EL34's

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TREC

Reaction score
Hi there, just wondering if anyone could chime in with their thoughts about wheather or not EL34's in my 3 ch recto would help smooth out and tighten up the tone, i.e closer to a 2 channel recto.

Thanks for any advice.

Nope they won't do either of those things. A 2 Channel is a 2 Channel. You can get in the same zip code as one with a 3 Channel with some modification. I love a 2 Channel but really like a 3rd channel for versatility. Hope that helps.

Well I'm from Australia and 2 ch rectos are as rare as Hen's teeth, also here there are no places to get anything modded. I shouldn't of said "closer' to a 2 ch recto because i knew people would say just buy a 2 ch. I realise they are two different amps, just mean would they smooth out the tone a bit. Before I get flamed and people tell me to buy a 5150 I love the tone just trying to tame the fizz that seems to be an issue with the 3 ch rectos.

Thanks

TREC said:
Well I'm from Australia and 2 ch rectos are as rare as Hen's teeth, also here there are no places to get anything modded. I shouldn't of said "closer' to a 2 ch recto because i knew people would say just buy a 2 ch. I realise they are two different amps, just mean would they smooth out the tone a bit. Before I get flamed and people tell me to buy a 5150 I love the tone just trying to tame the fizz that seems to be an issue with the 3 ch rectos.

Thanks

EL34s will add more midrange while reducing the bottom and top end somewhat.

Another useful trick is to roll the tone knob down on your guitar so that you're feeding the amp less treble to begin with, or back off the volume knob down to 8 or 9 so that you're not hitting the first preamp stage as hard.

Rolling back the guitar volume for rhythm and cranking it for lead is probably the most useful thing I have learned. It really does cut back the harsh poking treble frequencies. Oh, there is a DYI mod you can do to channel three that won't void the warranty. Something about replacing a pot with another one. I'm pretty sure there is a whole stickied thread on it. It might help!

YellowJacket said:
Oh, there is a DYI mod you can do to channel three that won't void the warranty. Something about replacing a pot with another one. I'm pretty sure there is a whole stickied thread on it. It might help!

That would be my presence mod. Top of the Recto forum section!

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=36172

For EL34's I'd recommend a couple of different things to tighten the rythmns...Keep in mind this what I've found in a DSL50 and Peavey VTM 60 modded for EL34's so it may not translate due to the Rectifiers voicing...

Avoid Ruby BSTR and Tungsol EL34b - They are a near 6L^ and really choke out the mid range hump of the usual EL34.

IMO Slimmer bottle EL34's - Winged C and JJ EL34's (Not the L's) will help boost the midrange (think crunchy and smooth) and tame a little of the rectifiers low end while still retaining a nice shimmering top end that reacts well to presence and treble.

Couple of other things I only recommend if you are truly happy with the platform...Preamp tubes - Mix and match to find you favorite combination. What I like you may not. I've run so many through the years that I have a good understanding of what I like in each amp, for each position. Tung Sol, Penta, JJ, Sovtek, Mullard RI for the PI I usually use the most balanced tube I can find. Cab - If your using an oversized rectifier cabinet, go with a tradional or cab of similar dimension IE 29X29X14.5 ish. The reduced space really tightens up your bottom end. Speakers - stick to a mid heavy speaker (V30 and Peavey 1200 loaded in 5150 cabs) come to mind. Avoid GT12T 75 they are a very scooped speaker. OD's - 808's and Modded SD-1 gain =0, Tone 11-1, level maxed or to parity.

Latest posts

Back