Recent loop modded mark IIb questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy,

I just got my 1983 SRG IIb (RP9C) home from Petaluma. Full work over and loop mod. There are multiple explanations of what the loop mod is technically, but I’m looking for those who are familiar with the “tweaking” experience and how this new knob interacts. I’m very familiar with the front of my green stripe mark III and how to dial in….looking for some advice on the IIB regarding setup. It seems to act differently than my III and I’m struggling to dial it in. Preamp tubes are Russian mesa 12ax7’s and a 12at7 in v4. I dumped the JJ tubes and put my 415’s in (much better), but the suggested setting on the new post level control of 8 makes the amp clip to my ears. The distortion seems over modulated. If I dial this post level back to 5 I can get closer to a sound I’m looking for ( standard articulate high gain that rings clear while strumming full chords). I play heavier stuff, but use this high gain full chord strum as a litmus test when dialing these marks in. Vol 1 7.5, Trb pulled 7.5, Bass 3, Mid 2, Drive 7, Lead vol 5. Presence 7. Standard “V” EQ.

This IIB is a little harder to grasp…looking for some tips or “this is what my settings are” statements. It’s a little “honky” and I’m trying to dial it out. I’m familiar with mark behavior, but this one if different to me. I know there are a few of u who use these, so any advice would be helpful! I’m also considering my cabs…I have a 2x12 recto which I could do without and a 4x12 metal grill with a v30, mc90, and 2 evm 12Ls.

What cabs/speakers do you like with the IIb? My III is dialed in but this amp is fighting me. Any advice would be appreciated…

Thanks!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back