Help Choosing Cab for Mark V25

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gitaryzt1985

Reaction score
I just picked up a Mark V25 and need to figure out what to do about a cabinet. My gut tells me to get a horizontal 2x12, but with the weight and price, I wonder if I'd be better off picking up a couple used 1x12's, maybe the widebody variety, one closed back and one open back.

I like the thought of two stacked 1x12 widebody cabs, but how is the sound different from the horizontal 2x12? Which would you guys choose? The versatility of a grab and go 1x12 is also enticing over a 2x12.

I have a pair of Widebody 1x12s and a Recto 2x12.

I use the 1x12s because they're small and light. I use the 2x12 because it sounds better.

+1

A pair of stacked widebody ported cabs has great low-end, good wide response and good dipersion, but can be a bit fizzy and doesn't have the tight thump of the closed 2x12. With V30 they sound pretty close to the 2x12, with C90 they are VERY scooped. I had one of each and swapped the C90 out for a V30 because it sounded like there was a blanket over it when playing with my band. Sounded great at home with C90, especially with clean tones.

If you are playing classic rock or spending a lot of time playing clean, a pair of 1x12 may be preferable. The extended low-end also helps make up for the rolloff of the EL84s.

If you want the muscular sound of '80s metal or modern rock, I'd go with the recto cabs, especially with a band. Less mud, more punch. For me, the recto 2x12 beat out a Bogner 212C. The Bogner has a LOT more low-end and sounds a lot like a 4x12. But that just translated to mud with my band. The recto cab works a lot better.

I chose the vertical recto 2x12.
Aesthetically it's a perfect match for the MV:25 and it puts the head right at perfect tweaking height.
Sonically it's very focused and tight but with a bit of volume it fills the room with a 3D quality.
The weight is fine with me, it has great casters, and it fits in the trunk of my Civic.

ryjan said:
I chose the vertical recto 2x12.
Aesthetically it's a perfect match for the MV:25 and it puts the head right at perfect tweaking height.
Sonically it's very focused and tight but with a bit of volume it fills the room with a 3D quality.
The weight is fine with me, it has great casters, and it fits in the trunk of my Civic.
Recto 1x12 V30...

You guys using the recto 1x12 slant cab, no issues keeping up volume wise in a full band situation with acoustic drums and a second guitar?

The recto 1x12 looks like a nice match for that head.

I think I should add that I actually bought a Mark V25 when they came out, and sold it about 2 months later when I got BAD Two Rock gas. I realize that was a big mistake quite honestly so I'm hoping to return to what I feel is the best gigging/home amp on the market in the MV25. That said, I had the slant 1x12 min rec cab and felt that it sounded a bit bright and small. Not really boxy or confined, just not a lot of low end. I'm looking for a cab that is going to make this thing sound like a beast. Something that has a lot of bass and adds thickness to the tone.

I really like the thought of the horizontal 2x12, because I like the tones coming from the Andy Timmons demos of the MV25. I know I can't get his tone, but that setup sounds ridiculously good.

A local guy has a widebody open back with a C90 for sale locally. It's a great price so I might pick it up just to have a cab for now. I could either add a second 1x12 closed back cab to pair with it, or sell it down the road for a 2x12. I just REALLY don't want the weight of a Boogie 2x12 if you know what I mean.

gitaryzt1985 said:
A local guy has a widebody open back with a C90 for sale locally. It's a great price so I might pick it up just to have a cab for now. I could either add a second 1x12 closed back cab to pair with it, or sell it down the road for a 2x12. I just REALLY don't want the weight of a Boogie 2x12 if you know what I mean.

Typically, I use a 1x12 to jam and a 2x12 to gig, but I'll occassionally use an open back 1x12 for small stuff where I won't be mic'd and I want the sound to spread more.

IMO, it's nice to have options.

primal said:
You guys using the recto 1x12 slant cab, no issues keeping up volume wise in a full band situation with acoustic drums and a second guitar?

From my (limited) experience with a couple of Avatar 1x12 cabs with V30's I found that one cab can compete in a 2 guitar band but just barely. You have to really crank the volume and where your cab is pointed is critical.
With a 2x12 or 4x12 volume and disbursement isn't a problem at all.

ryjan said:
primal said:

From my (limited) experience with a couple of Avatar 1x12 cabs with V30's I found that one cab can compete in a 2 guitar band but just barely. You have to really crank the volume and where your cab is pointed is critical.

Thanks

For now I have been sticking with my Splawn 2x12 with Vintage 30's. It is horizontal cab but I have applied the standard vertical cab mod to it (I put it on it's side). It sounds amazing. If I get another cab it is strictly for aesthetics.

I have been eyeing the 2x12 you use but I just can't bring myself to drop the cash on it yet. I think eventually I will though. Looks like it was made for that cab. Plus I think it is a touch heavier then my Splawn cab.

primal said:
ryjan said:
primal said:

Thanks

For now I have been sticking with my Splawn 2x12 with Vintage 30's. It is horizontal cab but I have applied the standard vertical cab mod to it (I put it on it's side). It sounds amazing. If I get another cab it is strictly for aesthetics.

I have been eyeing the 2x12 you use but I just can't bring myself to drop the cash on it yet. I think eventually I will though. Looks like it was made for that cab. Plus I think it is a touch heavier then my Splawn cab.
Splawn cabs are awesome!

I did pick up the 1x12 widebody closed back cab this weekend at a steal of a price. I will probably use this until I either find a good price on a used 1x12 widebody closed back or a 2x12. I pick up my MV25 today from UPS so I am looking forward to trying it out tonight.

I'm a big fan of stacked 1x12s, so hopefully this will work out. The Mesa 1x12s are pretty portable.

I did a lot of research and demoing cabs for my MKV25 as well and landed on the Recto 2x12 (haven't decided on the horizontal or vertical yet). It just sounds the best for gain tones, seriously.
But honestly the best cab I've found for cleans so for with my MKV25 is my Z-Best.

So when I want awesome gain tones from channel 2, Mesa recto... and when I want awesome cleans and vintage overdrive breakup, Z-Best.

But it's a hard choice, cuz finding good used 2x12 Mesa Rectos is difficult but you can find used 4x12 Mesa Recto cabs all day for $500. So for me it's a hard choice cuz a Mesa Recto cab is $650-$700 new and a used Mesa 4x12 is $500.

I'm thinking about this one with Vintage 30's

http://www.carvinamplifiers.com/products/212s-2x12-slanted-cabinet

The legacy 2x12 I played through sounded awesome. And it was lightweight.

This one is 42lbs and esthetically would look great with the Mark V25 head

I wanted to chime in here and get some input. I have the Mark V 25 with a 1x12 Widebody Closed Back Cab. I want to go to 2x12. Does it make sense to get another widebody cab or get a Rectifier Vertical 2x12 cab and sell the 1x12?

Thanks,

Kevin

I have both. Depends on what you want. Chimey cleans, good dispersion, lots of low-end and lots of upper mids? Go with the two 1x12 cabs. They will have more low-end and more high-end than the recto.

Want tight, punchy bass and the feel of a bigger cabinet (I can't quite describe it - something about the air bouncing around in the bigger cab), then go with the 2x12.

They both sound great. I think the two 1x12s have the edge for clean and lower gain, the recto has it for high gain and a certain "big cab" character.

Latest posts

Back