Mini Recto?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok i need your input b/c you also own the dual recto.

I had a DR in college, and I loved it. I don't play in a band anymore and I can't crank a DR at in my home without having the police called on me (i've tried), so I got rid of the DR.

I want to get a mini, but only if I can get a true recto tone out of it. I don't want a small high gain amp, I want a small RECTIFIER. What's most important to me is getting that classic recto tone that I became so accustomed to in college. Do you feel that the tone is genuinely 'recto' sounding, or just a smaller interpretation of that classic sound. To me, the ideal recto tone is that ultra compressed metallica/dream theater type sound.

If the mini recto doesn't offer a true rectifier tone (i'm skeptical b/c it doesn't use 6l6s), I might just try to score single recto combo or head and just use an attenuator.

any input on this is greatly appreciated.

ChrisRocksUSA,

I know that your question is addressed to YellowJacket, and he will correct me if he disagrees, but IMO....Ch2 (both modes) of the Mini Rectifier is definitely "Rectifier Sounding". The Mini will also allow you to enjoy the "Rectifier Sound" at manageable volumes which sounds like a good thing for your current needs.

By all means, try before you buy....

Best of luck.

Chris,
it may be a unique flavour of recto but it sounds every bit a recto. It isn't simply a small high gain head, but it is a small rectifier. It sounds cranked at 'lower' volumes and does bedroom tones way better. The Dual Recto will always sound bigger because it pushes more low end and more air overall. It SOUNDS like a 100watt 6L6 head while the Mini SOUNDS like a 10watt EL-84 head. The feel is also somewhat different, where the mini feels spongier and springier while the Dual feels thicker. With the mini, if you put it with the right cab, it sounds huge. It is probably the biggest and punchiest 10/25 watt amp I have ever heard!

If anything, the Modern 25 watt setting on the Mini is actually more extreme (more gain, more scoop, and more bite) than the Modern mode on the old 2 channel dual. The clean is also really warm and expressive which is great. Overall, the mini is more versatile, extremely portable, and it sounds awesome. Pair that up with the right cab and I think it would be a good fit. Just be forewarned, if you crank it you'll probably have the cops called on you!

-YJ

hey guys thanks so much for the replies, much appreciated.

Unfortunately I can't actually play one until march at the earliest. My concern isn't how loud it is, I just need the 'voice' of the little thing to sound correct. I don't want it to sound buzzy/fizzy.

i am going to check out a rectoverb head on saturday. I'm probably buying it, I dont know that I can wait until march. I'm hurting to have a mesa again, it's been years and I'm playing a spider III right now :cry:

It is like EVERY recto, It sounds better as you turn it up. The low volume buzzy / fizzy characteristic of rectos in general is quite possibly a byproduct of a Celestion v30 with almost no power through it. March really isn't that far away and good things come to those who wait. Nothing worse than making an impulse decision and regretting it later!!!

That's a good point. We'll see.

If I end up with the rectoverb I'll no doubt be buying an attenuator to go with it. It's only 50 watts (ONLY lol), so hopefully between the lesser output and a hotplate I'll be satisfied. Nothing's set in stone yet.

8)

ChrisRocksUSA said:
That's a good point. We'll see.

If I end up with the rectoverb I'll no doubt be buying an attenuator to go with it. It's only 50 watts (ONLY lol), so hopefully between the lesser output and a hotplate I'll be satisfied. Nothing's set in stone yet.

8)

IME you will be better off with a good Graphic EQ in the loop to fine tune "bedroom" level tones than using an attenuator. YMMV.

Also, 50W is not much of a difference in level from 100W, maybe 2dB. For reference, 10W is half the volume of 100W (and my MKV in 10W is still LOUD!).

Regardless, the ROV is a great amp, as are all the Rectos.

Dom

domct203 said:
ChrisRocksUSA said:
IME you will be better off with a good Graphic EQ in the loop to fine tune "bedroom" level tones

Dom
Really? I've never heard that. I thought the tube really had to be pushed/hot to get that ultra compressed recto sound :?:

ChrisRocksUSA said:
domct203 said:
ChrisRocksUSA said:
IME you will be better off with a good Graphic EQ in the loop to fine tune "bedroom" level tones

Dom
Really? I've never heard that. I thought the tube really had to be pushed/hot to get that ultra compressed recto sound :?:
The Recto series, and most modern "Hi-Gain" amps are based on cascading preamp gain to push the preamp into saturation (Recto "growl" or bite) reinforced with a powerfully clean output section (Recto "thump").

Dom

I've pushed my Dual Recto into power tube overdrive before. It is impossibly loud and the sound turns into a muddy mess. I mean you 'could' turn the gain way down and get a completely different tone out of the amp, but why bother? You won't be able to hear the drummer.

do you guys think the MR can take on a club? i mean i pretty use a bandit with 80wtts and the volume go around 1o'clock or noon... but sometimes its need to be more louder...
anyways i'm really considering to get it... the MR i mean!!!
thanks...

ironjose said:
do you guys think the MR can take on a club? i mean i pretty use a bandit with 80wtts and the volume go around 1o'clock or noon... but sometimes its need to be more louder...
thanks...

Have you ever heard a Bandit through a Mesa 4 x 12? I did that and it was STINKING LOUD!
The thing about the Bandit is that the stock speaker isn't so efficient so you need more power to move the same amount of air. Are you running the 1 x 12 combo alone? This will only give you so much power before the speaker begins to fart out.

Running at 10 watts a Mini will be half as loud as a 100watt head. At 25 watts, it will probably be about 6db quieter than the Bandit. My suggestion for clubs would be to get a Vert or a Horizontal 2 x 12. If you get the horizontal one, run it on its side and put the head on top. Better yet, put the head on the ground and angle the 2 x 12 so you can hear it better. I think you'd be surprised the sheer amount of volume these little things can produce. I've done a few clubs with my Electra Dyne at 45 watts and I couldn't get the master volume past about 8:00. I played an outdoor show with the 'dyne' on 90watts and the master volume at 9:00. The amp sounded awesome but I couldn't hear anyone but me. Mesas are LOUD amps and the Mini has some horsepower if necessary. With the Mini, you can run a 2 x 12 and you'll get the 6db increase to match the Bandit 112 combo.

My advice is this: If you need squeaky clean tone with tonnes of headroom, get something like an Electra Dyne or Lonestar. The extra power makes for great cleans with little or no distortion. If you are primarily a grit player, get the mini. There is some clean headroom, but the edge of breakup tones will keep you smiling for days and you'll be able to get that cranked tone from hell at completely reasonable volume levels. The club owners will be glad to have you back!!

YellowJacket said:
ironjose said:
thanks...

Have you ever heard a Bandit through a Mesa 4 x 12? I did that and it was STINKING LOUD!
The thing about the Bandit is that the stock speaker isn't so efficient so you need more power to move the same amount of air. Are you running the 1 x 12 combo alone? This will only give you so much power before the speaker begins to fart out.

Running at 10 watts a Mini will be half as loud as a 100watt head. At 25 watts, it will probably be about 6db quieter than the Bandit. My suggestion for clubs would be to get a Vert or a Horizontal 2 x 12. If you get the horizontal one, run it on its side and put the head on top. Better yet, put the head on the ground and angle the 2 x 12 so you can hear it better. I think you'd be surprised the sheer amount of volume these little things can produce. I've done a few clubs with my Electra Dyne at 45 watts and I couldn't get the master volume past about 8:00. I played an outdoor show with the 'dyne' on 90watts and the master volume at 9:00. The amp sounded awesome but I couldn't hear anyone but me. Mesas are LOUD amps and the Mini has some horsepower if necessary. With the Mini, you can run a 2 x 12 and you'll get the 6db increase to match the Bandit 112 combo.

My advice is this: If you need squeaky clean tone with tonnes of headroom, get something like an Electra Dyne or Lonestar. The extra power makes for great cleans with little or no distortion. If you are primarily a grit player, get the mini. There is some clean headroom, but the edge of breakup tones will keep you smiling for days and you'll be able to get that cranked tone from hell at completely reasonable volume levels. The club owners will be glad to have you back!!

well the last big gig i did i ran the bandit thru a carvin 2x12 and it did a great job... so i planned to run the mini thru that cab... so you would say that the mini can don its job versus a line6 spidervalve... yeah i play all kind of music from the police to death metal... so i need a versatile amp... i was thinking of getting a roadster but the price tag on the mini really likes my wallet... hahaha thanks

First of all, when it comes to tones, the mini is not even on the same planet as the Line 6 Spider Valve or the Bandit. Totally a pro quality piece. It really sounds excellent!

Well, the mini CAN do many tones but it really only has a couple on tap at any given time. The roadster, on the other hand, has four channels so there are many more options readily available. In my opinion, the best approach is to use the old 'turn down the volume knob to clean up the tone' trick. This can get you a lot further with the two channels! For covers I'd suggest running a few guitars (LP, Strat, Tele) or maybe look into a Godin Icon. http://www.godinguitars.com/godinicon2convertiblep.htm

These things can do multiple sounds in one instrument, something which is ideal for playing covers. Being able to switch from 'passive' to 'active' pickups makes it great to go from blues to metal without switching dials!!

I am honestly considering the Mini Recto again. See, my ears are ringing like little bitches right now. I have used hearing protection for quite some time and it rips my gitch that even with these measures, my ears still feel abused. See, I was at rehearsal on Wed and I was told to bring a 'small' amp for my bass guitar. I figured a singer and two acoustic guitars would be fine, but I was wrong. The singer cranked the PA and whined that he didn't want to strain his voice. Now, consider that he had his voice and both acoustics LOUD, and my Bass -through a 15watt guitar amp- was barely heard. By the end of the rehearsal, the speaker was fried. Man, no point in gigging when all the money I make is lost replacing broken equipment. GRRR! Next time, I'm bringing my 500watt bass amp and a good set of ear plugs! TAKE THAT!!

I have two awesome tube amps and I NEVER get to turn them up because the results are positively thunderous. Definitely been on the fence since I tried the Mini... While I like the massive girth and crunch of my Dual, the thought good tone at more appropriate sound levels is very attractive. Basically, 95% of what I do would be covered by a small format amp. This includes teaching, practicing, and all the playing I do. Anything extra would be covered by whatever large displacement head I decide to keep. (Most likely the Electra Dyne)

:cry:

well i know a bandit is know here in my country like a 4x4 the spidervalve on the other hand has a little class coz of the valves... but they day i tried the roadster my ears and heart blew... i mean i never wanted to stop playing it... so i have my mind into it... but i heard so many good reviews about the mini i thought well this is reachable and has a great tone... but im afraid about cutting into the mix with it...
anyways... i saw this video where they did an A-B comparison with the Dual... and the only thing is missing is bottom end but not for that much...
so right now i want it and want one!!!

HAHA, bass is for BASS GUITARS!!!

You just need a proper cab for the Mini and you'll cut fine. Just remember this, when you need to hear yourself, turn up the mids!!

well the carvin cab... sounds awesome... and with a 3/4 open back has the right amount of headroom and top end...
and the thing is my crunch sound using a mesa preamp in the gt8 its kind of scooped but i'll keep in mind that tip!!!

Latest posts

Back