video of the jp2c

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everything about this second video annoyed me. I hated the tone, way to much mids and kinda brittle, and the effects killed it. and i didn't like the song either, especially the vocals. What is wrong with mesa here, plug a guitar in and open it up and show this beast off. no effects, no overdubs, no post production, just crank it up! just clean with reverb alone can sound killer too. come on mesa.

Buster Leggs said:
The original C+ is a very versatile amp. Many different genres of music by different types of guitarist has been one of the C+'s attributes. This video sounded to me like the JP video when he was on the extreme setting on channel three . I was really counting on the 2nd video to demonstrate a different sound , to show other examples of this amps capabilities. Something more of a smooth singing sustain type sound. I was more impressed with the 1st JP video. I'm sure for some people that 2nd video is the sound their attracted to and maybe that's who Mesa is targeting . I just expected the other end of the spectrum or a different example of what this amp can do provided there is one. Hopefully once mine comes I'm able to dial in close to the tone that made me a C+ fanatic. That 2nd video may have excited some or maybe many for that matter, but for me it kinda ruined my day. I don't know maybe I pulled the trigger to soon , I wouldn't have bought one if I heard those videos first. At least not until I got more information and some feedback.

I kind of agree with the sentiment, but I think this amp will be versatile; mesa seems to be really targeting different facets of metal with the two vids released so far...once they release a play-through video like they usually do, I think we'll get a better chance to see/hear what else this amp is capable of. I don't really like the djent stuff but it seems to be quite popular these days, so i'm not surprised that the most recent video is catering to those tones/players to attract them - most probably assume the c+ reissue can do scooped metal but possibly not mid-heavy articulate djent tones.

I still have it on preorder and I have a feeling you won't regret your decision once it's in your hands.

I too thought that last vid sounded a bit sharp. To my ears anyway, but like Rich said, the vid would be catering towards a specific style. I wouldn't go so far as to say it means that amp is gonna be crap! I think some people might be jumping the gun a bit from some of the comments i've seen both here and on youtube. I doubt we're gonna get video's of different styles / genre's until after it comes out and other people do them as i would think Mesa is gonna keep pushing it towards this specific market.

I'd love to hear some proper 80's style thrash and also some slow old school blues type tones. Doubt that will happen for a while though like i said before. I defo agree on the effects tho, especially in the Petrucci video, but then i prefer effects to be subtle in the sound anyway.

barryswanson said:
I'm not sure why Mesa would want someone with so many pedals demoing their amp.
because lots of potential buyers use pedals...

Sad to say but I found the last video somewhat underwhelming... :roll:

No, it did not sound bad. Not at all.

But it didn't sound special either. Heck, I'm sure that I could pretty much nail that tone with my Mark V, with a boost pedal at least (and maybe even that wouldn't be necessary). So why the big fuss?

Yeah, I believe the new sig amp probably isn't just a Mark V repackaged...even though this video goes a long way to prove me wrong there. :roll:

LesPaul70 said:
Sad to say but I found the last video somewhat underwhelming... :roll:

No, it did not sound bad. Not at all.

But it didn't sound special either. Heck, I'm sure that I could pretty much nail that tone with my Mark V, with a boost pedal at least (and maybe even that wouldn't be necessary). So why the big fuss?

Yeah, I believe the new sig amp probably isn't just a Mark V repackaged...even though this video goes a long way to prove me wrong there. :roll:

100% agree

I had a simul-class blue stripe and a 100 black stripe Mark III's and there was a difference. The blue sounded smoother and more "modern" so I sold it. I like edgy/sharp sounding amps with a bright attack.

I've never heard the two together to compare. If the 60/100 is sharper sounding than simul class then i doubt i'd like it. I found the Mark V to be too sharp wiith 6L6's, much better with EL34's though.

This has just reminded me of a post i think from the first page of this thread where someone said the JP2C not being simul class would annoy the Metallica "fanboi's", they might have had simul class iic+'s but they didn't record with the full amp as i recall.
Is there any evidence ( like an interview or something ) as to why metallica used the power section of a JCM 800 rather than the simul class power section of their Mark ii's? Maybe that was because they didn't like the smoothness of the simul class power???

Great point about the Marshall power section! I typed up a long response and went over to the Monty Jay website to get the information about MOP and one of those Freaking pop-up ads where you have to force quit in order to not have it download a virus popped up so… well, really great point about the Simul-class. I get beat up about my Mark IIC+ SRG being the "dog of the line" because it's not a DRG.

Markedman said:
Great point about the Marshall power section! I typed up a long response and went over to the Monty Jay website to get the information about MOP and one of those Freaking pop-up ads where you have to force quit in order to not have it download a virus popped up so… well, really great point about the Simul-class. I get beat up about my Mark IIC+ SRG being the "dog of the line" because it's not a DRG.

There are no "dogs" in the C+ line whatsoever ;)

Markedman said:
well, really great point about the Simul-class. I get beat up about my Mark IIC+ SRG being the "dog of the line" because it's not a DRG.

There are no "dogs" in the C+ line, for sure. As far as the Metallica thing goes, it is a 100 watt pentode
power section. IF they pulled it from the effects "send", it will be all preamp of the C+ and Marshall power section.
If they used the slave output, then the Simul-Class power section of the Boogie becomes involved. None of this makes a **** to me as I do not own the first Metallica or Dream Theater recording.

I'm a long time Mesa user, and have been using the IIC+ nearly exclusively for a number of years. Count me as one of those underwhelmed with the demos. I guess time will tell, but it sounds more like a recto than a IIC+.

As to the "dogs of the line," well DRGs sell for far more than 60s and were considered a premium product at release. Not sure where the debate is since the post markedman is talking about was in regards to market demand and pricing - not tone.

For what it's worth, I have played both Simul and 60/100 versions of IIc+'s and III's, though not side-by-side, and based on my experience, I would say Markedman is on the money here:

Markedman said:
I had a simul-class blue stripe and a 100 black stripe Mark III's and there was a difference. The blue sounded smoother and more "modern" so I sold it. I like edgy/sharp sounding amps with a bright attack.

The above pretty much summarizes my experiences as well. To my ears, SimulClass tends to sound smoother, more modern, and more compressed (relatively speaking). 60/100 tends to sound warmer, edgier and more organic. There is a kind of out-of-control rawness to its sound whereas the SimulClass version sounds more controlled and civilized.

It's a matter of personal preference really. A IIc+ is a IIc+, and there's a bigger sonic difference between a IIc+ and a III than between a SimulClass IIc+ and a 60/100 IIc+. For a straightforward rock amp, I think I could prefer the 60/100 version because of its extra edge and aggression, but for metal, the Simul has its pros as well, especially if your ideal metal sound is dark and menacing.

rich said:
Buster Leggs said:
The original C+ is a very versatile amp. Many different genres of music by different types of guitarist has been one of the C+'s attributes. This video sounded to me like the JP video when he was on the extreme setting on channel three . I was really counting on the 2nd video to demonstrate a different sound , to show other examples of this amps capabilities. Something more of a smooth singing sustain type sound. I was more impressed with the 1st JP video. I'm sure for some people that 2nd video is the sound their attracted to and maybe that's who Mesa is targeting . I just expected the other end of the spectrum or a different example of what this amp can do provided there is one. Hopefully once mine comes I'm able to dial in close to the tone that made me a C+ fanatic. That 2nd video may have excited some or maybe many for that matter, but for me it kinda ruined my day. I don't know maybe I pulled the trigger to soon , I wouldn't have bought one if I heard those videos first. At least not until I got more information and some feedback.

I kind of agree with the sentiment, but I think this amp will be versatile; mesa seems to be really targeting different facets of metal with the two vids released so far...once they release a play-through video like they usually do, I think we'll get a better chance to see/hear what else this amp is capable of. I don't really like the djent stuff but it seems to be quite popular these days, so i'm not surprised that the most recent video is catering to those tones/players to attract them - most probably assume the c+ reissue can do scooped metal but possibly not mid-heavy articulate djent tones.

I still have it on preorder and I have a feeling you won't regret your decision once it's in your hands.

Rich I think you're probably right, when I wrote the above post I was unaware the amp was "leeked" to the public before Mesa intended to announce the new product. So whatever the reasoning behind the choice of videos, its a decision they apparently made to market the JP 2C on the fly under less than ideal conditions. And although most people feel they dropped the ball, they have a long history of preferred protocol presenting new products to the public . This seems to be their strategy under unexpected premature public knowledge of a new product customers have been requesting for years. They must have their reasons for not producing more videos, its got to be by design although most of us don't understand why. I gotta believe that the JP 2C is capable of being a more versatile amp than has been displayed up to this point. So as Rich said, once I get it in my hands I doubt I'll regret my decision. ......and then they'll release the simulclass version :shock:

Hello,

About Mesa videos, I agree they are not at all entertaining. I thought they found something very exciting with the Mark5:25 videos demoed by JP. Funny, and the tone is glorious, it retranslates quite well how the amp would react in our rehearsal room.

To Mesa/Boogie team, please inspire from this Mark5:25 tonelounge video, this video is simply awesome and I am quite sure this video had a huge influence on the success of this particular amp.

The video of Andy Timmons demonstratating the Mark5:25 could be perfect also as inspiration.

Back