Dual rec tone or darker roadster/roadking tone??? opinions?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rispsira

Reaction score
Hi all, i have said before im shopping for a dual rec but as all of you said the roadster sound darker than the standards (called mesa and they said that the roadking sounds the same as the roadster; darker)

I dont care about versatility much as i have the mark V that i love and has so many different sounds. Im just worried about which recto to buy as i cannot try any here (order from abroad)

Can you guys give me your opinions on that and perhaps if you have clips/vids of the two recorded with a mic?

SO far i am leaning on the standard because i think the mark V can be dark and im mostly looking to mix the two on recording so looking for something at the other end of the spectrum from the mark perspective. But those things sound good on paper for me.. i would rather listen to your (actual users) opinions which i would really appreciate..

Thanks a lot

When people say Roadsters/Road Kings are "darker", they usually are referring to less "fizz". You can make the Roadster sound like a normal Dual, but not vice versa. The Roadster still sounds NOTHING like the V. I would get the Roadster since the price difference between the Roadster and standard Dual is so minimal.

darker is the wrong word. less fizz yes if you talk about the roadster. I would take that or a 2 channel head over any amp in the world

It is a darker amp, I have played 4 of them, owned many two channels, currently own Dual Rec R0005 and a RK1. I have owned a roadster and gave it a good time to check it out.

The reason alot of people think it has less fizz then the standard dual rec is because it is so dark that it is hard to hear it.

I can tell you the RK1 is no wheres near the roadster in dark tone however not sure about the RK2 as I have not had time to play one.

b0nkersx said:
When people say Roadsters/Road Kings are "darker", they usually are referring to less "fizz". You can make the Roadster sound like a normal Dual, but not vice versa. The Roadster still sounds NOTHING like the V. I would get the Roadster since the price difference between the Roadster and standard Dual is so minimal.

wildrat666 said:
darker is the wrong word. less fizz yes if you talk about the roadster. I would take that or a 2 channel head over any amp in the world

wildrat666 said:

Oh so you are saying that the roadster sounds like the two channel recto?

Thanks!

siggy14 said:
It is a darker amp, I have played 4 of them, owned many two channels, currently own Dual Rec R0005 and a RK1. I have owned a roadster and gave it a good time to check it out.

The reason alot of people think it has less fizz then the standard dual rec is because it is so dark that it is hard to hear it.

I can tell you the RK1 is no wheres near the roadster in dark tone however not sure about the RK2 as I have not had time to play one.

b0nkersx said:

wildrat666 said:

So what i understand from YOUR reply is that the roadster is "hard to hear" because of how dark it is. Do you mean that it doesnt cut through as well as the standard?
I really appreciate your opinion! thanks

Theres a used RK 2.0 (not the 2.1)

Is there any difference between the 2.0 and 2.1 besides the tuner mute?

Wonder if i pay more and get the RK if i will benefit from the extra sounds so another question i had for the RK owners is what sounds have you found in the RK and really like besides the recto "sound"

So so far we all agree that the standard and roadster sound different. What i heard that not all of you agree about is that the RK sounded nothing like the roadster (at least version 1).
The other disagreement is that some people prefer the roadster sound because it is less fizzy, but others prefer the standard over the roadster that can be hardly heard.

Wrote all that down so that you correct me plz if i understood something wrong.

Waiting for more feedback! thanks guys!!

The Roadster does not have any problem being heard, nor does the Road King. What siggy meant was that it's hard to hear the "fizz" typically associated with rectos. It's there still if you pump the treble, gain, and presence really high (3 o'clock range on at least two those knobs).

I own an RKII, and I only have channel 3 set up as a typical recto sound. Channel 4 I set up pretty bright, tight, and midrangey; it cuts really well. Channel 2 I have set up as a shred lead, and channel 1 is my clean. They're all excellent. You could easily get MOST of my tones from a Roadster. I use all 6 power tubes on my RKII all the time, so it won't be exact, but really freaking close.

b0nkersx said:
The Roadster does not have any problem being heard, nor does the Road King. What siggy meant was that it's hard to hear the "fizz" typically associated with rectos. It's there still if you pump the treble, gain, and presence really high (3 o'clock range on at least two those knobs).

I own an RKII, and I only have channel 3 set up as a typical recto sound. Channel 4 I set up pretty bright, tight, and midrangey; it cuts really well. Channel 2 I have set up as a shred lead, and channel 1 is my clean. They're all excellent. You could easily get MOST of my tones from a Roadster. I use all 6 power tubes on my RKII all the time, so it won't be exact, but really freaking close.

Oh thanks for clarifying what siggy meant! so youre saying that IF i wanted that fizz i could get it with a bit of tweaking.

GOt me gasing a bit for the RKII lol. Any vid or clips? Can get a RK 2.0 hear that its only the tuner mute extra that the 2.1 has over that one which i dont really care about so it seems like a good deal..

What do you guys think the 2 channel dual rectifier rackmount stands in all of that?

rispsira said:
Oh thanks for clarifying what siggy meant! so youre saying that IF i wanted that fizz i could get it with a bit of tweaking.
Yup! All you have to do is pump the treble and gain up. I have no recording gear so I can't help too much with clips, but I'll try to make a camcorder video when I get back from Florida in a week and a half.

rispsira said:
What do you guys think the 2 channel dual rectifier rackmount stands in all of that?
Never heard one, so I can't comment.

i´m using a 3-channel dual recto and a roadster head setup up for real stereo setup....if i only could have one of the amps, i would go with the roadster! it´s less harsh / fizzy and has the better clean tone - and this amp rocks like hell!!!

you asked for samples/videos...i found a roadster + mark IV video, very nice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5W5_roi_gg

Latest posts

Back