Mark Five Variac Power and EL34 Power Tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elliot Twist

Reaction score
First thing let me get this out of the way. I'm a "Marshall guy." My first Marshall was a JCM800 in 1985.
Eventually I went to the Marshall DSL line, and now I have 6 Marshall DSL amps, a Marshall JVM410, a Marshall Class 5, and a silly Marshall CODE 50.
When we were young teenagers we'd spend ALL DAY tweaking guitar amps only to finally profess that we finally got it "sounding like a Marshall."
Last year I was able to afford a ton of gear that I didn't need, so I figured it was time for me to get a Mesa Boogie.
I got a Mesa Boogie Mark Five head with a 4X12 V30 cab, and Mesa Boogie Mark Five 1X12 Combo with a Mesa Boogie Vertical 2X12 cab.
I've never actually played on the Mesa Boogie Mark Five head and 4X12 V30 cab because the other guitarist in our band is a "Mesa guy," and I gave that rig to him to use indefinitely.
I already knew that I personally always wanted the Mesa Boogie Mark Five 1X12 Combo and an extension cab, so I got that for myself.

I put a ton of time into twisting knobs and flipping toggle switches on my Mesa Boogie Mark Five 1X12 Combo rig, and promised that I wouldn't give in and use the Variac Power switch or the EL34 Power Tubes that I'd bought before the Meas even arrived. (because) I kinda had a funny feeling that I'd end up going to the Variac Power mode with EL34 Power Tubes.
I really gave the amp a huge fair chance the way it came "outa the box," but it just never worked out for me.
I had the Mesa rig in my home studio for several months and got it sounding what I believed to be pretty good.
I finally decided to switch it out with one of my favorite Marshall rigs that I use exclusively in our band's rehearsal room. (Marshall DSL40CR and Marshall 1966A 2X12 cab)
The first band rehearsal was a disaster and so I hooked up my favorite Marshall rig that I use exclusively in our band's rehearsal room side-by-side with the Mesa rig and spent 4 and a half hours twisting knobs and flipping toggle switches on the Mesa until I was able to profess that I finally got it "sounding like the Marshall."
Then the second band rehearsal went better, but something still just didn't click, and there was something about the sound of the Mesa that I just couldn't explain.
Near the end of band rehearsal I had Keith Bell (the band's other guitarist) flip the power switch to Variac Power. This was the answer for me, and it was like magic.
I quickly drove home and grabbed the matched quad of Mesa recommended EL34 Power Tubes and swapped out the 6L6GC Power Tubes for the EL34 Power Tubes.

I can not express how thankful I am that Mesa Boogie is such a great and thoughtful company, and that they were kind enough to offer so many options on their guitar amps.
It's true that there's too many time consuming knobs to twist and toggle switches to flip, but I'm glad now that they're available.
My Mesa Boogie Mark Five 1X12 Combo with a Mesa Boogie Vertical 2X12 cab will now remain in our band's rehearsal room for a very long time.

If anyone is considering the Variac Power mode and EL35 Power Tubes for a Mesa Boogie Mark Five I'd say "don't be afraid to give it a shot." It worked for me.
... it's the first time I've had "my favorite Marshall rig that I use exclusively in our band's rehearsal room" now in my home studio, and it's nice to have it home for the first time ever.

Rehearsal Room Rigs.jpg

First thing let me get this out of the way. I'm a "Marshall guy." My first Marshall was a JCM800 in 1985.
Eventually I went to the Marshall DSL line, and now I have 6 Marshall DSL amps, a Marshall JVM410, a Marshall Class 5, and a silly Marshall CODE 50.
When we were young teenagers we'd spend ALL DAY tweaking guitar amps only to finally profess that we finally got it "sounding like a Marshall."
Last year I was able to afford a ton of gear that I didn't need, so I figured it was time for me to get a Mesa Boogie.
I got a Mesa Boogie Mark Five head with a 4X12 V30 cab, and Mesa Boogie Mark Five 1X12 Combo with a Mesa Boogie Vertical 2X12 cab.
I've never actually played on the Mesa Boogie Mark Five head and 4X12 V30 cab because the other guitarist in our band is a "Mesa guy," and I gave that rig to him to use indefinitely.
I already knew that I personally always wanted the Mesa Boogie Mark Five 1X12 Combo and an extension cab, so I got that for myself.

I put a ton of time into twisting knobs and flipping toggle switches on my Mesa Boogie Mark Five 1X12 Combo rig, and promised that I wouldn't give in and use the Variac Power switch or the EL34 Power Tubes that I'd bought before the Meas even arrived. (because) I kinda had a funny feeling that I'd end up going to the Variac Power mode with EL34 Power Tubes.
I really gave the amp a huge fair chance the way it came "outa the box," but it just never worked out for me.
I had the Mesa rig in my home studio for several months and got it sounding what I believed to be pretty good.
I finally decided to switch it out with one of my favorite Marshall rigs that I use exclusively in our band's rehearsal room. (Marshall DSL40CR and Marshall 1966A 2X12 cab)
The first band rehearsal was a disaster and so I hooked up my favorite Marshall rig that I use exclusively in our band's rehearsal room side-by-side with the Mesa rig and spent 4 and a half hours twisting knobs and flipping toggle switches on the Mesa until I was able to profess that I finally got it "sounding like the Marshall."
Then the second band rehearsal went better, but something still just didn't click, and there was something about the sound of the Mesa that I just couldn't explain.
Near the end of band rehearsal I had Keith Bell (the band's other guitarist) flip the power switch to Variac Power. This was the answer for me, and it was like magic.
I quickly drove home and grabbed the matched quad of Mesa recommended EL34 Power Tubes and swapped out the 6L6GC Power Tubes for the EL34 Power Tubes.

I can not express how thankful I am that Mesa Boogie is such a great and thoughtful company, and that they were kind enough to offer so many options on their guitar amps.
It's true that there's too many time consuming knobs to twist and toggle switches to flip, but I'm glad now that they're available.
My Mesa Boogie Mark Five 1X12 Combo with a Mesa Boogie Vertical 2X12 cab will now remain in our band's rehearsal room for a very long time.

If anyone is considering the Variac Power mode and EL35 Power Tubes for a Mesa Boogie Mark Five I'd say "don't be afraid to give it a shot." It worked for me.
... it's the first time I've had "my favorite Marshall rig that I use exclusively in our band's rehearsal room" now in my home studio, and it's nice to have it home for the first time ever.

View attachment 2476

Great 👍

What were the magical other settings then? 😁 channel/mode/gain/tones/presence/volume/wattage/rectifier/mastervol

Great 👍

What were the magical other settings then? 😁 channel/mode/gain/tones/presence/volume/wattage/rectifier/mastervol
Channel 1 is the only channel using the sliders, the other channels use the preset EQ knob.
Channel 1 is @ 45W and is the only channel that's not @ 90W.
The Master Volume is VERY low, the Solo knob is set, but I don't use it.
I run a Line 6 POD HD500 on the FX Loop for Chorus, Delay and Volume pedal (solos), and all the patches have an EQ in them with 80Hz boosted by +3.0.

Channel 1.jpg

Channel 2.jpg

Channel 3.jpg

Graphic EQ.jpg

Master Volume.jpg

Channel 1 is the only channel using the sliders, the other channels use the preset EQ knob.
Channel 1 is @ 45W and is the only channel that's not @ 90W.
The Master Volume is VERY low, the Solo knob is set, but I don't use it.
I run a Line 6 POD HD500 on the FX Loop for Chorus, Delay and Volume pedal (solos), and all the patches have an EQ in them with 80Hz boosted by +3.0.

View attachment 2477
View attachment 2478
View attachment 2479
View attachment 2480
View attachment 2481

Thanks 👍

Did you try the channel 2 with 45W and tube rectifier.. that’s something I’ve used for a bit more gooey feel.

But my master is at around 11 o’clock as I play thru attenuator :p so it has more effect on the feel

Thanks 👍

Did you try the channel 2 with 45W and tube rectifier.. that’s something I’ve used for a bit more gooey feel.

But my master is at around 11 o’clock as I play thru attenuator :p so it has more effect on the feel
Thanks, I will look into 45 watt mode on channel 2 with rectifier.
I have several Power Soaks but stopped using them on Marshall DSL amps because "they" say everything is happening in the preamp section and the power section doesn't yield much "breakup" anyhow.
I actually compared the sound between soak or no soak on the Marshall DSL amps and sometimes found I like no soak better anyhow, especially on the Marshall JVM410.
I'll try one on the Mesa Boogie and see what I think.
The Power Soaks I have aren't expensive ones, but I like them. Bugera PS1 Power Soaks get the job done for me.
I certainly don't need on live, because Elliot Twist is a loud band.
Our rehearsal volume level may even be louder than we play live LoL.

Your EQ approach is, basically, 180 degrees away from everybody else’s around here! :))

The 5 band eq is too powerful a tool not to use it with the gain channels.

For the dirty channels, You seem to go overboard with the eq on all the channels (this is a Boogie, not a Marshall), only to find yourself, at the end, with the main tonal sculpting tool disengaged. The contour knob is nowhere near as effective as the 5 band EQ.

Have you tried disengaging any EQ on channel 1 and using the graphic EQ with both channels 2 and 3?

I would use the rotary eq controls, on the channels, way more sparingly and then compensate with the 5 band graphic eq. The first channel doesn’t need the graphic eq to sound good, IMHO. You need it, V shaped, more or less drastically, for channels 2 and 3.

Last edited:
Well I enjoy hearing the journey and that you got to a happy place, good job.

The V really is a versatile beast and I do dig mine. But to scratch the Marshall itch... the spongy mode Stiletto (with the Depth Mod) was my ultimate Mesa remedy. There is something to them el34s (y)

Thanks, I will look into 45 watt mode on channel 2 with rectifier.
I have several Power Soaks but stopped using them on Marshall DSL amps because "they" say everything is happening in the preamp section and the power section doesn't yield much "breakup" anyhow.
I actually compared the sound between soak or no soak on the Marshall DSL amps and sometimes found I like no soak better anyhow, especially on the Marshall JVM410.
I'll try one on the Mesa Boogie and see what I think.
The Power Soaks I have aren't expensive ones, but I like them. Bugera PS1 Power Soaks get the job done for me.
I certainly don't need on live, because Elliot Twist is a loud band.
Our rehearsal volume level may even be louder than we play live LoL.

yepp.. i use attenuator at home (Captor X) with cab and in rehearsals straight to PA - too lazy to lug the 4x12 around 🤣

Tone and feel is close enough for me..

Thanks 👍

I did try the 45 watt mode and tube rectifier on channel 2. I didn't like it
I have continued to twist knobs on all three channels, and it continues to sound better.
I'll have to re-post all those pic of the front controls since they've changed somewhat.
Also I've tweaked the EQ that's on the FX Loop just a little 80Hz is now boosted by +5.0.

Your EQ approach is, basically, 180 degrees away from everybody else’s around here! :))

The 5 band eq is too powerful a tool not to use it with the gain channels.

For the dirty channels, You seem to go overboard with the eq on all the channels (this is a Boogie, not a Marshall), only to find yourself, at the end, with the main tonal sculpting tool disengaged. The contour knob is nowhere near as effective as the 5 band EQ.

Have you tried disengaging any EQ on channel 1 and using the graphic EQ with both channels 2 and 3?

I would use the rotary eq controls, on the channels, way more sparingly and then compensate with the 5 band graphic eq. The first channel doesn’t need the graphic eq to sound good, IMHO. You need it, V shaped, more or less drastically, for channels 2 and 3.
I have continued to twist the knobs on all the channels.
Sorry, still only using the EQ sliders on Channel one, but they've been changed since I posted the pics of the front panel.
I'll get new pics posted after the Thanksgiving weekend.
We have reacquiring yearly gigs Thanksgiving weekend and things get busy.
For the dirty channels, You seem to go overboard with the eq on all the channels
If there was a graphic EQ for each channel I might use it on all 3 channels. I'm using an EQ on the FX Loop.
(this is a Boogie, not a Marshall)
Yeah, I know. That's why I'm a "Marshall guy."
I'm slowly getting away from trying to get this Boogie to sound like a Marshall, and just working towards getting it to sound great to my ears.
Too bad there isn't an amp where you could just set everything at noon and be already almost there.
...oh, yeah that would be a Marshall.
I've got 16 guitar amps, but never had a Mesa. I figured it was time, so I got a MKV head and a MKV combo.
I think it's going to be OK. I'm just new with these Mesa Boogie amps. I think I've almost got it.
I've got an EVH 5050III 1X12 combo that isn't easy to "dial in" either.
Also, I've been twisting knobs on my Marshall JVM410 for a year, so it's not just the Mesa that's taking time to get "dialed in."

Well I enjoy hearing the journey and that you got to a happy place, good job.

The V really is a versatile beast and I do dig mine. But to scratch the Marshall itch... the spongy mode Stiletto (with the Depth Mod) was my ultimate Mesa remedy. There is something to them el34s (y)
I'm getting there. I've got 16 guitar amps, but never had a Mesa. I figured it was time, so I got a MKV head and a MKV combo.
I think it's going to be OK. I'm just new with these Mesa Boogie amps. I think I've almost got it.
For me the first huge solution was the Variac Power mode and EL34 tubes.
That really worked great for me.
You're right the Mesa Boogie Mark Five is a heck of a toolbox, and I like mine too.
I refuse not to get it sounding great to my ears.
I have a Marshall JVM410 that I'm always tweaking too, so it's not just this MKV that's giving me the time.
I promise to get my EVH 5150II 1X12 combo sounding great to my ears too.
I have a 31 band rack-mount EQ on the loop of that thing with only 3 sliders moved just a hair (40, 50, and 160).

I have continued to twist the knobs on all the channels.
Sorry, still only using the EQ sliders on Channel one, but they've been changed since I posted the pics of the front panel.
I'll get new pics posted after the Thanksgiving weekend.
We have reacquiring yearly gigs Thanksgiving weekend and things get busy.

If there was a graphic EQ for each channel I might use it on all 3 channels. I'm using an EQ on the FX Loop.

Yeah, I know. That's why I'm a "Marshall guy."
I'm slowly getting away from trying to get this Boogie to sound like a Marshall, and just working towards getting it to sound great to my ears.
Too bad there isn't an amp where you could just set everything at noon and be already almost there.
...oh, yeah that would be a Marshall.
I've got 16 guitar amps, but never had a Mesa. I figured it was time, so I got a MKV head and a MKV combo.
I've got an EVH 5050III 1X12 combo that isn't easy to "dial in" either.
Also, I've been twisting knobs on my Marshall JVM410 for a year, so it's not just the Mesa that's taking time to get "dialed in."
Have you watched the John Petrucci Mark V Settings and Tone Tips videos on YouTube? If you go by those tips, you are in the ballpark.

Back