Mini Recto?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowJacket

Reaction score
I was out checking out gear today for fun. After playing possibly the best bass guitar ever made, I stopped off at the local L&MQ and discovered that they had a Mini Recto in stock. Let the fun begin!

Man, these amps are SMALL and CUTE!!

So I hooked up a Gibson Les Paul Studio to a Mini Recto through a Stiletto 4 x 12 today. I ran the tone stack in typical recto fashion (all flat with the presence at a quarter)

Cleans: Definitely buttery recto fare with warmth and snap added by EL-84s. LOVED IT! Sounded great on both triode and pentode!

Modern High gain: On triode, it is less aggressive with less highs and bite. Definitely smooth and great for soloing. On Pentode, it gets bloody loud. Basically, it was quite an extreme tone. Definitely recto but less smooth, firm, and controlled than I am used to. My 2 Channel Dual sounds like it is as aggressive as all hell and it is barely trying. This head roars with a particularly frantic sort of intensity; it sounds like it is always cranked, no matter what the volume. The feel with almost squishy and the crunch tone was marvelously complex. Pure metal on Pentodes / modern mode. Maybe it is just me but the tone sounded very scooped to me. Almost annoyingly so.

Vintage High Gain: It was ok on Pentodes but I found 'my' sound on Triodes. The crunch here was more balanced and it worked well both for lead playing and chording. This amp definitely has a clean and a crunch that I really like.

I was having a lot of fun but something was frustrating me. The sound was maybe inherently buzzy in some way? I figured it might be the cheap Gibson LP Studio (that kept going out of tune) so I decided to test that theory. I powered up the Electra Dyne 2 x 12 combo for comparison sake and ended up playing that the rest of the time there.

Ultimately, the Mini Recto blew my mind but when I tried it for myself, I found my self not really getting it at all. It is like this shirt you see and think that it looks awesome, but when you try it on it is ill fitting and looks stupid. Your skinny short friend then tries it on and it looks as awesome as you thought it should.

Things to test: I would have to try it with MY guitar through MY cab to really form a FAIR opinion on it. I have a feeling it would perform much better with those conditions in place. That being said, I am very familiar with Rectos so I had a pretty good idea what to look for.

Conclusion: For me, I guess I'm too old for toys like this? The amp is AMAZING and definitely the sort of size and format I would want but it just didn't jive with me. I wished it would but it didn't. If I was in the market for something to do recto tones, I'd probably get this rather than one of the large format amps. Since I already have a Dual, I'm inclined to stick with what I have. For those who wish to downsize, definitely try before buying. That being said, take my opinion with a Grain of salt. 6 months after I got my Electra Dyne it is still my #1 and people who are huge fans of the DUAL tone will probably like this little gem much better.

Great review Yellowjacket! That is how I thought the Mini Recto would play.

I'll prob pick one up eventually, but I'll buy one used, post-honeymoon. They seem like a perfect practice amp for Recto tone at home.

Dom

domct203 said:
Great review Yellowjacket! That is how I thought the Mini Recto would play.

Hmm. Well, I was actually expecting more mids and less bass / highs. The modern tone in pentode was actually scooped and **** heavy, even with a Les Paul Studio. The amount of bite in the highs is definitely an updated tone and it is great for metal. Ultimately, the things that irritate me are the things that irritate me about rectos in general, especially the newer ones. The squishy and more compressed feel was different but not so bad. It just doesn't have the horsepower / thump of a large amp.

I'll prob pick one up eventually, but I'll buy one used, post-honeymoon. They seem like a perfect practice amp for Recto tone at home.

Dom

Yes, this is exactly it. It is a studio quality practice amp / tone machine for the bedroom player / weekend jammer. It is versatile, sounds huge, and is incredibly easy to transport.

The next day I have nagging questions. Based on my experience with Yellow Jackets, I found that the lower wattage of the smaller tubes made it very hard to drive 240 watts worth of v30s. I really REALLY want to try the thing with a 1 x 12 or a 2 x 12. I suspect that it would have much less trouble powering a 60 watt speaker or even a 30 watt speaker like a G12H 30. I also really did like the tone I got with triode / vintage high gain. It was much more my thing and the amp sounds cranked at much lower volumes which is really great for low volume applications.

If I was to rank my favourite tones in order of preference, I'd put the Electra Dyne first followed by my 2 Channel Dual Recto and then followed by the Mini. I didn't like the mini as much, going to be honest here. BUT the Mini is more flexible, does more tones, and sounds cranked from the moment you turn it on. The Vintage / Triode setting was definitely one I could live with.
For me the question is ultimately this: Do I need two 4 6L6 amps? I'm really wondering if the convenience of a smaller package would be better? I mean for practicing and church playing, every hair of volume you can get counts. For clubs, it doesn't matter whatsoever. I have NEVER had a volume problem with my Electra Dyne at rehearsal or at a gig. It always sounds great.

Basically, I KNOW my Les Paul will sound considerably better than the one I was trying. I also KNOW that the amp will sound more open and 'breathe' better with a 1 x 12 since the amp has to do less work to move one 60 watt speaker than it does to move four of them. But even with all of this, what is to be gained? It comes down to convenience vs preference. I would PREFER a lunchbox amp for small stuff and a big one for big stuff. I also have a repair coming up on the Dual in a couple of years. At age 20, it is time for a cap job!

But, if I don't love it, what is the point? I guess I like the IDEA of the mini more. Perhaps my solution should be the same as yours: wait a few years for the hype to die down and pick one up used. I don't really have need of one just yet!

Size doesnt matter.....

Let me start by saying that I'm not a recto guy and had NO intentions of picking up one of these despite my curiousity regarding the EL84 power tubes .... but after one of my buddies let me try it out at his place.... and after playing one at the local GC (just to make sure my ears were not decieving me the first time I heard it) I had to pick it up!! No, my wallet wasnt very happy but that's another story. I was skeptical when I first heard about this amp. I thought it was Boogie just trying to capitalize on the micro / mini head trend out there. But no! This amp is for real.

Yes, it has slightly buzzy / fizzy distortion, as previously mentioned, keeping true to the rectifier series... um... "distinguishable character?" I found the fizz less overbearing compared to the 100+ watt Recto's, especially at less than ear bleed volumes. As far as buzz, think old school single recto. In a band setting or even jamming along to some tracks the buzz quickly gets lost in the mix. Tame the buzz by using something other than a Vintage 30 or other high-accentuating speaker. Im running mine through a 2x12 3/4 back cab and it sounds great. However, I thought it sounded great through the matching 1x12 (V30) and even better through a Recto 2x12 cab. Enough on the buzz.

I find myself switching between channel 1 / 2, clean/ pushed, modern / vintage and 10/ 25 watts and actually finding enjoyable tones in EVERY combo of switches / channels, etc. Something I can not say about some other Boogies which shall remain nameless. :)

Channel 1: Warm cleans, breaks up fast in the 10 watt mode. Rounder/ fuller as you'd expect in the 25 watt mode. Pushed adds just the right amount of gain for those folks wanting to a bit of grit. Crank the gain, 10 watt mode, pushed - you get some serious saturation!

Channel 2: Metal. Typical Recto goodness (for those of you that like the recto's distortion.) As mentioned in a previous post, sounds like a cranked recto... at pretty much any setting... without the ear bleed volume. Switching between 10/25 and vintage/ modern simply yields different flavors of cranked recto tone. Modern sounds a bit more open and aggressive. 10 watts feels like there is a little bit of sag/ compression but not too much. Just the right amount of mids. Scoopable if that's your thing.

FX loop: Yep, a must have since there is no reverb. Thank you Boogie! Im running a Dr Scientist reverberator in the loop for a little depth and its simply killer.

Footswitch: Yes, single button channel switcher. All you really need, right?

Slipcover: No, but even better.... a little carrying case!

Just the right amount of features and more than enough tonal options. Very usable tone controls. Its hard to get "bad" tones out of the mini. Well, aside from diming the treble and presence controls. Im keeping the treble at half, the presence at just about zero in case you were wondering. In a band setting, I'd imagine I'd add some presence to cut through a little more. Be careful with the bass control. Depending on your cab, guitar, etc it is possible to achieve the Mark series bass flubbiness. But no, you dont have to keep the bass at 9 oclock or less. :)

Im still not sure about the $1000 price tag, but I figure I'd rather buy it now then risk a price increase as NAMM is just around the corner.

And yes, as everyone knows 25 watts is pretty **** loud. Enough to get you kicked out of your apartment or to have every member of your household ready to kill you.

MY CONCLUSION: Boogie got it right. If you are looking for recto tones in a stripped down mini head format this is for you! Great if you are looking to downsize or if you want your recto glowing red. Skip it if you need the clean head room. 25 watts might not cut it in all situations. Pass if you are looking for a less buzzy / less hairy tone (a la the Mark series.)

Mesa Boogie: Please make a mini Mark!

Ya, pretty much that.

As much as it didn't jive with me, I still want to give it another honest go with my guitar. I'd love to AB one with my 2 channel Dual.

Dear Mini Rectifier,
it was a rough first date but I just can't get you off of my mind. I am haunted by the crunch / lead tones of Vintage / 10 watt mode.

signed -YJ

Dear YJ,

I can not get you off my mind either.
Take me home.

- Mini Rec

YellowJacket said:
Dear Mini Rectifier,
it was a rough first date but I just can't get you off of my mind. I am haunted by the crunch / lead tones of Vintage / 10 watt mode.

signed -YJ

YellowJacket said:
... Based on my experience with Yellow Jackets, I found that the lower wattage of the smaller tubes made it very hard to drive 240 watts worth of v30s. I really REALLY want to try the thing with a 1 x 12 or a 2 x 12. I suspect that it would have much less trouble powering a 60 watt speaker or even a 30 watt speaker like a G12H 30. I also really did like the tone I got with triode / vintage high gain. It was much more my thing and the amp sounds cranked at much lower volumes which is really great for low volume applications.
...I was having a lot of fun but something was frustrating me. The sound was maybe inherently buzzy in some way?

I'm not an experienced amp user and haven't own many in my quite long "trying-to-be-a-guitar-player" carreer! lol :lol:

But after reading your post, I had to comment as I did try my Mini with various speakers in the past weeks:

The 12" Celestion 70/80 in my Traynor YCV40 combo
Peavey Triple XXX 4x12 cab
Marshall 1960A 4x12 cab
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 and a beat up Fender 4x12 (both of these are at the rehearsal place we rent).

Except for volume issues 1x12 vs 4x12, I haven't noticed that the Mini had problem pushing any of the speakers combo up there. I'm planning building a 2x12 (or 2 1x12 cabs) in the coming months for ease of transportation.

----

As for the "inherent buzzy sound", you haven't own a Peavey 5150/6505 don't you? lol :lol:

I own a 6505 and still like it (it's a different beast), but it way more buzzier (side by side) than my Mini Recto (as for me, my Mini doesn't seem to have that buzzy tone you a refering too). But, I'm comparing it to another amp that it's way more buzzier! I may tone deaf... :shock:

----

Speaking of price, I know this topic comes back very often on most web forums out there. I don't know for you guys in the US but the Egnater 30w mini head (made in China) sells around 800$ here in Canada. I've played both (not side by side) before pulling the trigger on my Mini andbut the Mesa feels way more solid and is weight is balanced when you pull the handle compared to the Egnater.

The Egnater is a good sounding amp, nothing bad to say on it, but I'd rather buy a USA made product for a few $$$ more than the one made in China. And overall, I prefered the Mini modern channel to the "Marshall-like" on the Egnater.

----

And for those worried about it, the Mini Rectifier is LOUD enough to play with a full band. At my last rehearsal, I could compete with my loud drummer, second guitarist's Mark IV and bass player's Ampeg. I had no issues cutting through the mix and being heard. 8)

Good job Mesa!!!

BenoA said:
I'm not an experienced amp user and haven't own many in my quite long "trying-to-be-a-guitar-player" carreer! lol :lol:

But after reading your post, I had to comment as I did try my Mini with various speakers in the past weeks:

The 12" Celestion 70/80 in my Traynor YCV40 combo
Peavey Triple XXX 4x12 cab
Marshall 1960A 4x12 cab
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 and a beat up Fender 4x12 (both of these are at the rehearsal place we rent).

Except for volume issues 1x12 vs 4x12, I haven't noticed that the Mini had problem pushing any of the speakers combo up there. I'm planning building a 2x12 (or 2 1x12 cabs) in the coming months for ease of transportation.

----
I guess I'm talking about the perception of power. With my Dual, there is this 'openness' to the sound with this pant flapping percussive low end. The amp SOUNDS like a monster. With the Mini, you just don't get that open tone with the big clean poweramp tone. It is different, not good or bad. I find that with a 1 x 12 or a 100watt 4 x 12, you get a more 'open' tone that breathes easier, but that's just me.

I'm curious, which speakers did you like BEST with the Mini? I'd be tempted to try it with a G12H 30 or a couple of greenbacks.

As for the "inherent buzzy sound", you haven't own a Peavey 5150/6505 don't you? lol :lol:

I've played the Peavey and it sounds like a hive full of angry hornets. My #1 is an Electra Dyne that has a violin smooth creamy / crunchy tone. It is really the most elegant, smooth, and downright regal crunch tone I have ever heard. Rectos in general have much more attitude, especially the newer ones. I noticed that Modern High Gain / 25 watts was quite buzzy while Vintage High Gain / 10 watts really wasn't. Vintage High gain on 10 watts / Les Paul was really my sort of a crunch tone. I REALLY appreciated how it dubbed as both a crunch rhythm tone and a great lead tone at once. This amp definitely is versatile.

I think my biggest complaint was that I was playing through a Stiletto 4 x 12 with a Les Paul Studio / stock electronics and pickups. With my homemade 2 x 12 and my hotrodded Les Paul I would probably get a far more favourable result. If you want the plans for my 2 x 12 I have them =-)

I own a 6505 and still like it (it's a different beast), but it way more buzzier (side by side) than my Mini Recto (as for me, my Mini doesn't seem to have that buzzy tone you a refering too). But, I'm comparing it to another amp that it's way more buzzier! I may tone deaf... :shock:

----

Ya, I'd not get a 6505. The issue here is whether I sell my AMAZING 2 Channel Dual that does really one or two tones extremely well and downsize to a mini that will help me for all those annoying low volume situations such as church playing and bedroom jamming. For everything else, the Electra Dyne is my goto amp. It just doesn't do those metal tones and to have a small amp for that stuff would be brilliant.

Speaking of price, I know this topic comes back very often on most web forums out there. I don't know for you guys in the US but the Egnater 30w mini head (made in China) sells around 800$ here in Canada. I've played both (not side by side) before pulling the trigger on my Mini andbut the Mesa feels way more solid and is weight is balanced when you pull the handle compared to the Egnater.

The Egnater is a good sounding amp, nothing bad to say on it, but I'd rather buy a USA made product for a few $$$ more than the one made in China. And overall, I prefered the Mini modern channel to the "Marshall-like" on the Egnater.

The Mesa / Egnater comparison is fair. Comparing a Mesa to a Tiny Terror is not. The Boogie has infinitely more features and the build quality is top notch. I've tried Egnaters and while they sound great, there is this 'cheapness' to the sound quality that the Mesas don't have. I'd take the mesa!

I REALLY like the tone of the Tiny Terror but the one channel / no proper EQ stack is really a huge downer for me. The Mini is FAR MORE versatile and it contains MANY great usable tones.

----
And for those worried about it, the Mini Rectifier is LOUD enough to play with a full band. At my last rehearsal, I could compete with my loud drummer, second guitarist's Mark IV and bass player's Ampeg. I had no issues cutting through the mix and being heard. 8)

Good job Mesa!!!

Good to know. Thanks for your input. It is extremely valuable!

My experience with the Mini Recto is very similar to that of TimeSignature's!

I auditioned the Mini 3 weeks ago through several cabs including the new 112 mini recto slant cab, 112 open back Mesa cab, both of the mentioned cabs stacked, and a 212 horizontal recto cab. I was very impressed with the sounds achievable from the mini through all cabs, but especially liked the sounds through the 212 recto cab!

I too, am not a typical rectifier enthusiast, but after playing this amp.....I Had To Have It and purchased it on the spot along with the 212 rectifier cab! I do not regret my purchase whatsoever! :mrgreen:

I have been playing my Mini Recto a lot over the past 3 weeks, and am also able to easily achieve excellent tones in all 4 modes and quite a nice variety of excellent tones in all modes! I have also experimented using the effects loop and am very impressed with the minimal tone suck using my Nova System for delays, reverbs, etc. I only use my Nova System through the loop as there is absolutely No Way that I would substitute the awesome gain sounds offered by the Mini with that of any effects unit. Quite honestly, I typically don't use any effects at all with my amps, but wanted to "test" the effects loop of the Mini and it passes with flying colors!

I love the cleans that this amp offers in Ch1 clean mode! The clean mode can easily be set for sparkly clean sounds up to a nice clean breakup sound while playing through single coils, but also sounds very good using HB. For awesome clean with some breakup sounds I prefer clean mode at 10 watts with the gain set high while playing single coils. The "Pushed Mode" on Ch1 can also achieve very nice chimey cleans, but can also be set for a fantastic classic crunch sound that is crisp and clear!!

My favorite mode of Ch2 is "Vintage" and is capable of a wide variety of great sounds depending upon gain/tone/wattage settings. I am also very impressed with the aggressive high gain sounds offered in Ch2 "Modern" mode!

I am very impressed with this amp and am achieving a wide variety of excellent tones in all 4 modes! Great Job Mesa!! :mrgreen:

YellowJacket said:
I'm curious, which speakers did you like BEST with the Mini? I'd be tempted to try it with a G12H 30 or a couple of greenbacks.

That's a difficult one... The Mini sounded good with all the speakers I ran it through. :mrgreen:

At the moment, my fav would be a tie between the Mesa 4x12 (at the rehearsal space) and my Peavey Triple XXX 4x12 cabs.

I am sure the Mini Recto would sound great through a 412 cab as well, but I intentionally didn't try it through one because I am not willing to lug a 412 cab around.....but that is just me. I will say that the Mini sounds fantastic through my MB 212 Recto cab and I am very pleased.

BTW.....I am not hearing the "buzz" that others have mentioned in this thread, but I am loving the sounds of this amp in Ch2 with the gain in the 10 - 12 o'clock region. I find it to have tight, urgent crunch tones in this region, but also has plenty of sustain for lead playing as well.......especially in Vintage Mode at 25W.

My .02

I gave the Mini a thorough audition with a proper Les Paul today. Nice amp. Really nice! I tried it through a transatlantic cab which was rad and through an orange 1 x 12 which sounded really fizzy. I'd like to try it through a Mini 1 x 12 cab though!

It reminds me A LOT of my old 2 channel but with a better clean, better lead tones, and more variety with the high gain tones. I love the way 25 watts / modern mode is over the top metal but 10 watts / vintage is a nice laid back Electra Dyne Esque Vintage crunch. Nice cleans too with plenty of volume. The only thing I didn't care for so much was the 'pushed' mode. As with rectos in general, I find the low gain / blues tones leave something to be desired.

Playing the thing for like 2 hours, I experimented primarily with LOW volume bedroom type tones since that is what I would really benefit from right now. So the million dollar question is "Would I replace my 2 channel Blackface Rev F dual for one of these?"

I think so. The amp is pretty much the same quality for tone and it can get loud when absolutely necessary. Pretty much THE amp I have been waiting for during the last 6 or so years. I'm still not sure though. Super attached to the Dual but it is frustrating when I have to crank the thing to get the sort of tone I want. The Mini is SOMEWHAT loud with the master at 9:00 while the Dual is PUNISHINGLY loud at that volume. Like people have said here, this amp LIKES to be cranked but as far as I can tell, Mesa was REALLY considering the bedroom / home user when designing this and the low volume tones really shine!! This was what impressed me the most.

The amp has a really big tone for a small amp but it ultimately sounds smaller than the Dual Recto. It is like someone took recto tone and shrunk it with a shrink gun. I LOVE how low I can turn the amp down and it still brings that crunch. So, now I have to get some space from the idea and decide what I want to do. My wife is all for downsizing because my two 100watt heads are so loud!! I think the Electra Dyne will stay. I don't know how long it will take the Dual to sell if I choose to sell it and I really feel a bit awkward ' nervous selling something worth that much cash. The 2 channel Dual is also something that I'm sure will go up in value as it gets older. The only trouble I have with that head is that the volume is tiring, especially when I don't ever need that sort of horsepower. It causes me more frustration than anything since it is so impotent at low volumes.

Thoughts with the Mini: Has anyone tried it with a Celestion G12H 30? I think a 1 x 12 with one of those could be great for home jamming. For big stuff, I'd run a 2 x 12 for added power handling and projection. For BIGGER stuff, there is an Electra Dyne! I'm definitely not opposed to the idea of downsizing but I need to spend some time considering my options. Don't want to make a poor decision.

Cool YJ!

I just spent 2 hours of quality time tonight in the "Modern Mode at 25W".....and Loved It!! Once again, I really enjoyed my sounds with the gain set from 10 - 12 o'clock, but that is just me.....oh and of course, I had to reduce the channel volume level to 9 o'clock after switching from the "Vintage Mode" to not piss off my neighbors.....and I live in a house. :wink:

I am still in the Honeymoon stage with the Mini, but what I can say for certain is it is a definite keeper for me. I am loving the variety of tones that I am achieving in all modes/power options, but what surprised me the most is how much I love the clean sounds of Ch1. The clean sounds that I am achieving out of the Mini are more to my liking than what I was able to get out of my RoadKing that I owned years ago....

YellowJacket,

My recommendation to you is to buy the Mini and audition it at your house for a couple of weeks prior to selling anything! Where I live, I am able to audition the amp for 30 days and return for full refund if I am not satisfied. If you are offered this same option, it would allow you to play the Mini through your guitars/cabs to ensure it is something that you want prior to selling anything.

If you do end up loving the Mini, it might also allow you to make the best judgement of what if anything to sell. Just a thought?

Anyway, I am very impressed with the Mini so far (it is way better than I had ever expected) and I feel very fortunate to add it to my MB collection! :)

Best of luck in whatever you decide!!

Cheers

YJ: word of advice...

Buy the Mini... And don't sell anything. That's it. So you won't regret it in the long run. :mrgreen:

Being a student I can't afford to hold onto a Dual and get a Mini. The only way I can justify having gear is because I am a MUSIC student therefore I 'need' this equipment for school. (I used my Dual Rec to record something for my film course, for instance) For the Mini, I would sell the Dual first and ask for cash and then I could go plunk down cash for the mini at the local music store. I would try to look used but I buy EVERYTHING used and this amp is not prohibitively expensive, at least not in my mind.

I think it is mostly sentimental reasons why I have trouble coming to terms with selling the Dual. Volume wise, it irritates me. Basically, to get that 'thunderous' recto tone, I have to open it up to gig level which doesn't ever happen. The amp pisses me off because for my needs, it simply never sounds as good as it is capable of due to the volume overkill. The Mini DESTROYS a Dual for bedroom / low volume applications, and it does have enough gumption for rehearsals when necessary. It sounds so much less fizzy at bedroom tones and it really 'feels' cranked all the time which is awesome. Basically, I want TUBE amp tones at very low volumes. If I need loud, the Electra Dyne fits the bill perfectly. I personally think I would get much more satisfaction, enjoyment out of a mini at this point in my life. Being able to co-operate with an amp is a nice feeling!! I still am not quite sure what I'd do about a 1 x 12. My 2 x 12 would be fine for anything marginally loud i.e. involving drums, but for home use I'd be VERY tempted to try a 1 x 12 loaded with a Celestion G12H 30. The lower wattage handling gives a 'cranked' speaker tone at lower volumes which is nice. I also like the flavours of high gain tone. Vintage 10 watt really reminds me of the sort of tone I get from my mini while Modern 25 watts brings the metal in a serious way!

Still not sure what I want to do but I am definitely thinking about this. There is no hurry.

I have a few things to add after playing with this amp for a week or so.

The amp CAN get fizzy. I have to combat the fizziness with speaker selection and by playing with the gain, treble and presence controls.

I find the pushed mode super cool and capable of genuine blues tone.

I found it simply IMPOSSIBLE to play at bedroom volumes with ANY other recto than this one. Period. As much as I'd love a dual rec, its not practical for me but yeah, the dual recto cranked will blow away the mini rec. Makes sense. 100 watts vs 25 (or even 10) watts? 100 watts wins as far as bottom end and punchiness every time.

Dont hate me, but Im going to throw this out there. I a/b'd the mini recto against my EVHIII and I think that the EVHIII gets that metal tone at low volumes slightly better than the recto. I know the 50 watt mini EVHIII heads are almost available (after a looooong wait) so you may want to look into one of those. I think the price is the same.

Interesting.

I think a big limiting factor for guitar tone is the speakers, not the amp. 60watt speakers that put out 100db / watt / metre will make quite a loud sound even when putting out miliwatts for a signal. The best way to get a better bedroom tone would be a cab with a speaker designed to function optimally at a much lower efficiency. I find with the mini that you still need to get about one watt of signal to get a really good tone, same as bigger heads. This is a speaker problem, not an amp problem. Speakers simply sound buzzy and thin then they aren't being driven hard.

I agree once again with TimeSignature in that I have been able to dial in very nice sounds in the "Pushed Mode" of Ch1.

Cleans with a slight edge, to kind of a mild "bluesy mid gain sound" to rip your head off "clean crunch" sounds are the best way that I can describe the tones offered in the pushed mode of Ch1 that I am achieving.

Regarding potential "fizzy sounds".....I am sure they are possible in the high gain modes of Ch2, but they don't have to be. IMO, this really depends on how one sets the gain/tone knobs of the Mini. Clearly the guitar and cab choice matters as well. One of the nicest things with my Mini is that the tone knob settings really make a bigger difference in all modes compared to other rectos that I have owned and played.

Honestly, I prefer the sounds offered in both modes of Ch1 (Clean and Pushed) of the Mini compared to Ch1 & 2 of the RK (version 1) head that I used to own. YMMV.
Of course the Mini can't deliver with head room in any mode/channel compared to the RK or any other recto for that matter.....so if that is what you really need.....that is another story altogether!

YJ......I can't respond to your question regarding your mentioned speaker because I have never tried one.

Latest posts

Back