Who else is planning on swapping tubes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, those will work. That's what I have in mine. ABBA is the way they match up in the amp. I've been using the 415's for a couple of months now and I'm still impressed by the touch sensitivity and clarity those tubes give it. You'll also notice a tighter midrange character that really helps the punch. They really benefit this amp because I feel it's almost too scooped with the stock 440's. Enjoy!

SamuelJ86 said:
Yes, those will work. That's what I have in mine. ABBA is the way they match up in the amp. I've been using the 415's for a couple of months now and I'm still impressed by the touch sensitivity and clarity those tubes give it. You'll also notice a tighter midrange character that really helps the punch. They really benefit this amp because I feel it's almost too scooped with the stock 440's. Enjoy!

Thanks Samuel!

I haven't played around with any pre amp tubes yet. And seeing how the amp is still pretty new I doubt there a lot of opinions on the matter. It's uncharted territory. I reckon any pre amp tubes that work well for the other marks will work well for the JP2C. That would be a good starting point.

My amp sounds great with the stock tubes. I do have a huge selection of preamp tubes and a few power tubes that I have collected over the past 4 years. Have two complete set of =C= 6L6GC that I ordered for the Mark V. I normally run stock tubes in the Roadster, have gone through tube rolling in all my amps thus far except the JP-2C. I am not even tempted to change tubes in this amp yet.

I would agree about the old Mesa Chinese preamp tubes. I have a few good one's left enough to populate the Mark V. What I did notice, and it depends on what amp they are used in, will enhance the compression. I lost count of all of the preamp tubes I have in boxes. Mullards (12AX7, CV4004), JJECC803s, more Mesa branded JJ tubes, Tung Sol, EH, Svetlana, JAN GE/Phillips 5751, Preferred Series (rubies) and a few sovtek LPS.

Have not noticed any brittleness with this amp. Not like the Mark V I have before bias adjustment. It sounds perfect as is. I will eventually succumb to the pressures of a tone quest in tubes. Many of which I am not using at the moment. I was thinking of getting some more tubes as my supply is not supportive for the 5 Mesa's and one Carvin amp.

For those that need that preamp tube or power tube fix, chime in and express your findings. So far I am happy with out of box experience. 8)

Concerning preamp tubes, are there any cathode follower circuits to be aware of? I do know the Mark IVb and Mark V did not have any, not sure about the Mark III as I never used other 12AX7A in that amp other than the Chinese branded mesa tubes. I have noticed my JP-2C seems much brighter than it did a few days ago but I have been exploring different settings and such. I may try a different PI tube or other preamp tubes if needed but so far amp still sound great. I do not feel like spending $600 for a quad of the STR415 tubes at the moment.

edit---
First time for discovery of guitar cable being culprit. I was using my Mogami Platinum plus cable, that will definitely bring out the brightness. I switched back to the cable I was using which was another Mogami but not the heavy cable and amp sounded much better as it did. The platinum cable works great with the Roadster or RA100 but the other cables suffice just as well. I did not expect it to be that much of a tone change but it is... If you find your JP-2C too bright or brittle sounding, try a different guitar cable. I actually prefer just the run of the mill standard cable. The Mogami platinum was a bit too expensive for me to want to get another. Gold standard or other will suffice plus they are less cost. One feature on the platinum cable I like is the neutrik silent plug switch on the instrument end. I have seen that on other brands of guitar cables as well. Back to my original thought, no need to swap tubes out at the moment.

I am going to put a set of Ruby 6L6CG-MSTR in, the red 440s sound a little fizzy to me.

bandit2013 said:
Concerning preamp tubes, are there any cathode follower circuits to be aware of? I do know the Mark IVb and Mark V did not have any, not sure about the Mark III as I never used other 12AX7A in that amp other than the Chinese branded mesa tubes. I have noticed my JP-2C seems much brighter than it did a few days ago but I have been exploring different settings and such. I may try a different PI tube or other preamp tubes if needed but so far amp still sound great. I do not feel like spending $600 for a quad of the STR415 tubes at the moment.

edit---
First time for discovery of guitar cable being culprit. I was using my Mogami Platinum plus cable, that will definitely bring out the brightness. I switched back to the cable I was using which was another Mogami but not the heavy cable and amp sounded much better as it did. The platinum cable works great with the Roadster or RA100 but the other cables suffice just as well. I did not expect it to be that much of a tone change but it is... If you find your JP-2C too bright or brittle sounding, try a different guitar cable. I actually prefer just the run of the mill standard cable. The Mogami platinum was a bit too expensive for me to want to get another. Gold standard or other will suffice plus they are less cost. One feature on the platinum cable I like is the neutrik silent plug switch on the instrument end. I have seen that on other brands of guitar cables as well. Back to my original thought, no need to swap tubes out at the moment.

According to Mesa tech support, the Mark circuit (in general) doesn't have a CF position in it like the rectifier circuit does.

I have a Lava Van den Hul cable, HUGE difference in tone over my regular average price cables. Everything makes a difference to tone, down to the pick you use.

Replaced all the tubes today. I put a Jan/Phillips in V1 and everything else got an old Mesa chinese 12AX7s that I had laying around. It really opened up the amp, now it fits right in with the C++ and III.

themisfit138 said:
I am going to put a set of Ruby 6L6CG-MSTR in, the red 440s sound a little fizzy to me.

I would think the Reds to be very cold, mostly what I have seen in the Mark V and probably more suitable for Simul-Class amps. I have used the Ruby 6L6GC-MSTR with better response (actually that is what I have in the V at the moment). Those sounded great in the Roadster. Probably filtered differently in the selection process compared to Mesa as they are the same tube (STR440)

Yellows seem to work well in my Roadster head. I recently ordered new tubes and wanted gray but got green instead. Did not notice much of a difference between the two.

My JP came with Grays. The greens would do fine. My ask for blues next time as 3 letters would be far different from GRY or GRN.

The JP needed hotter tubes than the 440 red. I might try a set of old Winged C 6L6, and see how the JP takes to them.

Well I put the =C= winged C 6L6 in the JP today. WOW, what a difference! It made is even closer to the classic boogie tone. The winged C tubes really filled out the mids on the amp. I enjoy playing the JP so much, I kind of feel like I am cheating on the C++.

themisfit138 said:
Well I put the =C= winged C 6L6 in the JP today. WOW, what a difference! It made is even closer to the classic boogie tone. The winged C tubes really filled out the mids on the amp. I enjoy playing the JP so much, I kind of feel like I am cheating on the C++.

The JP2C seems to really benefit from a good set of power tubes. The 415's energized my amp, made everything better. A noticeable, positive difference. It was the final tweak that made my JP2C perfect. I haven't experimented with preamp tubes yet. I'm having trouble even imagining how the amp could sound any better. But maybe I should try some preamp tubes out. If this amp can sound any sweeter, I want to hear it. 8)

I tried rolling some tubes again last night, and I found that just like in my other Boogies I preferred it when I put a Tung Sol in V1 and a Mullard in the PI. To me it opens up the top end tone a little bit compared to the Mesa JJs in all positions. Takes a little of the blanket off.

I haven't tried any other power tubes yet, all I have around are a set of Mesa 420s in a different amp.

themisfit138 said:
The JP needed hotter tubes than the 440 red. I might try a set of old Winged C 6L6, and see how the JP takes to them.

My JP-2C shipped with Gray color coded STR440's. So far I am impressed with them. I have yellow's in my Roadster. As for the Mark V, it has only seen the Reds before swapping to other tubes. I have two sets of =C= that I have used in the Mark V and they are still good. May try them in the JP since they are not in use at the moment. Also have a set of the Ruby MSTR which are same as the Mesa tubes but have a slightly different character to them. A new set of Preferred series 6L6GC which are the same as the TAD 6L6GC-STR that I bought to replace the old TAD 6L6GC-STRs just waiting for use. Thing is, I am happy with the sound and gain character with the JP with its stock tubes so I have no need to change. At least I have plenty of other tubes on hand to use when the stockers give out.

The Reds may be a bit too cold for the JP. Green, Gray or Blue may be a better choice if you want to stick with the Mesa branded (ruby tube). I do not care much for the characteristic of the Chinese Mesa power tube in the Mark V, but it really depends on what speaker I pair it with. So far MC90 or the Celestion Crème 90W Alnico paired perfectly with the Mesa tubes (Mark V combo). =C= 6L6GC paired up quite well with the EV speakers in both Mark V and Roadster. With the Celestions, I prefer the Mesa power tube in the Roadster for what ever reason it gets that 3D gain structure that I get with the =c= in the Mark V. Thinking about power tubes, soon I may give some thought into a change on the JP to see what happens. It is so tempting but like I said, I like what I am hearing at the moment so I have no desire to make a change.

I tried the Preferred series 6L6GC that are basically the same tube. I originally bought them for the Mark V and they work great. However, in the JP-2C I noticed quite a difference from the Mesa 6l6GC-STR440. Clean channel sounded superb with nice bold piano like timber on the low strings and well rounded over the rest of the guitar scale. It was not until I changed over to ch2 when I realized I missed the Mesa 440. Much brighter than the originals (similar in some character but would sound the same if you boosted the presence control up to or farther than 2oclock. I did not bother to tune the channel settings as I was not liking the brightness of the tubes. It was not bad at all, just not what I expected. I prefer the warmer character of the Mesa tube for CH2 and CH3, however they sound a bit too warm for the clean channel. Perhaps I have gotten used to the Mesa tubes more than I thought I did. Perhaps the Ruby versions may differ as they use different criteria when they do the sorting. I should try the quad of the Ruby 6L6GCMSTR, even though they are the same tube as the Mesa versions, they sound just a bit different that I actually like them in the Mark V and the Roadster. I have not tried those in the JP. Note: I left all of the preamp tubes as is (they are Mesa tubes but not the originals that came in the amp as I had two 12ax7 that were a bit sour, one on the verge of microphonics and the other had popcorn when it heated up).

Back