Roadster help needed!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danut

Reaction score
Hi!

I live in Romania, there is no such thing as an authorized Boogie repair center here, so this forum is the first place to look for help.

I have a Mark V 90 head since 3 years now, it works perfect.

I just bought a used DR Roadster head but I have two problems with it:

1. The head has no footswitch; It uses the 8 pin cable, just like my Mark V 90, so the next logical question was if I could use the MK V 90 footswitch with the Roadster and retain some of its functionalities. Am I taking a chance to fry something if I connect them? Eventually, if this isn't an option, what other options do I have for a footswitch (I did a search and, apparently, there is no Roadster footswitch available, at this moment, anywhere on the planet!)

2. All 12 modes work just fine, except for the Brit which, when its switch is flipped on, brings some scratching noise all across the channel and no usable sound. Sometimes, the scratching noise disappears and it works somewhat just OK, except the gain pot no longer works normally after 12 o'clock (it doesn't add gain past that point).

Is it a tube issue? Some cold contact? The other two modes of this channel work just fine. If needed, I could record a video.

Thanks for some suggestions, they are greatly welcome!

Danut Chiorean-Peter
Romania

The Roadster will not work with the Mark V90 footswitch. They are not the same thing.
If you cannot order a replacement from Mesa Store, I am not sure where one could get such.

The Roadster does have 1/4 Jacks on the back panel. They are meant for channel changing, solo, and reverb. Mute is not an option though. The tuner out is an output intended to be sent to a tuner pedal. The logic is simple on the external control jacks, Open circuit they are off, tip to sleeve they enable that channel or feature. Not sure what would happen if all channels were enabled at the same time. So, using a midi relay interface will need to be set up to prevent combinations of channels, just one at a time. Keep in mind that not all relay interfaces use single relays, some of them are double throw types. As for what gear to recommend, I am not versed with that type of gear so sorry on that.

As for the issue with the Brit mode, I would assume you are getting similar issues with all of CH2 since they share the same controls. However, the Brit mode does control a relay that bypasses a few components, there is a tone stack cap bypass, and a presence circuit bypass as well as a large bypass cap on V2. If the Brit is the only issue and Clean and Fat are good, I would suspect that V2 may need to be replaced.

If you get any static or other similar sounds on the other channels, it could also be related to one or both Rectifier tubes reaching end of life. They may be bypass when using the silicon diode feature but they remain in the circuit so they can have an effect on unexpected noise.

If you consider MIDI control these MIDI switchers are error proof. They are powered by the amp and are Bluetooth so they can be customized as needed. I have this on each of my Roadsters. This item takes care of the proper channel changing sequence without any special programming.

Be sure to get it with the 8-pin cable to make installation hassle free.

https://emcustom.eu/amp-midi-switcher-interface.html
To control that amp switcher you will need a MIDI controller.

Any experience with MIDI?

If you keep it simple it’s not too big of an investment. I’m not sure what Mesa would charge for the footswitch (it shows out of stock) but I bet it would be around $300-$350 US. For that money you could go MIDI.

Dom

The Roadster will not work with the Mark V90 footswitch. They are not the same thing.
If you cannot order a replacement from Mesa Store, I am not sure where one could get such.

The Roadster does have 1/4 Jacks on the back panel. They are meant for channel changing, solo, and reverb. Mute is not an option though. The tuner out is an output intended to be sent to a tuner pedal. The logic is simple on the external control jacks, Open circuit they are off, tip to sleeve they enable that channel or feature. Not sure what would happen if all channels were enabled at the same time. So, using a midi relay interface will need to be set up to prevent combinations of channels, just one at a time. Keep in mind that not all relay interfaces use single relays, some of them are double throw types. As for what gear to recommend, I am not versed with that type of gear so sorry on that.

As for the issue with the Brit mode, I would assume you are getting similar issues with all of CH2 since they share the same controls. However, the Brit mode does control a relay that bypasses a few components, there is a tone stack cap bypass, and a presence circuit bypass as well as a large bypass cap on V2. If the Brit is the only issue and Clean and Fat are good, I would suspect that V2 may need to be replaced.

If you get any static or other similar sounds on the other channels, it could also be related to one or both Rectifier tubes reaching end of life. They may be bypass when using the silicon diode feature but they remain in the circuit so they can have an effect on unexpected noise.

Before writing this post, I actually wanted to PM you these questions, in a message that started with how impressed I was by your knowledge and expertise in Boogie amps! However, I couldn't post the PM for being too long and I had to opt for a new post, instead. Then, the first guy answering is you! Go figure...

Going midi is not an option for me, I will have, somehow, to get a normal footswitch. I found a Road-King IIB footswitch on Reverb, in Germany. That, too, isn't going to work with the Roadster?

Regarding the Brit mode issue, it is happening ONLY on the brit mode. All other two modes on the second channel (clean & fat) work perfectly. Moreover, I compared them with the ones on the first channel (as they are identical) and they work just the same. Only when I flip the switch to Brit, a hissy, crackling noise apears and it's related to the gain pot only. The gain pot works until noon, but past that, the volume lowers. I just ordered a Mesa Boogie 12AX7-A tube for the V2 replacement (of course, none was available in Europe, I had to buy it from across the pond, from a San Diego shop).

Thanks again for your support!

Any tips on Roadster tone settings? Are there any similarities between its Brit mode and the Crunch mode of the Mark V 90? I really love that!

Also, from the little time I played the Roadster, it appears to be more forgiving than the Mark V. Silkier, more liquid. Easier to play for the fingers, but easier to be buried in the mix, too. What would you think are some pros of the Roadster over the Mark V, tone wise?

I was curious about the Modern mode on the 4th channel vs Extreme mode on Mark V 90's third channel, but until now, Extreme wins. It's somewhat drier, it has more clarity all-across the 6 strings.

Regards,
Danut

If you consider MIDI control these MIDI switchers are error proof. They are powered by the amp and are Bluetooth so they can be customized as needed. I have this on each of my Roadsters. This item takes care of the proper channel changing sequence without any special programming.

If you keep it simple it’s not too big of an investment. I’m not sure what Mesa would charge for the footswitch (it shows out of stock) but I bet it would be around $300-$350 US. For that money you could go MIDI.

Dom
Thanks for your reply, but I have no MIDI plans for my Roadster. I am just looking for the cheapest footswitching option, since the Mesa footswitch is nowhere available separately.

I looked at the schematic for the RoadKingII, the RKII footswitch may work but it has a few extra features the Roadster does not. Not sure it will use the same cable either. Probably not an option. However, the Roadster does use the same preamp as that of the RoadKingII. The only difference in the schematic is the power output section, progressive linkage, and two fx loops. Obviously, it is not the same physical preamp board though. Just the circuit topography and design is the same.

As for where the gain control is located for CH2, it sits between V1A and V1B as it is part of the tone stack driver. Both CH1 and CH2 have the tone stack driven from the plate of V1A. CH3 and CH4 also have the gain controls in the same location but the tone stack is not positioned off of V1A. After V2B triode, the signal path for CH1 and CH2 will enter into V2A which then has the CH1 and CH2 master volume circuit and at that point it passes onto the FX loop circuit.

You could try borrowing V2 from the Mark V90 as that tube only uses one triode. See if using that tube in the Roadster V1 makes a difference. If no change, try it in V2. It is hard to say if the original owner moved tubes around in the amp. However, it could also be the gain pot for CH2 but that I doubt is the issue. The Brit mode does bring in a 100uF cathode bypass cap on V2A triode that may be enough to encourage the tube to saturate too much if that tube has been degraded or near end of life. It is possible the previous owner swapped V5 with V2 since the cathode follower circuit used in V5 is the A triode and V2A is used only with the CH1 and CH2 circuits.

Before going too deep into tubes, the Roadster can use any 12AX7 tube in the following positions: V1, V2, V4, and V6. The two critical tube positions are V3 and V5 of which have cathode follower circuits. Those two positions, either JJECC83S (same as the Mesa 12AX7 tube) or a Chinese 12AX7, or 7025 will work without premature failure issues. Some NOS 12AX7 like a JAN/GE 12AX7WA will also work well with the cathode follower circuits as I have been using those in my Roadster for some time.

There could be another thing to consider but since all of the other channels and modes are working fine, I would assume that CH1 Tweed does not have the gain problem as that is very similar to the Brit but does not use the 100uF cathode bypass cap. To check for the problem I am thinking of will require removal of the chassis from the head shell. It is safe to do this but just keep your fingers from touching the internals. I always pull the chassis out when I do a tube roll. That way I can keep the power tubes in place and not have to wait for them to cool down. Since the Roadster head has the tubes pointing upwards, the tube shields can result in aluminum dust falling down around the tube socket. this is usually caused by many tube swaps by rotating the shields to remove them. The chassis needs to be out of the head shell, shield and tube removed. Look down into the hole with a flashlight to insect for any silver flakes or dust around the tube socket. If it is present, you can use a Q-Tip (not sure what they are called in Europe) dampened with acetone to collect the aluminum dust. Do not use isopropyl alcohol as this is mostly water and will not evaporate completely. It may require a few more Q-tips to get the job done. If you have compressed air available that can also help but get the bulk of the dust cleaned up with the Q-tip first. I had this issue with the Royal Atlantic as I was tube rolling that amp a lot. I also have a tone issue with my Roadster so it is time to check for the dust. If the small back rubber rings on the tube shields are silver in color, yep, that could be the issue. When cleaning up the dust, I will also remove the rubber O-ring and clean them too. They are supposed to be black in color.

Note, if nothing works to cure the issue and the characteristic is still resulting in the scratchy static sounds, it is more than likely the preamp tube but if a new tube does not change that, the last resort is the gain pot. If the gain pot is bad, it may need to be replaced. I usually look for more obvious issues before attempting to change parts that require any soldering. Take into account there could be potential voltage stored in the power supply capacitors high enough to risk severe electric shock. Proper procedure must be done to safely discharge all capacitors in the amp. For now, let's focus more on easy things like tubes or dust.

As for the footswitch: Mesa from what I understand is so far backed up with orders, they are not taking any custom work. I want to get a creme/back just faceplate for the Mark VII since that option was going to take several months to get.

I would send an email to customer support regarding the footswitch, at least find out if this will be available sometime in the future. The website claims: temporarily out of stock. I would assume it is still available.

https://store.mesaboogie.com/products/footswitch-roadster.html
I hope the preamp tube can fix the issue. It you are waiting for the tube to arrive, instead of borrowing the V2 from the Mark V90, you could opt to exchange the tube in V4 of the roadster with V2 in the roadster as that is used on the reverb circuit. You can also try it in V1 to see if that makes a differences. When it comes to used tube amps, it becomes questionable if the preamp tubes have ever been changed or if they were, were they of good quality and new before the amp was sold? Same would apply for the power tubes and Rectifier tubes. You may need to consider some replacement tubes. At least they Roadster and Mark V both use the 5U4GB rectifier. 6L6GC tubes may be the same or different. That just depends on what you like. Roadster does not rely on power tube distortion as much as the Mark V90. As for preamp tubes, as I mentioned above, V3 and V5 are the critical tubes that you need to be concerned about with the Roadster. Any other 12AX7 tube in the other positions are fine, same would apply to the Mark V90, that amp can run any 12AX7 preamp tube as it does not have any cathode follower circuits to be aware of.

Dom
Hey, Dom,

The more I investigate this issue, the more I get to the conclusion that this midi option is the only way to go (given the total lack of used Mesa Boogie Roadster footswitches on the market); so, if I get things straight, all I need is four components: the midi footcontroller, the midi cable, the midi interface and the small 8 pin cable to connect the interface to the footswitch input on the Roadster, right?

Basically yes.

Have a read here, get familiar with the terms ‘Program Change messages & Control Change message and Value” and understand what they do.

https://guitar.com/guides/essential-guide/guitarist-guide-to-midi/
Post any questions you may have here or start a new thread, I’ve been running a MIDI rigs for decades, it’s a simple rig nowadays, but that’s where you start, simple.

Throw out those questions!

Dom

Basically yes.

Have a read here, get familiar with the terms ‘Program Change messages & Control Change message and Value” and understand what they do.

https://guitar.com/guides/essential-guide/guitarist-guide-to-midi/
Post any questions you may have here or start a new thread, I’ve been running a MIDI rigs for decades, it’s a simple rig nowadays, but that’s where you start, simple.

Throw out those questions!

Dom
Thanks, Dom,

Actually, what I want is a footcontroller with 8 patches, accessible simultaneously, at a single stomp (no Bank-Up/Bank-Down tapdancing stuff), just like the Roadster footswitch.
Then, of course, the midi cable to connect it to the midi interface (EM Custom or the likes) and, finally, the 8 pin cable to connect it to Roadster's footswitch input.

Regards,
Danut

That can be done, what is your budget?

Behringer makes a great MIDI controller at a decent price, the FCB1010.

https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0089
You get 10 presets per bank and two expressions pedals. It’s a great budget controller, it’s what I started with and still use in at home for practice. There is a PC editor to make setting your presets easier as it’s a bit cumbersome doing it directly at the controller but not impossible. It’s a bit limited in functionality out of the box, but there is third party firmware EPROM you can buy to gain some more flexibility, like stomp box mode. I did the upgrade to mine and never looked back.

https://www.voes.be/fcb1010/uno.htm
If you want something very easy and intuitive to program right at the pedal, as well as a nice display where you can display a name for your preset as well as feedback during programming you can’t beat the Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro at its price, which is what I currently use as my main controller.

https://voodoolab.com/product/ground-control-pro/
If you are just looking for a footswitch replacement you can’t go wrong with the FCB1010.

Regardless of what controller you use you will need to understand the basics of MIDI control, it’s not necessarily ‘plug and play’.

Dom

There is Mesa product called the Midi-Matrix. That one can be configured to use the footswitch cable and provide all of the modes and channels of the amp that are controlled by the footswitch. Like most accessory product from Mesa, they are not in production at the moment. Also you would need to use a midi controller with it to select what channels and features to enable. I looked at the manual and it does have specific dip switch configuration settings for the Roadster. This is probably just as hard to get as a replacement footswitch and cable. Sorry if this is of no help.

https://legacy.mesaboogie.com/tone-tools/switchers-routers/midi-matrix.html

The MIDI Matrix is a great piece of gear, but it’s extremely expensive at 3X the price of the EM Customs device that will do essentially the same thing; replacing the footswitch of 1 amp.

Regardless, going MIDI has many advantages over the factory footswitch, for example you can go from CH1 with the Reverb and FX Loop on to any other channel with the Reverb and FX Loop off with one press of a button instead of three. It also will allow growth with other MIDI capable items.

Dom

If you can get the Road King "King Kontroller 2-T", it will work for the Roadster... you will want to relabel some of the buttons. The Tuner Mute button does nothing and then Loop1 and Loop2 buttons should be relabeled Tuner/Mute and Loop.

That can be done, what is your budget?

Behringer makes a great MIDI controller at a decent price, the FCB1010.

https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0089
You get 10 presets per bank and two expressions pedals. It’s a great budget controller, it’s what I started with and still use in at home for practice. There is a PC editor to make setting your presets easier as it’s a bit cumbersome doing it directly at the controller but not impossible. It’s a bit limited in functionality out of the box, but there is third party firmware EPROM you can buy to gain some more flexibility, like stomp box mode. I did the upgrade to mine and never looked back.

https://www.voes.be/fcb1010/uno.htm
If you want something very easy and intuitive to program right at the pedal, as well as a nice display where you can display a name for your preset as well as feedback during programming you can’t beat the Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro at its price, which is what I currently use as my main controller.

https://voodoolab.com/product/ground-control-pro/
If you are just looking for a footswitch replacement you can’t go wrong with the FCB1010.

Regardless of what controller you use you will need to understand the basics of MIDI control, it’s not necessarily ‘plug and play’.

Dom
+1 for the FCB1010... it's not fancy but very capable as a midi footswitch. Gets the job done at a very affordable price, especially if you have multiple midi devices. Drawback is it's fairly oldschool as far as programming, a bit of a learning curve but once past that it's a solid deal.

Attachments

• fcb1010_gt100.jpg
    fcb1010_gt100.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 0
Back