First Boogie Cab - Traditional Rectifier Straight 4x12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay Omega

Reaction score
I've been playing Boogies for over 20 years, but I finally bit the bullet and bought a Boogie cab. I had a slant Avatar 4x12 w/ V30s back in the day, I have a Marshall 1960B that is setup for wet / dry / wet with Boogie 16 ohm V30s in the bottom, but mostly I've built my own cabs over the years. I've tried many shapes, sizes, and speakers - the one I settled on for my everyday playing is a big ole 2x12 with Boogie 16 ohm V30s, packed with pillow stuffing.

I realize speakers take some time to break in, but the cab arrived yesterday and I was shocked at how drastically different it sounds compared to anything I've ever played thru. Almost all the high end was rolled off, the low end was huge and muddy, but the cab had an enormous mid-range and devastating low mid punch. It really hits you in the chest

I've tried cranking some different Mark variants and a dual recto, doing a lot of 8 string chugging to get the cones moving. There's a huge sonic difference depending on where you stand, these straight 4x12s really project and are quite directional. What sounds muddy when you're tweaking the amp sitting on the cab sounds clear across the room down at knee level.

There are things I love about it, things I'm still getting acquainted with, but mostly I'm wondering how much it will change when the speakers catch their groove.

Anyway - just thought I'd share some first impressions!

Back