The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dual rec

Reaction score
I have heard people talk about avatar cabs and say good things, but I have never googled them or looked for them. I did tonight and I have to say them are the cheapest prices ever. What I really want to know is are they that good. You can mix and match speaker configurations and everything. Almost to good of a deal to really be good. I am looking for a 4x12 cab. I have the VHT cab now. I payed $425 for it used. that isn't much less than one of their 4x12s, and you can pick your speakers. Just to let you know I dont care about price, please tell me your honest opinion because I believe what you pay for is what you get. So my point is are they really that good. Thanks a bunch for any help :D

I order one for my Dual recto....I should have it tomorrow or tuesday, so I'll be sure to tell you then.

Baba uses one loaded with v30's with his dual recto, and his tone is apparently very very good. He is a very experienced guy. He got to A/B an avatar and mesa traditional, and he said the two were identical.

IMO, avatar cabs are a great buy. With them, you pay only for the product, not a penny for the name, as they basically have none.

I have an Avatar 2x12 open back. I did a sound comparison with a Mesa cab, which I wrote about on the forum. It held it's own and continues to do so. I still think dollar for dollar its a great deal, but as you mentioned, it's not about the money. It has great tone and is solidly built. I have no reference to compare it to your VHT, so can't comment on the differences or similarities.

The people at Avatar are great and very helpful. If you bought one and didn't like it for any reason, the worst you'll do is spend for the shipping to send it back. If I had to replace a cab, or needed to upgrade to 4x12. I would probably go back to Avatar. What you see is what you get, and it will sound good, too.

If you like the sound of your cab, but need to upgrade your speakers, you can order speakers directly from Avatar, as well.

I have a semi-open back with a vintage 30 and g12h30. While it doesnt really have enough headroom for cranking my stiletto deuce at 90 watts, it does a wonderful job. Sounds superb with my deluxe reverb, and has a pretty decent thump with my buddies rectoverb. Excellent price, and the cab is sturdy as hell. They also have the very best prices on celestions and eminence because they buy them at wholesale prices and sell them for not much more. I fully recomend them, and will buy again.

avatars will not hold a candle to your VHT cab.
Those are one of the best cabs on the market PERIOD
anybody who tells you otherwise just isnt familiar with them

while they might be an awsome cab...is it going to be THAT much better? when it comes down to, its the density of the wood used in the construction, the cabinet dimensions, and the speakers. when you can get a 4x12 loaded with greenbacks..or vintage 30's..or g12h30's, or any combo for the same price as a 2x12 used.... its not going to be THAT much better, as long as the dimensions work, and the cabinet is of a solid construction. or is it? im not familiare with the VHT, but common sense tells me otherwise..unless im missing something??? :?

For some reason no soul, I belive you will probably be right. A lot of these guys have never heard the VHT cab, but the people who have say it is awesome. So I still don't know. Maybe I could just save and keep my VHT and get a 4x12 as well. To me $450 + $49 for shipping isn't that much to me. By no means am I saying I have a lot of money as I am only 16, but I think spending on my music stuff is worth even if I have to empty my bank account.

I have heard a lot of positive things about Avator cabinets. But, the Mesa cabinets are voiced for their amps, so I would try to stick with them. Of course, It's really just up to you, to what sounds best to you.

TW

I've got three Avatar cabs and I'm very happy with all three. One is a G212H semi-open back loaded with a pair of Celestion Blues and the other two are G410 cabs loaded with Celestion G10 Vintage speakers. All three are well built great sounding cabs. I'd recommend them to anyone. Why overspend just to get a nameplate when you can spend far less and get a cab of equal sound and build quality?

The reason I put this post is because I have no access to try out an avatar cab. I just want everyones unbiased view to help me with my purchase. Thanks to all :)

I will use this analogy

there are plenty of people happy with Epiphones. And rightfuly so, they are (usually) a quality instrument for the money and a good economic alternative to a Gibson.

But ask a Gibson owner if he would want to trade for an Epi?

My advice is to do as much research as you can, but your ears will be the true test unfortunately, and if Avatar has a return policy, that will be the best way to know if you like it or not.

It's obvious that no soul likes the VHT, I haven't heard one, but I've put my Avatar up against several cabs including Mesa and the Avatar has won every time, or been comparable.

I'd be weary about saying any cab 'blows' another away, it all comes down to personal taste, and I'd be shocked if a VHT or any other cab sounds 100% better than a Mesa cab with a Mesa head, or an Avatar.

Maybe all the cats out there that use Mesa cabs need to wake up?

no soul...a more correct analogy would be comparing an epiphone custom shop elite to a gibson les paul. both use the same pickups, the same electronics, the same grade of wood, and both are hand built in the u.s. the only difference is the little logo at the top of the headstock. there are those that can live without out, and those that can't. those that can, never think twice. they got the same guitar for less money.

musicbox said:
no soul...a more correct analogy would be comparing an epiphone custom shop elite to a gibson les paul. both use the same pickups, the same electronics, the same grade of wood, and both are hand built in the u.s. the only difference is the little logo at the top of the headstock. there are those that can live without out, and those that can't. those that can, never think twice. they got the same guitar for less money.

you are talking to the wrong person about Les Pauls, ESPECIALY Japanese ones. Im a collector

Your analogy is bad, because either you dont know your guitars, and/or its not a good analogy PERIOD

1st, there is no such thing as an "epiphone custom shop elite"
You are refering the Epiphone Elitist line, formerly just known as Elite.
There is nothing custom shop about them, they are made in a factory by a company called Terrada. Some models were made by Fuji Gen Gakki, who makes most Ibanez guitars.

They DO NOT use the same electronics. American made, yes, but they are not the same.

The grade of wood is very debatable but it isnt the same. The sources are completely different. Also the elitists are multipiece bodies. Your average Gibson Lp std is a single piece body, unless we are talking about Norlin era models.

Also, Elitisits are poly finished, Gibsons are nitro.

So no, they arent the same.

With that said, I think it should be rather apparent that Im OBSESSED with detail when it comes to gear, cabs are NO different.

And I dont see why you want to try to push this argument considering you havent even tried a VHT?

pardon my ignorance with the epi's, it was my understanding they were made by the same folk who make the gibsons. why am i pushing this argument? because simple logic and acoustic principles tell me there is only so much to a cab and its sound. speaker cabinet design isnt all pixy dust and magic. unless the vht is ported, or uses some mysterious cab dimensions, theres no way its going to differ THAT dramatically from any other cab using the same wood and speakers. i've listend to MANY cabs, and the differences often described on this board are more often then not a little on the rediculous side.

edit: please, give me some explanation as to why the VHT cab would destroy an avatar, and i'd be happy to end this argument. is it made from hard rock maple and does it have the dimensions of a 4x12? is it ported? does it use some rare and beautiful speaker that no one else has considered using? there must be a reason other than,"its better than eveyrthing else because it has VHT on the front". im a logical and reasonable human being, but i dont go for all the hype surrounding guitar amplification.

it a nutshell they have a very very very very high attention to detail when building things.

They are a VERY small operation, smaller than Mesa (who is pretty **** small by comparison)

These days they only build to order, which gives them the attention to detail of a custom shop. Not only are they using high marine grade plywood, it is meticulously contructed in a way I cant say Ive seen many cabs done. Does it make a huge difference? No. But does it make a difference at all? Yes! (see Gibson Vs Epiphone)

Also, the speakers they use are not used by Avatar or Mesa.

Back