude! That distortion was in our audio, and I am not sure why. The mic preamps were not clipping... not even close. The only thing I can think of is the mic itself was clipping... but we haven't had a problem before or since. I'm sorry this happened and I just hope people can hear past the clipping and hear the amplifier.

We filmed videos for 'edge' and 'crunch' last night and there doesn't seem to be any issue with the audio. :|

salvatruco said:
wow nicely done, thanks for taking the time to put a very well done video. mesa should have done this type of videos long time ago.......

some one suggested trying different guitars (eg. single coils). how about some hollow or semi-hollow guitars. i would love to see some videos showing some jazz playing ( i know that there are many styles and sound in jazz but this amp can cover many styles) with the mark v on ch 1 fat mode.

i have been playing jazz (adam rogers, metheny ' sound) with this amp for a while and i love the versatility and the options available.

Thank you for the compliments!

I am a terrible jazz player! :) But a guy I work with can really lay it down. The problem right now is I have NO decent hollow bodies on the wall. Maybe we'll get a sweet PRS in... or I can bring my ES-330 from home! :shock:

Great videos!!!.

I would like to see some videos especially on the clean channel of different tones based upon changes in the treble mid and bass knobs. I'm having a hard time optimizing these.

And question did you disconnect the Black Shadow in your combo for these vids or did have it connected along with your cab.

Latest posts

Back