IIC+, Dual Recto, Triaxis, Subway. QuadPreamp. Yes I'm crazy

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A_Ryder

Reaction score
HI,

I wish I had just one rig but:-

SUBWAY REVERB ROCKET
  • Grab and run. Practice, demos, teaching on the run ... small gigs. I really like it. Not the very best boogie but it does boogie. Not so heavy :)

MESA IIC+ combo - 60/100w, EQ, "Reverb", 12EVML - very nice but I got sick of lifting it (hence the Subway).
  • *Very nice clean and rhythm channel - I used it a lot.
    *And of course we all know the lead/crunch channel.

TRIAXIS -> 2:90 PowerAmp -> Mesa Recto Quad (v30s)

• *Extremely versatile.
    *AND YES it can get a truly authentic IIC+ AND Dual Recto sound!
    *You can get a IIC+ or DR sound, especially if you plug straight into the back of a real IIC+ or DR - that helps a lot! And once you get the hang of it and those signature tones in you head you can easily dial them up with the 2:90 power amp.
    *Once fine tuned I cannot tell the difference between a stock IIC+ or DR and the Triaxis/2:90, it really helps a lot having a real IIC+/DR around to target - otherwise I'm sure I would've missed the tones and dialed straight past them....
    *Also some people say racks sound bad, well yeah if you have truck loads of FX messing up the signal, sure that's right. But if you lay off the FX this baby rocks and rocks good.
    *I do NOT have a regular rack FX box, I use real pedals and a Rocktron Patchmate (similar to Ground Control GCX...). Pedals are: Nanoverb, MXR Phasor, Flanger, Ibanez Chorus (DML10)...

DUAL RECTO - original 2ch into a Mesa Recto Quad with Vintage 30s.
  • *No need to comment on the dirty side.
    *Well they say there is no clean - that is plain stupid. The clean on this is great! My fav clean is a Fender BFDR or Twin but this DR my second fav! And yes that's an amazing statement but for me it's true!

QUAD
  • *I like how it has 4 channels and EQ - with a massive foot switch. Pretty versatile. BUT needs dialling and fussing about.
    I use to have a Studio PreAmp instead of this - I found it easier to get good tones. But are good.

ALSO: JMP1, Roland JC77, various pedals

CONCLUSION:
If God said "thou shalt only have one amp" - then I would choose the Tri-axis/2:90 - it's close because I like them all - but the Tri *can* get great Mark tones and a Recto so I suppose it has everything.

If you have read this far then pat yourself on the back and go get a beer!

Cheers.

For me, it's a toss up between my MKV and my triaxis 290, but the MKV trumps the triaxis because of it's weight (Got a cab and head setup), plus you don't have to hit enter twice to save the changes you make on the MKV, unlike the triaxis....

gummx97 said:
For me, it's a toss up between my MKV and my triaxis 290, but the MKV trumps the triaxis because of it's weight (Got a cab and head setup), plus you don't have to hit enter twice to save the changes you make on the MKV, unlike the triaxis....

Hit enter twice ha ha, yeah I know what you mean. Just matching volumes between patches is a nightmare (hence the volume pedal, I cannot live without my vol pedal, saved me 20 years worth of hard labour dialling patch settings! )

Hmm, that V sounds mighty interesting, I always thought the Tri was an encyclopaedia of boogie tone but the V has also got it all covered - Mark I, C+, etc - and all with the simplicity of a head (or combo).

(Hmmm, note to self, sell one of the kids and buy this amp).

Yes, once you try the V you might start re-thinking about the triaxis...happened to me. Less gear to lug around compared to the triaxis that needed a midi controller etc...BUT... :lol: ...i don't think i can get rid of the triaxis, it really has "world class tone" as my friends say...

The clean patch for me is hard to balance between the distortion patches, different output pick ups really show on the clean modes for the triaxis...

gummx97 said:
Yes, once you try the V you might start re-thinking about the triaxis...happened to me. Less gear to lug around compared to the triaxis that needed a midi controller etc...BUT... :lol: ...i don't think i can get rid of the triaxis, it really has "world class tone" as my friends say...

The clean patch for me is hard to balance between the distortion patches, different output pick ups really show on the clean modes for the triaxis...

Yeah I know what you mean balancing those clean vs filthy tones is an absolute nightmare - but I cheated, I just use a volume pedal.

Triaxis->VolPedal->2:90 = problem solved.

I then realised the Volume Pedal is my best friend and I can't live without it. I use it in the back of my C+ as well, that way the pre-amp keeps cooking but gives the power-amp a break. Works very well. I use a lot of different styles when I play, all in the same song, depending on my mood!. From super-clean airy finger picked chords, blues, rock, muted chords, grunge, metal, blah blah blah - but each technique has a very different sound characteristic. I suppose I could futz around with a compressor/limiter but they have never worked for me - so I just use the volume pedal.

(But still - I can feel GAS coming on for that Mark V. I love the Tri but also also love not using MIDI ;-)

Back