Mark V head and Greenbacks?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonanderson23

Reaction score
I've been using the Mark V head through a Mesa 2x12 w/ V30's. Live I never go past the 45 watt setting and usually set the amp up for clean/driven blues/roots rock tones. I just picked up a Reinhardt 18 w/ is a take off of a Marshall 20 watt w/ El84's. This was originally going to be a backup but I'd like to run them together with a head switcher into the same cab setting the V up for the clean blues tones w/ reverb (BB, Clapton, SRV) and then have the Reinhardt giving the tube saturated classic rock tones (Free/Gov't Mule/Allmans). I have a new set of Greenbacks sitting around. Has anyone tried using Greenbacks with their Mesa and if so how did it sound? I've heard they help with a more organic tone cutting the decibel level of V30's.

jonanderson23 said:
I've been using the Mark V head through a Mesa 2x12 w/ V30's. Live I never go past the 45 watt setting and usually set the amp up for clean/driven blues/roots rock tones. I just picked up a Reinhardt 18 w/ is a take off of a Marshall 20 watt w/ El84's. This was originally going to be a backup but I'd like to run them together with a head switcher into the same cab setting the V up for the clean blues tones w/ reverb (BB, Clapton, SRV) and then have the Reinhardt giving the tube saturated classic rock tones (Free/Gov't Mule/Allmans). I have a new set of Greenbacks sitting around. Has anyone tried using Greenbacks with their Mesa and if so how did it sound? I've heard they help with a more organic tone cutting the decibel level of V30's.
I have not...playing that style and at that setting, it should be nice and warm...i switched to ev's because my load is just too **** heavy-loved my ol' greenies, but I **** near killed them with the C+ onslaughts!!keep us posted!I have been tempted to get another greenback cab just for that application :)

I just met up with a guy that I bought a MArk V from and I test drove it through a /13 212 cab loaded with 25w greenbacks. I was really impressed by the warmth and clarity from the cab. i was standing above it too, and it sounded realy sweet. I could only imagin what it was like to have it mic'd or standing in front. I thought the break up was JUST prefect, and the top end wasnt harsh at all.

I didnt crank it to the max of the MV, but I was pretty loud and I was able to get a lot of tones. Most notabily, the mid gain tones were very nice. I think they would go great with that blues/ rock blues type sound. I really liked playin on it. So much so, that Ive been looking this mornign at getting a Marshall 4x12 with greenbacks! :D

I was going to unload my Marshall AX/greenback cab and get a Mesa 2x12 vertical cab.
Not so sure now. I play mainly in 45w mode('till the pictures rattle on the walls :mrgreen: )
I get great, full sounding tones dirty or clean. My ED sounds killer thru it also.
Two thumbs, way up !

P3180005.jpg

Birdy said:
I was going to unload my Marshall AX/greenback cab and get a Mesa 2x12 vertical cab.
Not so sure now. I play mainly in 45w mode('till the pictures rattle on the walls :mrgreen: )
I get great, full sounding tones dirty or clean. My ED sounds killer thru it also.
Two thumbs, way up !

P3180005.jpg

Can you play full power 90w on the mark V and have this cab still sound good? I mean does it break up way to much?

id like to try the marshall cab with greenbacks, but I am afraid it will be to much power for the 25 watters to handle...

Where I live, I can't do 90w.
As with any amp, I guess it's all about eq ing it properly.
Obviously these speakers aren't going to be as ballsy and tight
as V30s for example at high volume, full power.
I love how they sound at my (lower) settings.
YMMV.

I am glad there is a thread on this. I put an add on the local Craigslist that I wanted to buy a 2X12 cab.

A guy with a Germino cab that has 2 Greenies in it responded. He only wants $400.

Clearly I think 90 watt mode is out, but I hadn't planned on using it anyway. It's been a long time since I heard greens. I might have to give this cab a listen.

Marcus71 said:
I am glad there is a thread on this. I put an add on the local Craigslist that I wanted to buy a 2X12 cab.

A guy with a Germino cab that has 2 Greenies in it responded. He only wants $400.

Clearly I think 90 watt mode is out, but I hadn't planned on using it anyway. It's been a long time since I heard greens. I might have to give this cab a listen.

I would totally do it. like stated earlier, lower wattage and volumes may be best for it. I played a 212 with grenbacks in em ,and it really sounded great... Good luck!

NR2112 said:
I would totally do it. like stated earlier, lower wattage and volumes may be best for it. I played a 212 with grenbacks in em ,and it really sounded great... Good luck!

How does channel 1 sound? Is it still very clean? I don't want to lose that.

My main cab is an avatar premier vintage 2x12 with greenbacks. It's a closed back cab. The loudest I ever need to have it is with the master volume at noon and any individual channel volume at noon. 45 or 90 watt settings. I love the mark v with greenbacks.

I have the same cab but loaded with a v30 and a g12h30. I don't like it near as much. Though to be fair, I haven't really tweaked the mark for that cab.

I have an Avatar Vintage 2x12 with the G12H30 and V30 w/ I thought I'd put the Greenbacks in. I think I'm going to give it a shot and see how it sounds.

Marcus71 said:
NR2112 said:

It was very nice. Way better than my mesa recto 412 with C90's in it. The greenbacks seemed to have chime, and a nicley controlled bottom end. The harsheness on the top end and through the mids that I get with my C90's isnt nearly as apparent on the greenbacks I played through. The greenbacks gave the clean channel a VERY vintage feeling. like the warm and fuzzy feeling you get when you watch a folgers commercial. :lol:

There was a very noticable difference.

Id love to know what you think of a cranked Mark V outta 4 greenbacks...So far, Im not impressed with my c90 speakers

NR2112 said:
Marcus71 said:
NR2112 said:

It was very nice. Way better than my mesa recto 412 with C90's in it. The greenbacks seemed to have chime, and a nicley controlled bottom end. The harsheness on the top end and through the mids that I get with my C90's isnt nearly as apparent on the greenbacks I played through. The greenbacks gave the clean channel a VERY vintage feeling. like the warm and fuzzy feeling you get when you watch a folgers commercial. :lol:

There was a very noticable difference.
I thought Mesa 4X12 RECTOS HAD V30S IN THEM. i COULD CERTAINLY BE WRONG .

phyrexia said:
They can be ordered with V30s, C90s, or GBs, but if you don't ask specifically, they'll come with v30s.

Wired em up with C90s. Took the V30s outta there :)

Latest posts

Back