Mark IVb Combo, replacing C90 with Fane AXA S12L

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit2013

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I have been considering getting a different cone for the Mark IV Combo.
The C90 sounds good for most low level playing, it is awesome with a dry tone for the clean channel. However, it just sounds awful with RHY2 or Lead when the volume gets elevated. On the other hand, the Mark IV sounds perfect through the 412 cab that I use with the Mark V. I have been considering getting another 412, but empty. I will select the drivers that meet my style. I did try one of the V30's I pulled from the cabinet in favor of EVM12L. Yes I did have an EVM12L in the Mark IV for a short while. The basket and large magnet made for a poor fit in the Combo due to mounting position. Not sure that would have made a difference but it sounded really good. I read (in this forum or a different forum) someone's liking to Fane relating to Hiwatt cabinets. Checked them out. The AXA Studio 12L is comparable to EVM in design but with an angled basket (more like the C90 but not leakage prone steel). Magnet shape is similar to the V30 (thicker and not as large in diameter as the EV). My hopes is that it will fit without touching the power tubes like the case with the EVM. Since the mounting ring is different on the Fane frame than the EV, I may be able to mount the speaker from the front of the cabinet without having to modify the grill (I just ordered it today). Cost for the Fane is about the same for EVM12L.

I had considered Eminence (Commonwealth in the patriot series) but decided to go in a different direction.

From what I've heard, Beyma also makes a good speaker for guitar amps. I have some Boogafunk thiele speaker cabinets with EV's but from what I've read the Beyma's sound great and Boogafunk is using Beyma's over the EV.

That is interesting news. I will have to check them out.
Still waiting for the Fane to arrive since it was ordered yesterday.

If it sounds great, I may consider a Dynamo GT412 cab with Fanes. They also have a version with EVM12L black label. Considering the list price, looks to be a good deal since retail for 4 EV12L will run $1116.00. Cab sells for $1500. Less expensive than buying a Mesa cab just to rebuild it with EV would cost $2115.00

I did not mind replacing the V30's in my cab when I did it since I had it for 13 years.

The Axiom "Studio" speaker came today. I did take pictures and will post them as soon as I get them on the PC.

First impression, very well made. I think materials and workmanship is a bit better than the Electro Voice. Warning, this is not a direct drop in replacement. In order to get the speaker to fit properly, I had to relocate the mounting screws. The 4 existing screws required the speaker to be indexed and the flanges interfered with placement. The mounting area of the frame is larger than the EVM12L and the Celestion C90. Also had to move the fan down a bit and angle it so it will spin freely.

I was able to get 12-24 bolts and nuts from work 1.5" in length. I decided to use the 4 mounting holes on the flange vrs the holes on the inner ring (8). Got it in, a bit of work but it was worth it. Had to disassemble entire amp in order to get the job done. Clearance, yep, I can easily replace preamp tubes without banging the tube into the speaker frame. Power tubes do have clearance (approximagely 1/4", where as the EVM12L there was no clearance.

How does it sound. well up close to the amp was difficult to say. Since the combo is not sealed, I was getting some cancellation in the lower register and midrange. At full power in lead mode (gain at 7, drive at 6, channel volume at 6, presence at 4 and the master volume at 6) I could not get the speaker to break up. Actually I could not tell how loud it was, this speaker projects but not like a V30. Since I was very close to the amp and a bit off to one side I must have been in the dead zone. My ears hurt like hell but it did not seem that loud. I moved as far away from the amp but at a much lower master volume (3) Supersonic loud, tight and would probably sound better in a sealed cabinet, but id sounded very close to the Mark V in MKIV mode through the 4x12 cab with EVM's. (I did a side by side comparison). Considering how loud is sounded with master volume at 3, my neighbors must really think I am a nut. The entire room was vibrating but being so close to the amp at first it seemed lacking. Ooops!

The next step, Get the Fane Medusa 150C for the combo, get a mesa widebody extension cab for the Axiom Studio and I am done. The Medusa 150C is more suited for combo's where as the Studio best suited in sealed enclosure. At least I have all the work done for the 150C, just have to repeat it with the extension cab (will not have to relocate anything except for mounting screws). This may sound better than the 412 cabinet when I am all done. It did sound close to the EVM12L when I had one in the Combo, but that was a bit deeper in tone and the projection of sound was a bit wider. I believe the C90 would have given up at the settings I had the Mark IV set to in order to get the amp louder. The higher the volume beyond 5 did not increase much, bit I could tell the tone was becoming more compressed. My head feels like it was compressed too.

I had the speaker in place for few days. Although it did begin to mellow out on the highs and fill in (mids) it was not the best option for the open cavity of the Mark IV Combo. I tried it out in the 412 cab in parallel with one of the EV's, Sounded a bit better than the two EV's on the other circuit. With all 4 speakers active, the fane seemed to compete with the one in parallel. I am willing to give it another try, it did sound good in the Combo but need to be in a ported or sealed cab with either similar or by itself. Before I put it back in the shipping box, I did plug into the Mark IV with the C90 back where it belongs. That combination actually sounded good. Would be much better if the Fane was in an enclosure.

Found a cab builder that has a ported 1x12 enclosure that may be a good fit. Cab is 15x15x23 so it will fit under the Mark IV Combo or Mark V (head). Not ready to give it up just yet. The more I use it the better it sounds.

Photo bucket link provided. There are other pictures in there with the Fane Studio next to V30 and EVM12L.

http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/bandit2013/media/P8280182_zpsb060797f.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

I was not ready to give up on the Fane Studio mounted in the Mark IV as of yet. This morning I pulled the C90 again and reinstalled the Fane Studio. I also took the opportunity to retube the preamp. Sweet! This thing is getting better every time I play through it. Not sure how long it takes to break in a new speaker but the single Fane Axiom Studio 12L is getting closer to my 412 cab stuffed with EVM12L Black Label. One more point, Rh2 seemed useless with the C90 (always sounded muddy or honky). Now it sounds great! if that is not the case with your amp then perhaps I have a crappy C90. I will definitely get another Fane Speaker - Medusa 150C (smaller magnet = more room for tubes), but for now I am enjoying the Studio. Ported extension enclosure will soon follow to bring out more bass. Preamp tubes sit close but it is possible to retube without removing the amp from the combo. When I had the EVM12L in the amp, this was not possible while using the existing mounting bolts (could not index the speaker to provide clearance for preamp tube and frame).

For those interested, if at all, the Fane Studio Axiom 12L would be better suited in a ported cab or 2x12 or 4x12 than a combo. The depth of the assembly is much taller than an EVM12L and will not directly mount with existing bolts. Yes it does have 8 mounting holes but the ears do not permit use of the locations of the 4 bolts. However, this speaker is a keeper for sure. I will get the Fane Medusa 150C (same frame as the Studio) since I already have everything set for this. The Medusa series also has pressed steel frame similar to the Celestion speakers so no rework would be needed.

Today I spent a few hours switching between the Mark V with 412 (EVM12L x4) and the Mark IV Combo (Fane Axa Studio 12L, not sure if it is called Axiom or AXA, I see both as reference).

Mark V:
SED 6L6GC
V1: Tung Sol
V2-V6: EH
V7: Tung Sol
driving 4 EVM12L Black Label speakers

Mark IV:
Svetlana 6L6GC
V1-V5: Tung Sol
driving 1 Fane AXA Studio 12L

Now I can clearly say yes to that one question: does the Mark IV sound like the Mark V? With both set to pentode and with Mark V in MKIV mode and the Mark IV in lead, absolutely! There are differences between the two but if you consider the LEAD and MKIV mode of the Mark V, dang close, even with different power tubes.

Comments on the Fane Speaker, it is built very well. It surpassed my expectations. At first I was not sure if it sounded good at all. There was plenty of high frequency response but not much with the bass. The only con about the speaker other than the obvious ( not a direct drop in without some easy fixes, almost too big to shoe horn into the combo) is the break in period. It took a few hours of use to get the sound I was hoping for and it did not disappoint! I had to give it a chance considering speakers are not returnable. This speaker rocks! I almost think it is better than the EV. Would I ever put the C90 back in? Sure, when I sell the Mark IV I will put the original speaker back in. The C90 is a good speaker (at low level playing, but not so great at low band level, RH2 would flub. ) The Fane on the other hand is simply amazing with RH2 and LEAD, not quite as dry as the C90 for clean but still sounds great (much better than the EV when I had it in the Mark IV).

I have satisfied my desire for another amp since I gave new life to the Mark IV there is no need to share the 412 cab with the Mark V. I am still going to get the Fane Medusa 150C for the Combo and mount the Studio in a ported cab. Only for 2 reasons, first to have more access to the tubes, and secondly I can use the Mark V with it too. This is becoming my favorite speaker and ranks up there with the EVM12L BL. I hope the Medusa is as good as the Studio. I heard about this company on the Carvin forums in reference to the old Hiwatt cabs.

One last thing, I also spent some time running both V and IV at the same time using a stereo effects pedal. Now that was guitar bliss at its best. It is hard to believe I was getting the same amount of punch from a single speaker comparable to a 412.

Put the BOOGIE back in your boogie!... Celestion speakers have no BOOGIE but EVM and Fane do... Sure, just about every guitar cabinet or combo has some form of Celestion speaker in it. Yeah there are a few out there that use Emenince or Weber for their speaker offering. I am sure that many of you reading this would disagree with what my opinions are. I can accept that. Celestion speakers are good, they sound okay if you are willing to settle for the cost savings gained by using Celestion products. For a decade I settled for second best, V30's in the 412 cab and MC90 in the Mark IV. However, the full potential of the Mark IV including Mark V and others just is not obtainable with V30's or the private label Celestion speakers. My comparison began long ago 2004 when I bought the Mark IV. I already had the Mark III with EVM12 black shadow and an extension cab with EVM12L classic. The EVM12 black shadow speaker is comparable to the EVM12L Black Label (ZW). I had considered swapping the MC90 in the Mark IV with the EVM12BS but there was no need since I had the extension cab to use. The MC90 did have a very nice low volume character to it, clean channel was very dry and sounded very close to an acoustic guitar but amplified. That is probably the only reason why I never got around to making any changes. Since the Mark IV was lacking in the volume department, I bought a Recto 412 with V30's for that added volume. That was a disappointment too. I could not run the Mark IV at the same level as the Mark III with out dialing out my tone and ending up with an ice pick. Needless to say I did not use the 412 cab much thus it sat for 13 years collecting dust. I was at the point in life why even bother since I did not play very much at all. I did eventually sell the Mark III, perhaps I regret letting it go. (continued)

Put the BOOGIE back in your boogie (part 2).

While I was playing the Mark III before I let it go, my wife said that I should pick up playing again. Shortly after that she wound up in the hospital (she had been fighting a liver issue for 3 years). While she was in the hospital she made me promise that I would continue to play the guitar. I had no clue she would not be returning home. She died two weeks after that. The guitar became my best friend after that, it was and still is my escape from my loss.

Back to the topic. I did attempt to put some BOOGIE back into the Mark IV with an EVM12L black label speaker. Sounded great but was unable to mount the speaker on the front of the baffle, had to rear mount it like the MC90 since I did not want to delete the grill or modify it. Besides that, the cut out would not permit front mounting. It is possible to stuff that monster in the same space, however, the oversized magnet was resting against the power tube, no room for removal of two preamp tubes. Very cramped indeed. I resolved what was missing by getting the Mark V. Why not make use of the 412? After that I rediscovered what I did not like about the V30's. I did prefer the dry tone of the MC90 on the clean channel when compared to the EVM so all I needed were 3 more to complete the 412. Best move I ever made. Both amps could not have sounded better than pushing a sealed 412 with EVs. After that, I considered getting another 412, mod with EV, and convert the Mark IV to a head unit. However, keeping the combo makes it more portable and I could still get a 412. Now comes the Fane Axiom Studio 12L. I had to give it a try since it had a different basket shape than the EV. (supposed to be British version of EV). In the combo amp the Fane delivers. Bass is tight and punchy (similar to EV in the sealed cab). Took a while to break it in, and it performs very well from low volume to pushing the "I will be deaf if I continue" level. Sounds almost as dry as the MC90 and does not get mushy in the open back cab like the EV did. I have to drive the bass all the way to flub it, same applies to EV. Now All 3 channels of the Mark IV combo have BOOGIE! What is impressive, I did this with only 1 speaker. Now I want more! The Mark V is not getting much attention now since the Mark IV is like having a new amp.

I was at it again.... This time I re-tubed the amp with all EH and for the PI tube I used the Sovtek LPS. The end result is a bit more brighter tone.

Figured I would go though all of the speakers again (see what happens when I get an extra day from work off...)

First I had to remove the Fane speaker and solder connections to the V30 for installation. For this test and ease of reassembly, I left out the reverb tank. Had to run the V30 in class A mode. The V30 does not do well by itself. Tone deficient does not describe it. Although it does do okay going full blast in lead mode. I was considering pushing a screw driver though it to see if that would make it sound better, thanks screaming daisy for that thought.

Put the MC90 back in. Makes me wonder why I ever took it out. Sounds good, but did not take long to realize its limitations, still not a bad speaker at all. Back to the Fane. Same result as before, it is a very pleasing speaker, but like all the rest seems to be missing something. I hooked up the MC90 in parallel to the Fane though the 4 ohm jacks, keep in mind the MC90 was just sitting in a cardboard tube that was part of the packing material for the EVM speaker. Wow, that made a big difference. Once I get the cab for the Fane (one with convertible back so it could be run open or closed) I will put the MC90 back into the Mark IV. I believe the MC90 and FANE Studio make a good pair. Running the MC90 with another speaker in parallel cuts some of the power to the coil and prevents the flub issue. Too bad I have nothing to record the sound with that would do any justice to what I am hearing... If the combination sounds as good as I anticipate I won't need to spend any more cash which means more to spend on guitars!. However, may decide on blowing that cash on a Transatlantic RA100 head and cabinet (with something other than V30's). I am not deaf yet but not sure why I do not like V30' all that much. EVM12L in a 412 cab can be very just a bright and still kick you with tight bass. I am impressed with the Fane as I get that same tone without being in a sealed cabinet. EV in the combo just seemed a bit soft or lacking the punch but it is killer in the 412 cab. Wonder if a 412 with MC90's would sound better than the V30 412. Enough said...

I may abandon the extension cab and just keep the Fane in the Mark IV. It took a while for the speaker to blossom into its full spectrum of tone. It sounds much better with SED wing = C = in the power section. Note: it will add some weight to your rig. I would recommend the Fane Studio over the EVM12L Black Label for a combo amp. The EVM is better served in a sealed cabinet which gives it a tighter bass response. The Fane has that quality already and with the open cavity of the combo it will provide that dry tone for the clean channel and drive you into madness with the high gain of the lead channel. With this type of speaker as is true with some others, you need to break it in. It does not sound superb at the start, but it does not take long for it to reveal its awesome character once you have some playing time with it.

I will eventually build up a 412 cab with Fane Speakers, Not quite sure if I will use all Studio or the Medusa or a mix of both. I guess getting a Medusa is in order.

If Mesa were to offer speaker choice other than MC90 and V30 (if you dare to put that in an amp with higher output than its capacity) I would choose Fane Studio ! Almost makes me want to get another combo amp. I almost bought a used ElecroDyne 1x12 combo amp thinking I have the perfect speaker for that amp.

After experimenting with the Axiom Studio 12L (this is the one with the Ferrite magnet, not the Alnico magnet). What this speaker lacks is mid range when playing at low volume. Crank it up and it will almost put my EV412 cab to shame.

I have tried the MC90 in parallel with the Fane Studio. That was very impressive, even with the MC90 sitting in a card board tube. I will get the Fane Medusa 150C on order. That particular speaker has more midrange similar to V30 but higher power rating and if it is similar to the Studio, there will be no beaming issue. What will come next is an extension cab with convertible back as well as ported side. Lopoline cabinets has a 1x12 that I am interested in. That would be great for the Studio, Medusa 150C in the Mark IV. That would be a killer rig that would be able to compete with Mark V and 412EVM cab.

I first started with an EVM12L black label speaker. I missed the tone and capability that the Mark III was able to provide. The weak link on the Mark IV was the MC90, you just could not get out of bedroom level and expect it to sound great. The EV was a bit low end dominant and not very tight with the bass when used in an open cabinet. However, 4 of them housed in a sealed cab is awesome. Mark IV and 412EV cab is the way to go. Considering that I want to keep the Mark IV as a combo and have the capacity of the Mark III, the Fane Studio is no disappointment in an open combo amp. The speaker is a brute in weight. The Mark IV is heavy enough as it is with the MC90. The Medusa 150C should satisfy the weight issue (not by much) and with the added midrange character (I hope) the Mark IV could easily become my favorite amp. I still love the Mark V head with the EV412. Had I gone the Combo route, I would definitely use a Fane Studio. Soon I will have comments on the Fane Medusa 150C.

:D I need to find out what kind of drugs I am on.. :roll: .. (no I do not take drugs, I don't drink, completely sober, so what gives?) :p
I have a winning combination already, even if I do not care much for the Fane Medusa when ever it arrives.
The MC90 in makeshift cardboard enclosure in parallel to the Fane Studio both hooked up to the 4 ohm output. Holy Hanna, this amp can make some really cool tones. It helps to relearn the basics once again with thanks to the white printed black cardboard insert that came on top of the amp when I bought it. Yeah, I still have it. Oddly enough it was design for the Mark IVa since the Harmonics switch is shown on the rear and not on the front.

Having both speakers hooked up has me stoked to get an extension cab just for the single Fane Studio. Well I will wait until the other cone arrives before jumping. I may just end up getting a 2x12 cab since there is not much of a cost difference and keep the MC90 for the Mark IV. I think that is beginning to sound like a better plan. For now, despite the buzz and vibration I am getting from the AC duct under the amp and makeshift cardboard cabinet, I am overwhelmed with the tonal response.

I have my fingers cross that the Medusa 150C will deliver. If it sounds similar to the MC90 but can handle more power then I will be done with curing the itch I have about the Mark IV. What I like the most, it sounds like a new amp, completely different than the Mark V. I am glad that I did not sell it. Hopefully it will sound as good with proper cabinet, would hate to keep the cardboard tube any longer. I will take a picture of it just for S&G's.

The Fane Medusa was cancelled....

WTF? The place I bought the Fane Studio 12L dropped the Fane product line. They sold the last of them last week.

There was another US source but not sure if I trust the web site, tried calling but no reply.

Oh well, I can settle with the MC90 and Fane Studio for now. Perhaps that is a good thing. Less money spent. Just need to get the 1x12 cab so I can toss the cardboard tube.

Comments on the Fane AXA Studio 12L.

After it seemed to soften up and loose its bite in the bass. I removed it from the Mark IV and re-mounted the MC90.
I have had this amp taken apart many times now. After restoring back to original, guess what, the MC90 was terribly flat too. I could have saved myself an hour of work if I replaced the power tubes......Dummy. I had the old Mesa STR440 in the amp along with EL34's. The EL34's are in good shape, I bought the quad not long ago to try out in the Mark V.

I put the Svetlana's back in.. low and behold, amp sounds like it did when I first started.... Back again to the Fane and it sounds just as good as it did before I noticed it went flat.

The next plan was to get a Fane Medusa 150C, but that ended when ProAudioStash decided to pull the plug on being a dealer.
I can still get one if I am willing to pay the higher retail cost in the UK, in addition to almost its retail cost in shipping charges. (for $189 offered by Pro Audio that was a bargan, shipping to us from UK comes to $360). The Eminence "The Tonker" makes better sense. I ordered a wide ported 1x12 cab from Lopoline along with the Emi speaker. If the Emi fits better in the MKIV and sounds as good as the Studio, I will make the change and place the Studio in the ported cab.
I believe the MC90 is on the way out since it is beginning to sound like the V30 after playing for 30 minutes (scratchy tone when playing certain notes, not fizzy either). This is one of the reasons I did not care much for the MC90 or the V30 since it is very easy to get it into breakup. In reference to master volume: set to 2, all individual volumes for each channel at 3 or 4. With the Fane, there does not seem to be a limit on the Master volume. Once you get above 5 on the master the singal begins to compress. As for the V30's, I had issues with them and the Mark V. The only way I could eliminate the break up was to operate in 10W mode. There is a definite difference in voicing between MK5 and MK4. It is more apparent with the Fane speaker than the EV's.

Finally got around to ordering a 1x12 cabinet. I also got the Eminence Tonker to go with it. Hopefully when all is said and done, the Mark IV will be driving a modular 2x12. I got the Emi Tonker since it may be close to the Fane Medusa.
The Fane speaker has really opened up now. Bass has improved with a slight more mids. Not using old spent tubes made the difference. Not sure if I plan to pull the fane and install it in the cab. I am really liking the tone I am getting out of the Mark IV. Now I do not miss the Mark III as much. I could always plug into the 412 with EV's. The single Fane comes in very close. I almost think the 412 is not needed. Have to wait for the cab to come in. I am eager to check out the Eminence. Almost considered them first but found the Fane. I am glad I did. Since the change, I have been playing the Mark IV combo more than the Mark V. The Mark IV is like a new amp so the Mark V has taken a back seat at the moment (not actually I still manage to play it every day but now it is more difficult to determine which one do I turn on first.).

Still waiting on the cab. I bet they will install the speaker. I may have made a mistake on the Tonker but won't know until it arrives. Read some reviews that it did not favor well in a combo amp. I was hoping to move the Fane into its own cab and install the Tonker into the Mark IV. The more I think things over, that Fane Speaker is one nice speaker. Tone is all there, it really bloomed into a nice sound after playing through it for some time now. Not as flat anymore. Bass is tight and percussive but not in a bad way. The mids have finally emerged an this speaker blows the EV away as a combo speaker. The cleans have never sounded better. Lead mode just sings and it is not super bright either, the highs roll off well when signal is compressed but yet remains detailed. I can hear the full bell tone shimmer in clean mode and push the envelop in lead without the ice pick. My recto 412 stuffed with EV will give you the ice pick if you are running hot on the treble (not quite as severe as the V30). For the cost of the Fane Studio 12L (came to same as EVM12L without shipping) it was well worth it.

I am sure I could get another like the Fane Medusa 150C but I just cannot justify paying twice the amount to have shipped from Europe.

I finally got the cabinet yesterday.
I ordered a Lopoline 1x12 closed back cabinet. I have no complaints on construction. It is different than I expected. Almost thought I bought the model with the port design, Nope, it was just a standard box without porting. The Emi Tonker was substituted with the TonkerLite. In part to a mistake when I placed the order on the cab with a $10 option for oval open back. I changed the order the same day I placed it. Instead of changing the final cost, they upgraded the speaker to the neo mag version. At first I was not a happy camper but I proceeded to swap the Emi that was mounted in the Lopo cab with the Fane mounted in the Mark IV. First off, that small doughnut shaped magnet cover shields the magnetic field considerably. My tools would not stick to it. WTF? However, despite the assumed lack of magnetic field, this lightweight speaker can deliver! Talk about punch and good bass response. Actually it was too much for use in a combo. Also speaker was bright as well. The Fane did not sound so good in a closed back cabinet. I spent a few hours messing around with speakers only to wind up with The Fane back in the Mark IV and the Tonkerlite in the extension cab. Should have tried this first. Before I ended up with this combination, I removed the Fane and boxed it up for later use so I could experiment with the MC90 and V30 in the cabinet. V30 not so good by itself. Since this had the lowest power rating it was not an option unless I had a lower powered amp. MC90 in the oversized 1x12 enhanced the issues I was able to hear when it was in the Mark IV. Considerable breakup, sounded like the voice coil was going to go. Master volume was at 2. All of the individual channel volumes were not above 5. I did channel the Fane through the Mark V while it was in the cabinet. It seems the tonal qualities that I liked about the Fane speaker were not apparent in the closed back cab. The Fane sounds the best in the combo. The Tonkerlite is not as brittle in the cabinet. The Fane in the Mark IV and the Tonlerlite in the cab provided the best balance between the two speakers. When it was the other way around, the Tonkerlite was dominant over the Fane. My last opinion on the Fane Studio, sounds better in the combo amp than in an extension cab.

Eventually I will have the Mesa RA100. At least I will be able to test drive it thought and EV cab. I may just get the matching 412 and suffer with the V30's for a while. Then again, it may sound good with the V30. I could try the commonwealth speaker. The Govenor's also sound good in a 412.

I am not sure what music style you're into but Warehouse Guitar Speakers are amazing and way cheaper than the competition. They did a update for the Vintage 30 and removed that huge mid spike in the V30. They called it the Veteran 30.

A buddy of mine did a shoot out with them on Youtube. Fluff has some great reviews.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMYnuC2kUjQ

Latest posts

Back