Current value and collectabilty of the Mark II C+?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
igfraso said:
Joey B., you wrote:

"Well then, if you are looking for more of a smooth tone (not heavy metal) from the C+, I would say that you would do well with a converted B>C+ or C>C+ with the "100" power transformer. Even better might be one with the export X101 power transformer. I would not get too worried about short or long chassis, or even combo or head, as this can be changed at will. Simul 15/75 watt, as well as GEQ and reverb are nice options to have, but not mandatory for a great sounding C+. "

I am curious to understand why a B converted to a C+ has a smoother tone than a factory C+.
I have a B converted with a X101 tranny, 60/100, GEQ and reverb and it sounds fantastic so I don't oppose your above statement.
Yet, what is the reason that a B --> C+ sounds smoother in your opinion?
Thanks and regards

Wheather it is a B>C+, a C>C+ or an original C+, the export X101 or the domestic "100" will not be as dynamic as the "105" power transformer. Sometimes this is a good thing. The other end of the spectrum is the 180 watt C+ Coliseum, which is VERY dynamic. :shock:

JOEY B. said:
[
Wheather it is a B>C+, a C>C+ or an original C+, the export X101 or the domestic "100" will not be as dynamic as the "105" power transformer. Sometimes this is a good thing. The other end of the spectrum is the 180 watt C+ Coliseum, which is VERY dynamic. :shock:

Well...how can I recognize my power transformer? I have a IIC (export). What are the main differences between X101, 100 and 105?

Very interesting thread! And educational! :D Very cool! 8)

I would just say this; if you really want a IIc+, YOU HAVE TO FIND ONE!!
You won't be happy 'til you do.....nothing will sound "exactly" the same.....

But if "your on the fence", don't overlook the advantages of buying a new amp.
5 yr warranty, all new components and it will *sparkle* :p

Also, realize that filter capacitors dry out with time and/or lack of use. Transformers can get rust on the laminations that can ruin them (not cheap to replace). Vibration or 'road rash' from heavy use can cause things to loosen over the years and cause grief. Tubes of course age, too, but they are fairly cheap and easy (reminds me of an old girlfriend :lol: :lol: ).

Just food for thought here, as ultimately you have to follow your heart in making this decision.

Good luck to you! :D

markchatwin said:
The amp I'm interested in is the Mark II C head that has been modified to + by MB at MB. It has the verb, 60/100 Watt switchable, EQ. In these troubled times I'm wondering if I should plunge at 2K?

With the Mark V coming out I'm wondering if putting my money in the right place... Will the Mark II C + go up in value or down?

As a former Mark IIC+ owner of that exact model, I think I can give you a very good opinion on this.

The Mark IIC+ has fabulous tone, espcially if you like a clean with a little bit of dirt in it. I absolutely loved the amp, and if I had been a hard rock or heavy metal player, I would have never let it go. That being said, the amp is in no way worth spending 2K on. Don't get me wrong: that may well be the blue book on it (although in this economy, that number will go down for a period of time), but for 2K there ARE better amps. What do you play? If it's rock, blues, or jazz, I would be giving Top Hat a serious listen. There is also a boutique amp for $1800 that my buddy bought a year ago, and it is the best clean tone I have every heard. Plus it's brand new with point to point wiring. Bottom line: unless you're in a Metallica tribute band looking to exactly replicate the sound of the Black album, your 2K can be better spent. If you are a hard rocker or metal guy, the Dual Recto is probably a better suit to a person who will always have the distortion on.

In terms of value going up or down, ultimately it will go up and up and up. The Mark IIC+ is Mesa's most famous and conveted amp. It is the best sounding Mark series they have ever made, and Mesa themselves will tell you. I asked one of the tech's at Mesa why they don't just revert back to it, and he said Randall likes to move forward. They are making some cool amps over there lately, although I tend to stay with the older designs. He made me promise never to sell it.

So why did I sell it? I'm a die-hard Mesa guy, don't get me wrong. But for rock, blues, and jazz, the Dual Caliber line just sounds better to me. And you need to run the MKIIC+ LOUD. It's a little flat at lower volumes, which is a common trait to all of the Mark series amps. If I had it to do over again, I would never have sold it because it is probably one of the most reliably valuable amps in existence, but I only paid $800 for it. If the guy who has it now wanted $2K for it, and I had 2K, I would be calling Top Hat. Or I would buy a DC-3 for $700 and get a Les Paul Studio.

Another note: I think this amp does benefit from humbucker pickups. A strat sounds good, and I should know because strats are my main guitar, but my impression was that the humbuckers added something that this amp liked.

FYI:
>> to + by MB at MB.
MB is Mike Bertenelli or something like that. He's their head tech and has been there forever. He's modified all of the IIC+'s (if it says different than MB, than it isn't a +, and it certainly doesn' thave the same value). If you find a IIC that isn't a plus, GRAB IT at the cost savings, then put it in a box. Ship it to Mesa and they will hand it to him to do the mod, making it an official IIC+.

Also, I don't ever use a verb in a combo (it's nigh useless, I think, but that's a matter of taste), but the verb on the IIC+ sucks and is noisy. I unplugged mine. Also, if you do buy it, ADD A FAN TO THE CABINET TO BLOW ON THE POWER TUBES IF THERE ISN'T ONE THERE ALREADY.

If you have any questions about life with a IIC+, email me at [email protected]. I played a lot of gigs with mine, and can tell you most everything.

Good luck and happy shopping.

Thanks RythymChicago... There are plenty of amps that would rock my world for 2K+. Many with new warranties and long lives ahead. Knowing me I'll eventually have more than one. So I'm starting with old. I have scoured the internet for Mark IIC's and +'s and have found four for sale. None of them have that magic combo of 60/100, EQ/Reverb, head design, and of course pristine virtually original condition.

I'm setting my sights now to include weathered amps as long as the seller convinces me they're solid. Bottom line is that I have found no conclusive way to establish price since there is no trail of gavel down pricepoints on EBAY specifically on Mark IIC's. A few exist but because the amps can be of widely varying conditions with different specs 2k seems to be a starting point.

The most difficult thing is that if a person has one of these and these amps are so mystical then they ain't gonna sell them save for a crazy price. And even then sometimes the amp becomes part of the player and a Boogie owner is not going to chop off his arm for any price.

settecorde76 said:
JOEY B. said:
[

Well...how can I recognize my power transformer? I have a IIC (export). What are the main differences between X101, 100 and 105?
The power transformer is the one nearest the power cord. You should have either the X101 or X100 (earlier version that does not have the 100 volt option...I have this one in my C+). Some say that the 100 is smoother, not as aggressive as the 105. Some say the 105 is the "true voice" of the C+. Mike B told me he thought the export transformers were best suited for the C+. Let your ears decide.

rhythmchicago said:
FYI:
>> to + by MB at MB.
MB is Mike Bertenelli or something like that. He's their head tech and has been there forever. He's modified all of the IIC+'s (if it says different than MB, than it isn't a +, and it certainly doesn' thave the same value). If you find a IIC that isn't a plus, GRAB IT at the cost savings, then put it in a box. Ship it to Mesa and they will hand it to him to do the mod, making it an official IIC+.
[/quote]

actually there are a very few RCS signed MKIIC+'s ... my DRG happens to be one of them.

DSCF1337.jpg

DRG-38 November 1984

boogie2.jpg

DRG-38 November 1984 14 Units higher.

Hint as to why the RCS signatures are there:

Purple Rain Tour
Tour by Prince and The Revolution
Location United States, Canada
Supporting album Purple Rain
Start date November 04, 1984

dodger916 said:
The power transformer is the one nearest the power cord. You should have either the X101 or X100 (earlier version that does not have the 100 volt option...I have this one in my C+). Some say that the 100 is smoother, not as aggressive as the 105. Some say the 105 is the "true voice" of the C+. Mike B told me he thought the export transformers were best suited for the C+. Let your ears decide.

My ears tell me that the overall sound fits all my needs....so....many thanks, Randall Smith!! :D :D

settecorde76 said:
Well...probably the MarkV is a great versatile amp, but the C+ is the "Holy Grail" with his unique sound...and increase his value day by day, it's a matter of fact.
The question is: do you want a great modern amp or a vintage monster?

Not to be rude or anything regarding price increase, but so did US home prices until recently. I'm not saying I think the "C+ bubble" is going to burst or anything, but prices are bound to decrease somewhat in a matter of time.
"No trees grow into heaven".

I love the amp, but please don't see this as an investment.

And for you guys who own like 5 of these with Export-transformers for investement purposes - would you please put at least a couple of them up on the Bay for the international players? :shock:

Ha ha. Just a bit jelous of that one.

But seriously ;) it's a great amp and i love mine, but at the same time I think it's WAY overrated amongst the fans in many respects.

Folks,
To be quite honest, I'm quite embarressed and sorry that the Boogie fans allows the C+ to overshadow every other Mesa product... Who gives a f@@k about the Studio Preamp??
Guess what! It's actually just TOO f@@king CLOSE to the C+, and if everybody knew, they'd go for at least $2000 on the Bay just because of that fact.

No pun intended whatsoever, but someone has to just step up and face the facts.

BR. Another proud C+ owner telling everyone to ease down just a little bit... they're great, but they're not for everyone. ;)

Oh, and another thing here. I care to elaborate a little on the value bit. This is pure economics.

It is you guys ie. the market, who decides the price of the amps. If there wasn't such an incredible DEMAND for this specific model, prices wouldn't have been so consistanly high. On the same note, theoretically, if everyone here got himself a C+ or the amounts of C+'s desired, prices would HAVE TO decrease as this would physically affect the offer/demand balance and therefore also the prices, which would fall back. The market would be pleased.

This is basic economics. Nothing increases forever. Don't believe that for a secound.

Great Tone, though. :)

supramax said:
This is basic economics. Nothing increases forever. Don't believe that for a second.

Have you followed the prices being paid for a 1959 Gibson Sunburst Les Paul?

I understand what you are saying about economics, but there are some exceptions to the rule.
And I agree, the C+ is not the ideal guitar amp for everyone. 8) I too, think the amp is overrated by many fans, FOR ALL THE WRONG REASONS. :evil:

Now is an interesting time for prospectively purchasing a IIC+. There are a lot of deals to be had; several IIC+'s on Ebay have gotten through without heavy bidding. I have no doubt that the Mark V in IIC+ mode is a substantially different amplifier than a IIC+, but it is also clear to me that there are less people looking for C+'s, because they are already spending their money on Mark V's. Also, consider the fact that the recession makes now a good time to buy just about anything for those that have any disposable income. For these reasons, I took the plunge a couple of days ago and bought an amp that I've always wanted. After playing through it for a couple of hours, I couldn't be happier with the amp and the price I paid, which was substantially less than $2k. Also, the Mark V's aren't going anywhere, any time soon.

One other interesting note, a Mark IIC+ with simul, GEQ, reverb and EVM totalled about $1300 in 1984. In comparison, $2k or less in today's dollars seems like a reasonable price.

When I am looking back to the 80`s and think about the price
the C+ was sold here in Germany for new, they are today a way cheaper.

For a new fully loaded export C+ simul imbuya combo the price was 4500,-DM
Thats in euros 2300,- ! If you find one here today, the price would be the same.

And thats cool 25 years later with an overall income-growth of 50-70% over the years.

Prices for new gear are much higher today, the Mk V Combo costs here 3200,-euros.

I may have been a little off in my little obnoxious rant there and I'm sorry. I'm just really opposed to buying a C+ as or partly as a speculative investment. Play, hear -don't look. Haha. =)
I've been looking at the 'bay and I see items that are sold for up to $4000 and I just think that this is a little too much.. I dunno... it's a lot of dough for even a great old vintage amp, and I would just wish that there wasn't such a "do or die" attitude towards the Mark series here. A lot of fellas out there cannot afford this bill and I guess it must feel pretty crappy with everyone saying that NOTHING can compare.
I was 1000x more happy with an old ugly Peavey 5150 head than with a full Triaxis/290/Gmajor rack for several years myself. Still to this day, while the C+ is "the king", I can get a pretty similar lead tone from the Peavey. Not saying they sound very much alike, just that you never know. On the cost side, I paied 1/4th for the 5150 compared to the rack... =)
And yes, the recession will definetly create oppourtunities, but we'll have to wait at least half a year to see it affect this.

Anyway, love my C+ and I still might purchase another one for the right price someday...

Latest posts

Back