video of the jp2c

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
barryswanson said:
Good point. The only thing Mesa said that was different on the V apparently is the coupling capacitor. But you do make a good point what else is different ? I wish some one would do a sticky on how to change that coupling cap from the none EQ to the EQ version on the V :mrgreen:

I heard a demo video where JP compared the 2C+ mode on a Mark V with a 2C+. I recall they were strikingly similar sounding. [edit] here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbPgr63aaQ4
But since the market has been continuing to call for a 2C+ reissue, they decided to do this as well. Makes sense from a business standpoint and having access to heavy lead and rhythm tones on different channels seems useful, if a bit redundant.

Of course, Mesa never really nails the 'perfect' recreation of older circuits as we have seen. (Compare different iterations of the rectos for example)
Likely there will be something different about the 'spirit' of this Mark, it having an A/B power section vs a simulclass one, and other subtle variations. The sort of things corksniffers care about.

In terms of the current market, this product is likely a huge thing because it seems to be geared more toward the heavy music player. That being said, I'd probably prefer a Mark V with clean and two Channel 3s instead. Extreme mode is more my sort of bag haha.

YellowJacket said:
barryswanson said:
Good point. The only thing Mesa said that was different on the V apparently is the coupling capacitor. But you do make a good point what else is different ? I wish some one would do a sticky on how to change that coupling cap from the none EQ to the EQ version on the V :mrgreen:

I heard a demo video where JP compared the 2C+ mode on a Mark V with a 2C+. I recall they were strikingly similar sounding. [edit] here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbPgr63aaQ4
But since the market has been continuing to call for a 2C+ reissue, they decided to do this as well. Makes sense from a business standpoint and having access to heavy lead and rhythm tones on different channels seems useful, if a bit redundant.

Of course, Mesa never really nails the 'perfect' recreation of older circuits as we have seen. (Compare different iterations of the rectos for example)
Likely there will be something different about the 'spirit' of this Mark, it having an A/B power section vs a simulclass one, and other subtle variations. The sort of things corksniffers care about.

In terms of the current market, this product is likely a huge thing because it seems to be geared more toward the heavy music player. That being said, I'd probably prefer a Mark V with clean and two Channel 3s instead. Extreme mode is more my sort of bag haha.

the real reissue of the IIc+ Lead channel is the MARK IV , as they share carbon copy Lead circuit ! the V is more Modernish in mind, lots of gain and zzzzzz filter !

would be interesting to see the schematics of the JP2c, wouln't be surprised if it share circuity leads with MARK V

BlackBoxy said:
YellowJacket said:
barryswanson said:

the real reissue of the IIc+ Lead channel is the MARK IV , as they share carbon copy Lead circuit ! the V is more Modernish in mind, lots of gain and zzzzzz filter !

would be interesting to see the schematics of the JP2c, wouln't be surprised if it share circuity leads with MARK V

You would be surprised... : )

BlackBoxy said:

I like what Petrucci says at the beginning of the video where he explains that there is a certain degree of variance between one 2C+ to the next, particularly because of the different variants released. The Mark V's 2C+ mode sounds sweeter with more upper mid zing while the Mark 2C+ sounds phatter and more fuzzy. With a fairly minor tonal difference, I would have to take Mesa's word that they based the 2C+ mode on one of their designer's favourite iteration of that amp.

Authorized Boogie said:

JP basically said in the JP 2C video that all original parts were sourced to create basically a match for his favourite 2C+. Of course, there will be those that complain that the JP 2C is not the same is their vintage 2C+ and likely, this will be the case because there are variants out there. (Just like there are variants with rectos)

I suspect that the 2c+ mode on the Mark V is based off of one 2C+ while JP's signature is based off of another so we get two flavours of ice cream available at once. Pretty great.

One thing is for certain; this amp is the biggest mesa fanservice ever. Players have been clamouring for this amp to be re-released for ages and now they got what they wanted. We have a simulclass version of the 2C+ tone in the Mark V as well as an A/B version of a far more flexible 2C+ which appears to capitalize on what a Mark series amp truly excels at. What's not to love?

So regarding the video, its cool to see JP go over the features and why it is setup the way it is. I do wish he would have backed off of the effects, like delay, so we could hear the amp dry.. but im sure the new few mesa videos will take care of that.

Regarding the actual design of the amp, IMO it is exactly what i was looking for. I have a Mark V, and dont enjoy / need ch 2 that much, i would much rather have 2 x ch 3. So with the release of this amp they managed to make that.

Regarding the issue that poeple just want a "real" IIC+ reissue, which model would it be, since making 10 models like they used to with 100w / Simul, GEQ, Reverb and all of the different combinations would make it impossible to make a perfect reissue.

The new amp is like an original C+ with the V1 mod (petrucci)( ch1) a C+(ch2) and the ++ mod (Hetfield)(ch3) and you get a cab clone and midi controllable all for cheaper than what I paid to get my original C+ to do this years ago.... Of course its already ordered.. :lol: :lol: :lol: Touche MESA!

dmcguitar said:
Regarding the issue that poeple just want a "real" IIC+ reissue, which model would it be, since making 10 models like they used to with 100w / Simul, GEQ, Reverb and all of the different combinations would make it impossible to make a perfect reissue.

Yes, this exactly. I think this was the problem with the 2c+ mode on the Mark V. With the Mark V and the JP 2c, at least we get two varieties of 2C+ covered and that's really not so bad.

@Authorized Boogie - I'm curious to know how the the sound on the video was captured.
Not seeing the mic, assuming it's not cabclone, is it a "hidden" 1x12 miced off center like on the rig pics earlier in this thread?
(What mic is the one that is not an SM57?)

Sounds beautiful - thanks :)

CJ Grimmark said:
@Authorized Boogie - I'm curious to know how the the sound on the video was captured.
Not seeing the mic, assuming it's not cabclone, is it a "hidden" 1x12 miced off center like on the rig pics earlier in this thread?

Mesa 4x12 Traditional Straight Cabinet with Celestion Vintage 30s. Mic’d with a Mojave FET 301, Royer 121 and Shure SM57, into Neve 1081 preamps and bussed to a channel into an SSL Duality 48 console. Delays and reverbs are a TC Electronic 2290 and a Bricasti M7 Reverb. Engineering by Rich Chycki. Recorded at Germano Studios, NYC, November 11, 2015.

Authorized Boogie said:
CJ Grimmark said:

Mesa 4x12 Traditional Straight Cabinet with Celestion Vintage 30s. Mic’d with a Mojave FET 301, Royer 121 and Shure SM57, into Neve 1081 preamps and bussed to a channel into an SSL Duality 48 console. Delays and reverbs are a TC Electronic 2290 and a Bricasti M7 Reverb. Engineering by Rich Chycki. Recorded at Germano Studios, NYC, November 11, 2015.

That's great info - thanks a lot!:)

Maybe Mesa is going to end up like Gibson guitars. Amps have kinda hit a wall in terms of groundbreaking innovation. Amps have just leveled out here the past 20 years and now vintage amps seem just as relevant as the modern ones. Gibson pumps out these historic reissues trying to capture the magic of the old guitars. Like mesa did with the V. Gibson also copies specific guitars, like Jimmy Page, Slash, Bonamassa and so on. Now mesa is copying specific amps, JP. And everybody has thought to themselves "Is Hetfields amp next?" And it doesn't have to be a specific artist, Gibson just finds beautiful Les Paul's and reissues them. They dig up some cute story and tell about the guitars journey and then try to make a few hundred clones. Wouldn't it be something if that's the road mesa takes. Finding specific Mark amplifiers and recreating them. Marketing them with that specific amps "journey" and tone. I'm just daydreaming out loud here but since amps and guitars are so similar, in that they have individuality, each one can be so different from the next. Id like to live in the universe where that happens. :p

SamuelJ86 said:
Maybe Mesa is going to end up like Gibson guitars. Amps have kinda hit a wall in terms of groundbreaking innovation. Amps have just leveled out here the past 20 years and now vintage amps seem just as relevant as the modern ones. Gibson pumps out these historic reissues trying to capture the magic of the old guitars. Like mesa did with the V. Gibson also copies specific guitars, like Jimmy Page, Slash, Bonamassa and so on. Now mesa is copying specific amps, JP. And everybody has thought to themselves "Is Hetfields amp next?" And it doesn't have to be a specific artist, Gibson just finds beautiful Les Paul's and reissues them. They dig up some cute story and tell about the guitars journey and then try to make a few hundred clones. Wouldn't it be something if that's the road mesa takes. Finding specific Mark amplifiers and recreating them. Marketing them with that specific amps "journey" and tone. I'm just daydreaming out loud here but since amps and guitars are so similar, in that they have individuality, each one can be so different from the next. Id like to live in the universe where that happens. :p

You think? Gibson keeps trying to flog the same old models with questionable build quality.
Over the last five years, Mesa has had a number of very unique and wonderful offerings that unfortunately have not caught on.

As for the 2C+ re-release, people have been clamoring for it for years. So, we have an updated version with modern features. I suspect Mesa will release some interesting designs in the future but I think they are also correctly reading the market right now. The Mark V will hold its own against almost all modern, high gain heads.

I don't think that Amp design has hit a wall though. New gear is coming out all the time and much of it is properly good and useful. It's just that a good portion of this innovation is in the digital arena or to do with combining digital with analog technology.

Mesa is still in it glory years, one could say. Randall is still designing and running the show. But what direction will the company take in the post Randall Smith years? Not digital I hope, but who knows if it's anything like Gibsons fate. It is just so suprising to me that they would release an amp like the JP2C. Obviously the market is calling for it but will this be it for the 2c+ recreations? Is mesa starting to lean to much on their past success? And it's not just mesa leaning on the past but the people are calling for it.

I'm not trying to criticize or say anything bad about mesa. I'm looking forward to this new amp as I am a mark lover. I just started thinking about what's next for mesa. Should I buy the JP2C or wait to see what mesa puts out next. Their new models, as great as they are, usually don't catch on. Will mesa, like Gibson, always be known for their past success? Can they make a new classic or will the market just not let them. Calling for an even better 2c+ recreation. It's just fascinating to me. I can't wait to get my hands on one of these new JP heads. Will that master of puppets tone live inside it too? Mesa created a monster back in the 80s. But like they say, if it's not broke, don't fix it.

I for one think Mesa is breaking new ground with this amp. Is there anything else like it? Nothing. We're talking totally new territory here, a tube amp with 2 assignable GEQs!!! 8) You can't say any amp is a better design because there really is nothing like this amp. What would you compare it to? Mark V? It makes any two trick pony Marshall/Fender type boutique amp look like it came from the sixties and as far as "modeler" designed crap, well.....

This is such a stinking interesting topic. It's not really Mesa's fault that their newer and more adventurous designs have not caught on. I mean that is a way of testing the market to see when they get a 'hit'.

In terms of forward moving innovation, I get the impression that the JP 2c is a 2C+ at heart but it is definitely updated for more modern applications hence the 'shred' mode. It's also cool that the shred mode is midi programmable. I also agree that there really aren't many amps on the market like the mark series amp. The Recto, being the rage, in the 90s, was the tone to copy so we have piles of high gain heads with cold clip circuits. The advantage with Marks is that the amp has a much more mid focused voice with a lot more high end. It's a great antithesis to all the dark, growly, modern high gain / recto knockoffs.

In terms of moving tone forward, the one thing that Mesa could try would be to release a successor to the Recto or at least something that is like a Recto, but heavier, tighter, and more aggressive. Rather than just updating and re-releasing a similar product, try to move onto the next thing. So many metal bands used a boosted recto and that kind of became a starting point for most modern high gain builders. Tight like a mark, roars like a recto, and has more hair, gain, and balls on tap when necessary. THAT is what is really necessary to compete currently and I think the absence of this is why Mesa is losing ground in that market.

As far as the Stiletto, Electra Dyne, and Transatlantic series is concerned, we have a brand perception issue. How do you convince hardcore Marshall & Fender fans that a company like Mesa -known for their contributions to Thrash- is capable of creating amps that have very different voices.

As for digital vs analog, sure we can hate on modelers but IMO, the torpedo live mops the floor with the cab clone all day, every day. Sorry mesa ;) Glenn Fricker says it best in his video but you guys can google that if you're really curious :p

Authorized Boogie said:

kind of Mark V filter triode V6a with M7 M8 Filter switches? or a mint gain IIC+ triode, as the gargantuesque transformer seems to lead?

we ll see ;)

Markedman said:
I for one think Mesa is breaking new ground with this amp. Is there anything else like it? Nothing. We're talking totally new territory here, a tube amp with 2 assignable GEQs!!! 8) You can't say any amp is a better design because there really is nothing like this amp. What would you compare it to? Mark V? It makes any two trick pony Marshall/Fender type boutique amp look like it came from the sixties and as far as "modeler" designed crap, well.....

if you look at interview of RS about his young years on youtube, he tells alot about his talent in the building, the main link between all gears petaluna produced is first passion, plus a full wave strong PS , rectifier stage and subtil choosen (alway quality) components, all builded like tank, and of course circuiticy design adding this magic touch that most of actual boutique brands wanna copy (when they get enough time to turn eyes of copying fender or marshall legend vintage circuit gears)!

Back