slant cab vs. straight cab 4x12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the.rev

Reaction score
okay, noob question, i know, but i'm trying to figure out what mesa cabs i should try out and i'm looking for some feedback, is there any difference tonally or sonically between a slant and straight cab?

would a straight cab at ear level sound just like a slant cab when standing in front of it so the speakers are angled up at you?

what would be the better cab to go with for a half stack, a slant or straight and what about a full stack, is it fine to use two straight cabs?

how would a stiletto sound using a recto cab, conversely how would a recto sound using a stiletto cab?

i'm thinking about getting a recto 4x12 and 2x12 for my rectoverb so i'll have like a 3/4 stack, with the flexibilty of breaking it apart if i want to be able to take just the 2x12 to smaller gigs, but i'm not sure if i should be looking at a slant or straight.

any help pointing me the right direction would be great.

They sound almost the same.

Straight cabs tend to have some more low end (slight difference).

Its more about looks.

that's kinda what i figured, but i've heard from some that there's no difference except for the angle of the speaker and the perception of the sound depending on cabinet vs. listener position.

Slant cabinets have smaller interior dimensions due to the slant, this rolls off some of the low frequencies, at floor level, it is almost imperceptible. You notice it at ear level though. Personal preference.

I prefer traditional sized cabinets for either a Stiletto or Rectifier amp.

The slanted seems to have some phase cancellation the straigt doesn't have.
Also I let my bassplayer play thru the slant and straight cab. Now the difference was very obvious! STRAIGHT all the way :D

Latest posts

Back