Tremoverb help (new tubes?)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cortexconcept

Reaction score
Hello all, I recently purchased this early attached power cord tremoverb serial in the low 3500's.

I've owned a rev g dual rec before, and pretty much every one of my favorite guitar tones is a recto.
the problem is, this tremoverb... doesn't sound very good? i'm well aware that rectos are loose amps but this particular amp feels very very loose and seems very very under gained. where a normal rec/tremo gain would be at like noon it would be the equivalent to dimed on this one.

i'm assuming it's tubes, it was sent to mesa a few years ago for the LDR fix proven by paperwork. I haven't seen any recent threads with currently available recommended tubes for this.

looking to get the most aggression and to tighten it up if possible as I play a 27" 7 string in drop F.

the current power tubes are JJ's 5881's, the preamp tubes are all different, some JJ some i don't recognize. it has no mesa tubes.

Attachments

• 68D70D7B-2EEC-40B1-BE9F-36E73AC3C60A.jpeg
    68D70D7B-2EEC-40B1-BE9F-36E73AC3C60A.jpeg
    299.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
and yes, i've tried it with 4 different flavors of over drive pedals and none seem to hit it right. it just seems insanely under powered. probably because of the 5881's instead of 6L6's? i'm running it at bold and silicone diode of course.

Welcome to the forum.

Being a ‘new’ used amp I would definitely start with a retube. Put in some fresh 6L6GC’s in the power section and a new PI tube for starters. In my Roadster I love the Sovtek 12AX7LPS for the PI (V6) slot. Power tube brand is up to you, I like the JJ 6L6GC as a reliable, good sounding, cost effective tube. Just make sure your supplier selects tubes to run correctly in your specific amp. For a middle of the road approach ask them to match to the ‘GRN’ Mesa color code.

Preamp tubes are really a matter of taste. For the ‘darker’ flavored Rectos like the T-Verb and Roadster a Tung Sol Re-issue 12AX7 in the input stage (V1) livens up the upper frequencies. For V2-V5 you can’t go wrong with the JJ ECC83 (12AX7), and they will not fail prematurely in cathode follower use, which is V3 & V4 in your amp.

Read here for info on tubes for cathode follower use in your amp.

https://boogieforum.com/threads/did-you-get-the-memo.25102/#post-186780
This is your tube task chart from the Tremoverb manual found here:

https://mesa-boogie.imgix.net/media/User Manuals/Tremoverb.pdf
IMG_0387.jpeg

Hope this helps,
Dom

I just rolled in some EL34's into my Tremo combo. Was a disaster. This amp seems to run way better on 6L6's. The EL34's pushed the amp into immediate feedback and had me running for the power switch! Unfortunately, today the quality of a lot of these tubes is very suspect. The 12ax7's are also best selected from a tube vendor who has some quality control.

Are you running the amp in BOLD or SPONGY? Changing out the preamp tubes is a good way to start, and there are DEFINITELY some preamp tubes you want to avoid in a Rectifier: Tung-Sol Reissue, Mullard Reissue, Electro Harmonix, Sovtek LPS, and any other Russian Tube with a spiral main filament. They do not hold up well in cathode follower positions, and they do NOT like the variac switch, as they don't heat up enough to emit properly when the variac is engaged.

Now, some say rectos are "loose" amps, but in reality the only Rectifier designed for downtuned playing with tight bass is the Badlander. The original Rectifier Solo Head was made for lead tones and lots of compression with bass that rises from the depths of hell. If you want super tight bass, you're gonna need to use an EQ or booster in front of it.

Back