1x12 vs. 2x12 recto cab for MR

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's really a mini when placed on top of the 2x12. :)

DSCN5870.jpg

DSCN5872.jpg

elvis said:
Thanks again for the info.

I mostly play low volume. Will the 2x12 recto cab sound good quiet, or do you have to be loud to get the awesome sound everyone attributes to it?
Hi new member here!:) just bought the mini cool amp! retubed right way with tungsols for the v1 and v4 and some penta/ mullard ressiue 12ax7 for v3 v4 v2 Ei sound really good, so the 212 made alot bigger difference then 2 112's? stack looks cool though. I was going to buy a used 212 black shadows in there but decided for the 112 to start.

239724389408_0_ALB.jpg

100_1278.jpg

Mercury 14G power cord help clean up the tone at high volumes, peavey 12G speaker cable:)

The mini rec I played was monsterous through a V30 loaded 2x12.

But it was even better through 2 V30 bogner 412s :twisted:

Good choice on the 2x12. The just sound "Bigger" than the 1x12s. Almost makes the decision easy IMHO.

If you are playing out a lot you should try them mic'ed up. I found that the punch you get from the bigger cabs don't translate when you have a cardioid mic placed directly in front of one of the speakers. The audience shouldn't hear your stage volume (if you're doing it right.) and even if you are cranked, the mini from stage is not going to be heard over the subs and full range PA mains. I'm just sayin', if you value portability and set up ease and stage space, the 1x12 is awesome. I tried mine vs. a 4x12 side by side mic'ed through the PA and there was no difference. If anything the 1x12 sounded tighter.

I'm debating this choice too. I mainly just play at home so I'm eyeing the mini slant 112.

I thought it sounded a bit thin/small in my store tryout but I hadn't really learned to dial in the amp at that point.

At home through my 4x12, now that I've learned to dial it a bit I'm getting tones that are huge and fat. Almost too huge and fat. Even at bedroom volumes. I'm thinking the 1x12 might be just the trick.

Yo Elvis one more time, did you have 2 112's mesa cabs then went for the 212 and the 212 was that much better?? maybe cause just having one cab works better hmm.

Those 1x12 aren't cheap either...buying two of them you're nearly to 4x12 price.

Wonder why the Transatlantic cabs are so much cheaper? They look great. I'd be tempted by one of those if they were closed-back.

Ken, yes that is correct. There's no question that the air volume in the cab makes a big difference.

Matt, I rarely play mic'd. So what I hear is what they get.

elvis said:
Ken, yes that is correct. There's no question that the air volume in the cab makes a big difference.

Matt, I rarely play mic'd. So what I hear is what they get.
thanks! makes me wonder now:( so im better off selling the 112 and getting the 212 instead of 2 112's they look better as a mini stack

Ken, if you like the tone, keep what you've got. I didn't, so I switched.

Pegagos: really cool. I wanted that cab, but it's almost as big as a 4x12!

Thanks Elvis. Yah, it's a pretty big cab but I'll take that with coasters any day over my old Mark III combo. The only time that the weight bothers me is getting in and out of my SUV. Other than that, I roll that bad boy everywhere. It's much easier.

elvis said:
Ken, if you like the tone, keep what you've got. I didn't, so I switched.

Pegagos: really cool. I wanted that cab, but it's almost as big as a 4x12!

Latest posts

Back