Mark IV mode select problem!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mystic-Creations

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just had to take my Mark IV to the "Doctor's". I had been playing for an hour or 2 and all of a sudden my lead channel switched to the clean, even though the foot switch was set to lead. I went to the back of the amp touched the mode select knob it kicked back to lead, I let go and it went back to rhy 1. I disconnected the foot switch, tried the mode select on each channel, but nothing......only rhy1.
What do you guys think? Faulty pot, wiring or possibly something more serious? Has anyone had this happen?
I would like to send it to Mesa but I worry about the long journey. Steve's Music here in T.O. is an authorized Mesa repair center, should I have anything to worry about?

**** I just want to get her back, working 100% and looking mint as always. I've got the amp tech's e-mail so if anyone has had this before I would like to give him a heads up.

Thanks a million guys

Matt

The onboard select switch's sometimes get oxidized and need cleaning. The MB tech should be able to easily do this for you as well as give it a good looking over. He may feel it needs replaced however as I think a bad batch of them may have gotten thru at one point in time.

The select switch on my Mk4A was really cheesy. It was plastic and the back popped off when the Ebayer I bought it from shipped it to me. I ordered a new one before even looking at the insides. Then got impatient and opened her up. I realized then I could just snap it back together but was obligated to buy the new switch. Good thing I did 'cause the switch went bad the other week anyway. Takes about 20 minutes to solder in a new switch. Only 6 wires and you're good to go!

Thanks for the info guys.... I've forwarded on to the tech. No reply from him yet but I am sure the switch needs changing, as I said I just hope nothing more serious has happened.

2 days and I'm going banana's without it.

Hey guys, Just wanted to mention I got the amp back yesterday. Amp tech found a bad connection from the mode select to the board. Easy fix apparently. I'm very happy to have it back, also did a full check up, cleaned pots, tested all functions and checked connections for proper voltage, ohm readings. Clean bill of health now.

Man I was worried, I'm so happy to have it back!

Matt

Sweet! :eek:

So, I noticed you have a Mark IV and a JP6 AND you live in Toronto, I guess we have some things in common 8) Which amp tech did you bring your amp to?

Nick_cor said:
Sweet! :eek:

So, I noticed you have a Mark IV and a JP6 AND you live in Toronto, I guess we have some things in common 8) Which amp tech did you bring your amp to?

Yep I would say so... :) I brought the amp to Steve's Music, the tech has 26 years experience, which I didn't know until I picked it up. Very good with Boogies apparently....he said he enjoyed working on them more than any other amp. If you run into any trouble I would consider them, they were very careful, no a scratch, and did more than what I asked for absolutely no charge, still under warranty though.

I appreciated the preventative maintenance he did as well.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back