Which cab sounds best with your recto amp?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which cab sounds best with your recto amp?

• Other Mesa cab

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • 4x12 roadking

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4x12 stiletto

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • 4x12 Standard

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Other brand cab

Votes: 5 20.0%

• Total voters
I've played my Roadster through a well broken in Recto 4x12, a Marshall 1960av, Marshall 1960 with G12K-75's, a few no name cabs, and my old Splawn 4x12.
The SB loaded Splawn cab was my favorite.

I think it really depends on the style of music you are into and the tone you are going for. I prefer the oversized as I prefer a thicker tone with a lot of bottem end. If i want more mids, less bottem I grab my stiletto cab.

I have played through a number of cabs and have come back to my Recto 4X12 with a mix of C90's and V30's.
I would still like to try out a Stilleto 4X12 and see if I like that better.

I personally am liking the V30s but have recently been turned onto the G12T-75s maybe a mesa cab loaded with both, anyone?

I'm fairly poor and usually tweak cheap gear incrementally or make large purchases in extremely rare instances. My Triple-X cab is the only one I've played it through and I have gotten a very good sound from it. When I play the Mesa cabs in the stores, they sound excellent, but I actually kind of like having less low end.

I would say my favorite is a recto 2x12. But a close second, and really nice for classic rock, is a Mesa 4x10.

The difference is that the recto cab is really scooped, with tons of bass and a nice mid peak so it cuts and thunders at the same time. But it can be a bit overwhelming in the mids if you're not trying to cut through a dense mix.

The 4x10 has very even response over frequency, so it sounds less harsh. But it also tends to come off as a little lifeless as compared to the recto.

I have made this comparison with both a Mini Recto and an Electradyne.

Haven't tried an actual Mesa cab, got a Harley Benton V30s, sounds better than my old Ironheart with HH Driver.

Is there a big difference between the Mesa V30s and a Harley Benton V30s?

antunififi said:
Haven't tried an actual Mesa cab, got a Harley Benton V30s, sounds better than my old Ironheart with HH Driver.

To me Mesa V30s are sweeter/rounder sounding than the "classic" V30s. They are definitely voiced differently.

ryjan said:
I've played my Roadster through a well broken in Recto 4x12, a Marshall 1960av, Marshall 1960 with G12K-75's, a few no name cabs, and my old Splawn 4x12.
How does the Marshall 1960AV compare to the Recto? I have a Roadster and the Recto cab and just got a Marshall head so I have been thinking about getting the 1960AV in hopes that in would work will for both heads.

tomprs said:
antunififi said:

To me Mesa V30s are sweeter/rounder sounding than the "classic" V30s. They are definitely voiced differently.

Will definitely get a Mesa when I have a chance but for now I'm still happy with the classic V30s

Big_Al said:
ryjan said:
How does the Marshall 1960AV compare to the Recto? I have a Roadster and the Recto cab and just got a Marshall head so I have been thinking about getting the 1960AV in hopes that in would work will for both heads.
It was really bright and harsh compared to the Recto OS 4x12. Both cabs were several years old with many hours on them so it wasn't a speaker break in issue.

Latest posts

Back