Mini Recto?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bass guitar? Bass down and mids up as well. Low mids should be cut a bit though since they can get muddy really quickly. Best thing with bass is to project mids and to run the bass just on enough to make the sound full. The pitches are what is important live, and they all occur in the midrange. The low end really just collects and causes problems at high volumes.

YellowJacket said:
Bass guitar? Bass down and mids up as well. Low mids should be cut a bit though since they can get muddy really quickly. Best thing with bass is to project mids and to run the bass just on enough to make the sound full. The pitches are what is important live, and they all occur in the midrange. The low end really just collects and causes problems at high volumes.
well i actually raise the presence when going live... that's my little secret... ;) well should i get it? or save for a roadster or road king?

YellowJacket said:
My general rule for going from the bedroom to a live gig is this: Bass down, mids up, and gain down slightly or as much as necessary to remove mud.

+1

ironjose said:
well i actually raise the presence when going live... that's my little secret... ;) well should i get it? or save for a roadster or road king?

Ya, you can totally raise the highs live since they get buried under the cymbals. But if you're having trouble being heard in the mix, boosting the mids is the quickest way to remedy that.

Roadster or Mini... What do you need? Do you NEED 4 footswitcheable tones live? Do you NEED 100watts / 50watts live? Are the sounddorks simply going to tell you to TURN DOWN!? Listen, if lugging a heavy head around and having tonnes of power is not an issue, I'm sure you'll love the roadster. It has two fantastic clean channels. In fact, channels 1 and 2 are my favourite on that amp. Channels 3 and 4 are high gain but quite dark. I don't particularly like the 'raw' mode but vintage and modern high gain tear pretty good when you get some volume happening.

The Dual Recto Reborn also has the awesome clean tone from Channel 1 on the Roadster, but the channel 2 clean / light crunch is missing. With the Dual, channel 2 and 3 are the high gain channels and they sport an improved 'raw' mode. The vintage and modern settings are much brighter and less bassy than the roadster.

The Mini recto is a lot like the 2 channel REctos. The tone and feel is similar but you get that elastic EL-84 feel with a bit more midrange. While the large displacement heads are over the top heavy, chest pounding gain and pure rage / aggression; the mini is absolutely furious in its response, no matter what the volume. It is also small and easy to carry. Yes, it can do a lot for its small size but it simply cannot pull out three or four unique tones available all at once. In that sense, it is limiting.

Once again, here is my take: If you need 3 - 4 channels and you like your clean channel SQUEAKY CLEAN WITH NO SPARKLE, get a Roadster or Dual Recto reborn. This way you can run clean channels at 100watts for maximum headroom.

If you simply cannot live without the sound of a cranked tube amp on stage and you play clubs with pissy owners / soundmen, get the mini. The mini will give that 'cranked' tone without too much trouble. YOu can get a good volume for clean tone with some hair and then there is channel 2 for heavy rhythm / lead. The volume knob on your guitar can easily adjust the gain in these modes. The mini at 10 watts is half as loud as a 100 watt head (10db quieter) and when a Dual Recto halfstack can put out 120+db, c.a. 110 db (through a 4 x 12) isn't so bad on the part of the mini.

Volume is something, but you will have to think a lot more about tone / feel. Each recto is an individual 'take' on the rectifier sound. They are fundamentally the same in some way but each one has its own personality. Think of it like comparing Gibson Les Pauls. A custom with EMGs sounds different than a Studio with P-90s, a Standard with Burstbucker Pros or a Custom with Burstbucker Is and IIs. At the end of the day, they all sounds like Les Pauls but each one has its own personality.

In regards to volume, how loud is your band's stage / practice volume? If we are talking a vicious metal drummer who plays with tree trunks for sticks, then maybe you'd need the 100watt halfstack.

Ultimately, what you get is YOUR decision. I hope it all works out for you!!

thanx for the detailed answer...
and im really thankful for the advice because you know i dont want to regret buying a two grand amp and not using it... hahaha
but tha being said i know for a fact that buying a mesa would be a wise choice and i would not regret it!!!
anyways...
its a big investment so i need some guiding... i'm not expecting that you guys resolve my amp problems... hahaha but i really need your advice to guide my needs...

so i'll keep on searching for more info of both amps... mini and roadster... but i guess the best thing is to try them... but now there is my issue... there is no one here in my country that sell mesa... so i'll have to stick to the youtube videos and somewhat recordings of you guys can make... or post...

right now i need a tube amp for gigging, rehearsing, and recording... and since the first day i heard mesa was the holy grail of tone i knew that sound can make my tone search to an end...

again... thanks everyone and i'll be posting my decision soon... or at least my budget for the amp i want... hahaha

\m/

i guess i've made my decision... i going for the mini... i'm going to try it and keep it... anyways i'm going to save up for a road king... but that's the whole idea of the rig i'm trying to build up...

We were playing a show and FWIW, we didn't need to put the master up over 8:30 with an Electra Dyne set to 45 watts. I think the Mini on 25 watts should be plenty loud provided you EQ it right. Just remember to cut the bass and boost the mids!!

YellowJacket said:
We were playing a show and FWIW, we didn't need to put the master up over 8:30 with an Electra Dyne set to 45 watts. I think the Mini on 25 watts should be plenty loud provided you EQ it right. Just remember to cut the bass and boost the mids!!
thanks YJ i was thinking of that... but the first thing now is to actually get it!!! lol

Latest posts

Back