Who else is planning on swapping tubes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I know. I saw your post in the tubes section. The new Ruby tubes look like the preferred series version. I posted a response in that forum for reference.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=73036

Preferred series are very similar to the TAD 6L6GC-STR, shiny black oxide coated plates, dual halo getters. Tubes sound great in the JP2C but I found it much brighter than the Mesa STR440 (Ruby 6L6GC-MSTR). I would say they come close to the SED (=C=) at a much lower cost per tube. Not as dark as the TAD 6L6GC-STR (loved those in my Mark V before I broke off the guide pin and inserted it in the socket indexed improperly). If the tubes have a black plastic base, you may want to mark on the base where the guide pin key is located. Preferred series has a different material on the base but I marked the location where the key is in the event the plastic material is as poor as the TAD. Funny though, after I went back to the Mesa tubes, I was thinking of going back to the brighter tube.

I was finally able to assess the tubes (Ruby 6l6gcbstr) at band practice last night and all the members liked the sound of these tubes when compared to the stock tubes. Clearer, open, woody, jangly, were just a few of the words used to describe the tone, I thought that the tone was more musical in that the tone chimed and the definition was better.

Back