Need Help Selecting A Cab - Ordered A New Custom Mark V:25

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
screamingdaisy said:
As soon as you say classic rock I think Greenback (G12M-25). I use a pair of them with my Mark V and they're f*cking amazing. I use a pair of Widebody 1x12s but I'd recommend a Recto 2x12 so that you get thump of a closed back cab. You'll be limited to using your amp on 10/45w modes since a pair of Greenbacks are only rated for 50w.

If you want to stick with a 1x12 then I'd recommend the Royal Atlantic 27" 1x12 with a V30 in it (which is rated for 60w and will also limit you to 10/45w modes). It's a great sounding 1x12 with a fuller response and less boxy sound than the 23" Widebody cabs. It's a rear ported cab, so it still gets some thump, yet it also spreads the sound around the room a bit.

If you want to be able to use 90w mode through a small cab you'll need an MC-90 loaded 1x12 or a 2x12 loaded with V30s (there's other options, but I'm only writing about what I have personal experience with). The MC-90 is a good speaker but I don't particularly like them. A Mesa 2x12 loaded with V30s is getting into modern hard rock/metal territory.

Mesa's V30 loaded cabs are more modern sounding... thicker lower mids, smoother top end, more punch/less crunch.

Greenbacks are it bit more middle mids, more hair on the top end, more crunch, and they scream when you solo through them.

This thread and my search are specially gears towards using a (mini)Mark V:25. So I won't have a problem with the wattage thing.
So greenbacks are great for classic rock overdrive stuff, that's great and that helps. But won't the cleans suffer then?

Abandoned said:
So greenbacks are great for classic rock overdrive stuff, that's great and that helps. But won't the cleans suffer then?

Unless you want to run separate amps and cabs for clean and crunch you're going to have to make a compromise somewhere.

I happen to like Greenback cleans, but if you're thinking you'd prefer a Jensen kind of clean sound it's going to affect your crunch tones.

I really like Greenback cleans too. It does depend on your tastes, but if you are going for classic rock then the chances are good you will like what they do clean as well.

The upper mids that give the great crunch also lead to sparkly clean tones IMO.

Well kinda bumping this thread.

Looking for more details on the 2x12 recto cabs vs the widebody closed back thiele ported 1x12. Even if you can post links to existing threads that would be great. Tried search function and I guess I dobt feel it's easy to navigate.

Is the 2x12 vertical really worth the extra $50 plus extra for shipping versus the cheaper horizontal 2x12 cab?

And I don't wanna be disappointed in too small of a tone with a 1x12 thiele.

I did get to demo the horizontal 2x12 recto and loved that for channel 2 gain sounds. Did not like the cleans at all. But the 2x12 lonestar cab was too dark for everything for me - maybe that's the c90's.

I like a big, full sounding overdrive/distortion sounds with great midrange crunch and personality. I don't think c90's fit that bill but I could be wrong.
But then maybe v30's are the negative side for cleans.

If I could provide one piece of advice it would be this. If you plan on playing with a loud drummer DO NOT buy low efficiency speakers!!!!!

I had jammed with some guys using a 2x12 loaded with G12t-75s and had a hard time keeping up. And that was with the cab tilted back towards me.

I switched to a 2x12 with Vintage 30's and had to turn down.

There is a 3db difference in efficiency between the Vintage 30 and G12t-75. Maybe at bedroom volume that isn't much but at drummer volume 3db is HUGE!

Vintage 30's cut through the mix.

Personally, I'm not using anything but vintage 30's anymore.

I would think with a loud drummer Greenbacks could also have trouble keeping up.

Just a word of caution.

Nothing would suck more then getting a cab with speakers that sound phenomenal but not being able to be heard in a mix.

I suspect the G12T-75s weren't cutting because they're kind of scooped. Both the V30 and G12M-25 are mid heavy speakers and should cut no problem.

That said, I'm approaching this as someone who uses 100w heads and my opinion may not be valid at 25w.

screamingdaisy said:
I suspect the G12T-75s weren't cutting because they're kind of scooped. Both the V30 and G12M-25 are mid heavy speakers and should cut no problem.

That said, I'm approaching this as someone who uses 100w heads and my opinion may not be valid at 25w.

Correct and with 100 watts you aren't going to have any issues being heard.

And the G12M-25 may well be fine with the Mark V25. Just need to be careful.

When I was playing with the G12T-75s I was bummed because while I loved the sound I just could not hear myself well enough. I had not equated it to the speaker yet. I was thinking I loved the tone but was going to have to sell it. And my buddy playing his 18 watt friedman pink taco could be heard easily.

Then for the hell of it we switched cabs and next thing you know he could no longer be heard and I had to turn down.

Sensitivity
G12T-75 = 97db
G12M-25 = 98db
V30 = 100db.

A 3db difference at loud volumes, coupled with the Vintage 30 frequency curve made for a HUGE difference. Don't let anyone tell you 3db isn't a big difference. Since db is relative and not a linear measurement, at low volumes it isn't a very big difference. But at drummer volumes it is a significant difference.

If there is a way I would simply make sure a cab with those speakers is loud enough for the situation.

I think Vintage 30's are the safest bet.

primal said:
screamingdaisy said:

Correct and with 100 watts you aren't going to have any issues being heard.

And the G12M-25 may well be fine with the Mark V25. Just need to be careful.

When I was playing with the G12T-75s I was bummed because while I loved the sound I just could not hear myself well enough. I had not equated it to the speaker yet. I was thinking I loved the tone but was going to have to sell it. And my buddy playing his 18 watt friedman pink taco could be heard easily.

Then for the hell of it we switched cabs and next thing you know he could no longer be heard and I had to turn down.

Sensitivity
G12T-75 = 97db
G12M-25 = 98db
V30 = 100db.

A 3db difference at loud volumes, coupled with the Vintage 30 frequency curve made for a HUGE difference. Don't let anyone tell you 3db isn't a big difference. Since db is relative and not a linear measurement, at low volumes it isn't a very big difference. But at drummer volumes it is a significant difference.

If there is a way I would simply make sure a cab with those speakers is loud enough for the situation.

I think Vintage 30's are the safest bet.

I agree with this 100%. When I got my first vintage 30 cab I absolutely hated it. They have such a pronounced mid spike that can sometimes sound harsh when you are by yourself. But that mid spike is what really helps in a band setting. After I got accustomed to my vintage 30's, I would never use another speaker unless its in a blend with my vintage 30's. Absolutely the best speaker for hard rock and metal. Good for just about anything I think.

If you want to be heard then I recommend this.

IMG_20141201_180158_951.jpg

+1

The vertical recto 2x12 give a great combination of lows and mids, thanks to the slant top. It has low end thump, but is tight. Plus it has mid cut that is aimed at your ears.

The horizontal comes out as more low-end heavy just because the speakers sit near the floor and aim parallel to it.

Comparing to a widebody ported 1x12 with V30, the mids are similar, but the ported has heavier lows and a bit better dispersion. The 2x12 has more air volume and you can hear it in the way it thumps, very lively. Both are great, but you will likely have a preference for one over the other. The 1x12 is hecka easier to transport.

ryjan said:
If you want to be heard then I recommend this.

IMG_20141201_180158_951.jpg

Sweet!

The beauty of that is you also get the top speaker aimed up.

But 75lbs.

Dang

I have a spawn horizontal 2x12, 60 something lbs.

Screw it, I may just pull the trigger and pick up one of those. It looks freaking made specifically for the Mark V25

I'm using a 2X12 Road King cab with my Mark V:25, and it is the best sound I have experienced yet. You get the tight crunchy sound with the closed back V30 combined with the more airy Custom 90 in the open back half of the cab. I have no complaints whatsoever, and it is plenty loud.

Latest posts

Back