Mark V 25w Mini Head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve Naples said:
I have no problem with EL84s anymore, I was skeptical, not anymore. It is all in the voicing of the circuit anyway, so the tubes are not going to matter so much if you voice it right.

Ah, somebody who "gets it!" :!:

kippiejr said:
My fear is it will sound like the triaxis and the 20/20 did even with the deep mod. Not very good when you want to move some air.... The EQ might help and the cab clone is cool. But El 84's... :roll: :roll: Mark amp..booo

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised...this thing is no slouch!

4406cuda said:
I wish they would of used different power tubes, like 6V6's.

6V6s are a phenomenal tube for clean, clipped and overdriven tones, but that type of power section response does not lend itself well to an amp that is trying to offer those sounds, AND higher gain sounds for rhythm & solos, AND, gig-able headroom. If this were a home practice amp or studio amp not trying to be gig loud enough, 6V6s might be nice for some things, but likely loose (and flubby) on the bottom for other things, particularly higher gain stuff. With an amp of Mark series heritage, and in an attempt to make this amp the MOST globally useable for most things, players and playing applications, 6V6s are not the ideal choice. Beautiful tube though - someday there will likely be a Mesa that delivers on the foundations of the great and deliciously clipp-able 6V6. Thanks for the comment and hope this helps!

igfraso said:
Yes, exactly what I was thinking!!

6V6s would have been the proper power amp tubes choice. That would have been perfectly in line with the Boogie tradition.

With the EL84s, it doesn't sound at all like a Boogie.

This couldn't be further from the truth! EL84's ARE the Boogie tradition...whereas 6V6's have shown up in ONE amp! Read my reply above...it may shed some light on things! Thanks!

jamme61 said:
4406cuda said:

agree 6v6 would have been great. el84's compress to much - maybe it was to save space - to bad

This is actually opposite of 6V6 vs EL84...6V6's compress too much and flub out under high-gain, which make them less than optimal in this circuit design. Thanks!

Authorized Boogie said:
4406cuda said:

6V6s are a phenomenal tube for clean, clipped and overdriven tones, but that type of power section response does not lend itself well to an amp that is trying to offer those sounds, AND higher gain sounds for rhythm & solos, AND, gig-able headroom. If this were a home practice amp or studio amp not trying to be gig loud enough, 6V6s might be nice for some things, but likely loose (and flubby) on the bottom for other things, particularly higher gain stuff. With an amp of Mark series heritage, and in an attempt to make this amp the MOST globally useable for most things, players and playing applications, 6V6s are not the ideal choice. Beautiful tube though - someday there will likely be a Mesa that delivers on the foundations of the great and deliciously clipp-able 6V6. Thanks for the comment and hope this helps!

Great info and tell the boys thanks for making my dream amp! :D

Please record some demo clips with the master volume higher. I noticed the master was way low on all the mini mark clips. It would be nice to hear it a bit louder :)

I prefer 6V6 tubes in amps like my Swart... low gain blues, rolling stones, classic classic rock.

ReIgnition said:
I prefer 6V6 tubes in amps like my Swart... low gain blues, rolling stones, classic classic rock.

Same here. I built clones of a late '50s Fender 5E3 tweed Deluxe and 5F1 tweed Champ and mid '60s Princeton Reverb. These amps are great for loose, saggy, ragged power tube distortion, not the precision that you'd expect from a Mark amp.

I turn to my Mesas for a completely different sound than those amps.

**** this is exciting. Lunch box amps have come a long way since the Tiny Terror and Krank Jr. Anyway, if this sounds anything CLOSE to the regular Mark V, at that price point the value of this thing is incredible and will be putting other lunchbox heads to shame especially in terms of versatility. I know I'll be selling my Orange Jim Root head to save up for this.

elvis said:
Hey Authorized Boogie! What's the recommended best cab/speaker to go with the V 25?

It really works well with just about anything! We've really enjoyed it with a Theile 1x12, Mini Recto 1x12, Vertical 2x12, and of course the Recto 4x12!! Thanks!!

Authorized Boogie said:
elvis said:
Hey Authorized Boogie! What's the recommended best cab/speaker to go with the V 25?

It really works well with just about anything! We've really enjoyed it with a Theile 1x12, Mini Recto 1x12, Vertical 2x12, and of course the Recto 4x12!! Thanks!!
I imagine a pair of Theiles in a mini-stack would be an amazing combination.
Will the Mark V:25's be availabe in a rackmount?

I'd like to try one with my Theile cab and an open back 1x12 cab together.

Authorized Boogie said:
elvis said:

Looks like all closed-back. Is that a recommendation in itself?

Yes, I get that it will be useable with pretty much anything, and personal tastes and all that. In particular, which was it really designed for? There must be a cab that it was voiced for. MC90? V30? Fillmore? Closed back? Open back? There must be a "that was what we really wanted it to sound like" cab.

In addition, which would be the best choice for a 1x12 cab (if the answer to the previous is NOT a 1x12)?

Authorized Boogie said:
elvis said:

I have my new Vert 2X12 just sitting waiting for the 5/25... Maybe they'll be a little earlier than mid October.

Latest posts

Back