Mark V 25w Mini Head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LesPaul70 said:
Tanax said:
So which is better for low volume playing (e.g. bedroom level); Mark V or Mark V:25?

Ironically, for that particular purpose, I believe the 'full' MkV would be better.

Because of the Output knob.

Is this a silly question? :? The full sized Mark V does not have headphone capabilities. The Cab clone and headphone makes this appealing to some degree. :roll:

So a Mark V paired with the Cab Clone will be better suited for bedroom level/apartment friendly volumes than the Mark V:25?
And this is due to the Output knob? So basically, crank the Master volume on the channel and then lower the Output volume from the amp?

Tanax said:
So a Mark V paired with the Cab Clone will be better suited for bedroom level/apartment friendly volumes than the Mark V:25?
And this is due to the Output knob? So basically, crank the Master volume on the channel and then lower the Output volume from the amp?

You wouldn't need the cab clone with the Mark V. The Cab Clone is a straight load box, and not an attenuator, so using it would mute the speaker(s) entirely. I ran my Mark V in my apartment with a Recto 2x12, and it does apartment-friendly volume just fine.

Well, yes. It depends on what is your ideal 'low-volume bedroom playing' setup.

Do you want to play through headphones? Or through an actual cab, at a low volume, and still sound decent?
For the former, the V 25 works better. For the latter, the full V.

SteveO said:
Tanax said:

You wouldn't need the cab clone with the Mark V. The Cab Clone is a straight load box, and not an attenuator, so using it would mute the speaker(s) entirely. I ran my Mark V in my apartment with a Recto 2x12, and it does apartment-friendly volume just fine.

What I meant with the Cab Clone was to enable easier recording without the need for a mic seeing as I don't have a mic, just going straight out of the D.I. into a soundcard, into the computer DAW :)

However, now that Cab Clone has come up, wouldn't it be possible to go from Mark V -> Cab Clone D.I. -> Soundcard -> Monitors and Computer. Crank the Mark V but lower the volume on the soundcard so that the output in the monitors isn't as loud, achieving the same effect as an attenuator in the end? Or have I completely misunderstood the Cab Clone?

Tanax said:
SteveO said:
Tanax said:

What I meant with the Cab Clone was to enable easier recording without the need for a mic seeing as I don't have a mic, just going straight out of the D.I. into a soundcard, into the computer DAW :)

However, now that Cab Clone has come up, wouldn't it be possible to go from Mark V -> Cab Clone D.I. -> Soundcard -> Monitors and Computer. Crank the Mark V but lower the volume on the soundcard so that the output in the monitors isn't as loud, achieving the same effect as an attenuator in the end? Or have I completely misunderstood the Cab Clone?

An attenuator allows you to pump up the power tubes to clip while keeping the output volume low. I suspect the Cab Clone takes the signal before the power tubes. If so, you won't get the power tube clipping, but you'll still have access to preamp tube clipping.

LesPaul70 said:

Do you want to play through headphones? Or through an actual cab, at a low volume, and still sound decent?

Most of the time I will want to play through an actual cab but at low volume.
Only rarely I will want to play through headphones. I will want easy recording to computer though without mic so Cab Clone will be needed if Mark V since it doesn't have it built-in.

dodger916 said:
Tanax said:
SteveO said:

An attenuator allows you to pump up the power tubes to clip while keeping the output volume low. I suspect the Cab Clone takes the signal before the power tubes. If so, you won't get the power tube clipping, but you'll still have access to preamp tube clipping.

I was under the impression that the Cab Clone essentially replaces the cab, meaning it is after the entire amp in the signal chain, so it takes the signal after the power tubes. Is this incorrect?

Tanax said:
dodger916 said:

I was under the impression that the Cab Clone essentially replaces the cab, meaning it is after the entire amp in the signal chain, so it takes the signal after the power tubes. Is this incorrect?

I think you are correct. I found this later in the manual:

"The CABCLONE circuitry is able to produce this great representation of the amplifier’s sound because it starts with a signal taken right off the SPEAKER OUTPUT. This means you have the entire amp—including the output tubes—imparting all the Tone, nuance, natural tube compression and bouncy feel you are used to hearing through your cabinet."

So it appears we will get power tube clipping through the Cab Clone and Headphone D.I.. Pretty cool, and I (happily) stand corrected!

I guess it all depends how good it sounds at low volume levels. I too would prefer playing though a speaker vrs headphones. However good quality headphones would make a difference if you need to go silent to avoid disturbance of others. Considering the big brother Mark V head, having only a 412 cab would sort of defeat the bedroom level playing. A combo would make more sense (or at least a 1x12). The MC90 does a decent job at low volume. Wonder if they will offer a combo version of the Mark V 25, perhaps with speaker options (MC90, Filmore75, or V30). I would definitely consider getting one in combo form (even though the head and mini rectifier cab is attractive).

This has an unfortunately limited feature set. Small size and light weight are great, but if the idea is to reduce the working musician's gear-hauling burden it needs 3 channels and a solo boost, all accessible from the footswitch. Yes, you can get those with pedals, but then you're hauling pedals, their power supply, their cables, maybe a pedalboard, etc. When I bought a TA-15, I quickly realized I needed a third channel and reverb, so ended up building and carrying a pedalboard. Realized that wasn't making things much easier than just bringing my Mark IV, and sold the TA-15. I'm probably going to sell the Mark IV next, it's just too heavy for those without roadies and who aren't in their 20s any more.

GmanJeff said:
This has an unfortunately limited feature set. Small size and light weight are great, but if the idea is to reduce the working musician's gear-hauling burden it needs 3 channels and a solo boost, all accessible from the footswitch. Yes, you can get those with pedals, but then you're hauling pedals, their power supply, their cables, maybe a pedalboard, etc. When I bought a TA-15, I quickly realized I needed a third channel and reverb, so ended up building and carrying a pedalboard. Realized that wasn't making things much easier than just bringing my Mark IV, and sold the TA-15. I'm probably going to sell the Mark IV next, it's just too heavy for those without roadies and who aren't in their 20s and more.

"unfortunately limited feature set"?? A 16 pound Mesa having 2 channels each with independent tone stacks, 6 modes covering virtually all styles of music, on-board footswitchable graphic eq, Cab Clone & headphone outs with speaker defeat is limited? Want a solo boost? Use the graphic eq. like many Mark players do. At the $1,300 price point I think it's a pretty good package. It may not be perfect for everyone, but what amp is? It's usually a question of compromises.

Tone, versatility and durability will drive my decision to buy one. It must out-perform (replace) my DC-3 or I don't buy it.

dodger916 said:
Tone, versatility and durability will drive my decision to buy one. It must out-perform (replace) my DC-3 or I don't buy it.

Same here!

Don said:
dodger916 said:

Same here!

I kinda figured; we've been in the each other's DC footsteps for a while now! I'm trying not to prejudice myself, but I'm wondering if 2xEL84's will suit me. I tend to prefer the boldness of 4 EL84s, so hopefully 25 watts will suffice. The tight Mark preamp(s) might give me what I want, meaning tight articulate rhythms and the smooth lead drive we've been seeking from our DCs. Only a couple of weeks until a "local" dealer gets them in (closest dealer is ~ 2 hours away!).

dodger916 said:
GmanJeff said:
This has an unfortunately limited feature set. Small size and light weight are great, but if the idea is to reduce the working musician's gear-hauling burden it needs 3 channels and a solo boost, all accessible from the footswitch. Yes, you can get those with pedals, but then you're hauling pedals, their power supply, their cables, maybe a pedalboard, etc. When I bought a TA-15, I quickly realized I needed a third channel and reverb, so ended up building and carrying a pedalboard. Realized that wasn't making things much easier than just bringing my Mark IV, and sold the TA-15. I'm probably going to sell the Mark IV next, it's just too heavy for those without roadies and who aren't in their 20s and more.

"unfortunately limited feature set"?? A 16 pound Mesa having 2 channels each with independent tone stacks, 6 modes covering virtually all styles of music, on-board footswitchable graphic eq, Cab Clone & headphone outs with speaker defeat is limited? Want a solo boost? Use the graphic eq. like many Mark players do. At the $1,300 price point I think it's a pretty good package. It may not be perfect for everyone, but what amp is? It's usually a question of compromises.

Tone and durability are a given with Mesa, but versatility doesn't equate to practical usability. Having multiple modes is fine but if you can't footswitch between them, you have to make adjustments at the amp on stage to take advantage of them all. My TA-15 had multiple modes, but it was impractical to switch between them during songs or even between songs, especially on a dark stage without the amp at eye level. I found that as a practical matter I was limited to two modes out of five. That's better than two out of two, but not as versatile as it could be if the mode options could be selected on the fly or could be assigned to a third channel. For recording, the multiple modes, headphone out, and cab clone are undoubtedly of value, but for stage use I'd have preferred a way to access the three basic sounds needed by anyone playing a variety of rock and pop musical styles in a single gig - clean, crunch, and lead - on the fly. As is, this is like the TA-15 in that you can have any two, but not all three without resorting to an outboard pedal or to a much bigger, heavier amp than is needed under most circumstances. A two-channel amp by itself just isn't sufficiently versatile if you need to be able to move seamlessly between clean, crunch, and lead tones during a set.

Really excited to be getting one of these! I had the ROV 25 in the rack mount version and while I did really like the amp, I found it got really woolly at louder volumes. I had my order in for the Mark V 25 as soon as it was announced.

This unit with the Mark V EQ and of course a different sound set will really work well for me. I am most likely going to get the Recto 1x12 slant cab with it as well.

What a great little setup that is so easy to move around. I was totally not expecting the bonus of having the cab clone in there!

So glad Mesa finally did this!

:D

GmanJeff said:
Tone and durability are a given with Mesa, but versatility doesn't equate to practical usability. Having multiple modes is fine but if you can't footswitch between them, you have to make adjustments at the amp on stage to take advantage of them all. My TA-15 had multiple modes, but it was impractical to switch between them during songs or even between songs, especially on a dark stage without the amp at eye level. I found that as a practical matter I was limited to two modes out of five. That's better than two out of two, but not as versatile as it could be if the mode options could be selected on the fly or could be assigned to a third channel. For recording, the multiple modes, headphone out, and cab clone are undoubtedly of value, but for stage use I'd have preferred a way to access the three basic sounds needed by anyone playing a variety of rock and pop musical styles in a single gig - clean, crunch, and lead - on the fly. As is, this is like the TA-15 in that you can have any two, but not all three without resorting to an outboard pedal or to a much bigger, heavier amp than is needed under most circumstances. A two-channel amp by itself just isn't sufficiently versatile if you need to be able to move seamlessly between clean, crunch, and lead tones during a set.

When I said "tone" I meant tone that suited me. On paper the T/A 30 was what I was looking for, but there was something about it that rubbed me the wrong way and I wound up preferring the more vintage feel of the DC-3. As far as reliability, this is a new offering, so its reliability is yet to be proven, although the odds are good. :p

I totally understand your points, but it's helpful to remember that this is a scaled down version of the Mark V, not just an EL84 version. It seems to me that its main selling points versus a full Mark V include selected Mark V preamp and eq highlights with several useful output options in a very portable format for considerably less $$. Being that most players use some sort of effects anyway, not having a third footswitched channel probably won't be an issue for most. There will be compromises with virtually every mass-produced product built for profit.

At first blush it sounds like Mesa may have designed a winner for many players. For me it combines the feel and tone of EL84s (to which my ears and playing needs have been migrating) with my favorite Mark preamp voicings and graphic eq. I remain cautiously optimistic because aside from the Lonestars, I haven't fallen in love with any post-1990's Mesa amps. They're great amps and many players create wonderful music with them, but there's something about the older amps that speaks to me more so than the modern ones. I hope the V:25 will change that for me. If not, I'll keep wearing out tubes in my hot-biased DC-3!

Sounds like this amp won't work for you.

dodger916 said:
I'm trying not to prejudice myself, but I'm wondering if 2xEL84's will suit me. I tend to prefer the boldness of 4 EL84s, so hopefully 25 watts will suffice. The tight Mark preamp(s) might give me what I want, meaning tight articulate rhythms and the smooth lead drive we've been seeking from our DCs. Only a couple of weeks until a "local" dealer gets them in (closest dealer is ~ 2 hours away!).

Well... given my experience with having a DC3 and Studio .22, the Studio can be kinda lacking with the band. It sounds okay but it's being pushed and has considerably less punch than the DC3. It does lead me to believe if 2 x EL84s are enough. I rehearse with the same band with tweed Deluxe and Princeton Reverb clones (both 2 x 6V6GT) and they are both rated at considerably less power than the Studio and get the job done with less fuss (though I don't expect any headroom from either of those amps).

My full size V sounds better at low volumes (overdrive stuff) than my mini rec. Both sound great a low volumes clean. Both record great direct. I use a hotplate with both amps. I haven't tried a cab clone, but I like the flexibility of using different speaker impulses rather than just the few options on the CC.

Tanax said:
LesPaul70 said:

Most of the time I will want to play through an actual cab but at low volume.
Only rarely I will want to play through headphones. I will want easy recording to computer though without mic so Cab Clone will be needed if Mark V since it doesn't have it built-in.

dodger916 said:
Sounds like this amp won't work for you.
This about sums it up for a lot of the people complaining about this amp.

"This amp doesn't have a food processor, 8 different midi switchable modes, 3 fx loops, options for 13 tube types, and a unicorn built into it. I can't possible perform my crappy pop rock gig without these options!" :cry:

Some people will never be satisfied.

Latest posts

Back