Slant cabs 2x or 4x?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuzzinmike

Reaction score
I've been using 2 1x12 recto cabs with my Triaxis, Simul 2/90 for many years now and I'm very satisfied with my sound, but I'm interested in trying something new.

1, 4x12 Recto slant or..
2, 2x12 vertical Recto's, which will likely get a wider stereo field, and not worried about cost even though it will be more,

Thoughts?

I'm just running mono, so can't offer much or any insight about your stereo rig. For me, it just boils down the carry factor. I run a Mark III combo on top of a 1x12 recto most times--it's fine and sure gets the job done. But if my bro' and I are riding together and we take his van, I use a 2x12 vertical under the combo. Honestly, the 2x12 just kills the little 1x12 in every way. Taking a preemptive Naproxen can usually help with my old-age limitations...

I have both. My take on splitting the pair of speakers and trying to make it stereo is not great since the speakers are sharing a common cavity. As for the two 2x12 cabs, that would make more sense. I have four of the Vertical 212 cabs. I can make use of all 4 or shrink my rig down to 2. I got hooked on running 4 amps. 2 BADs, 1 Mark VII and 1 JP2C. The Bads are more in stereo mode through a stereo effect using the FX loop of each. Mark VII and JP2C similar setup but with a different stereo effect unit that does not transfer or impose signals across channels so it is more of a dual/mono thing. Each amp is supplied by a Mesa Switch track (now have two of them). I can use them as a mono input if I use the tuner out as the input to the other or add in more stereo effect by running them with a mono-in, stereo-out. Allows me to select what amps I want to use.

I have both. My take on splitting the pair of speakers and trying to make it stereo is not great since the speakers are sharing a common cavity. As for the two 2x12 cabs, that would make more sense. I have four of the Vertical 212 cabs. I can make use of all 4 or shrink my rig down to 2. I got hooked on running 4 amps. 2 BADs, 1 Mark VII and 1 JP2C. The Bads are more in stereo mode through a stereo effect using the FX loop of each. Mark VII and JP2C similar setup but with a different stereo effect unit that does not transfer or impose signals across channels so it is more of a dual/mono thing. Each amp is supplied by a Mesa Switch track (now have two of them). I can use them as a mono input if I use the tuner out as the input to the other or add in more stereo effect by running them with a mono-in, stereo-out. Allows me to select what amps I want to use.

I have the 2x12 and 4x12 metal grille with all EVM-12L speakers. With the C+ amp head, they are the bomb.

I just can't with the 2x12 anymore (let alone a 4x12). In fact, I moved my Mark III+ from a combo into a head shell and use 1 open back 1x12 (EV) and 1 Thiele 1x12 (also EV). At least I can make 3 trips to the truck and survive or even just take the open back for some situations. My cabs are the older compact 1x12 with the Bronco tolex. Works for me and volume has never been an issue though I did once have a vertical 2x12 that sounded great but that was when I was young and had a better back! I never got to compare the 2x12 to my current set up but did compare it to the combo alone and sometimes ran the combo with the 2x12. All combinations worked but did require a bit of EQ dialing in.

I run an EVH 50w Stealth with a JP2C, each through a 2x12 recto cab (one vertical, one horizontal) using this device so that it sounds like two people playing: TC Electronic Mimiq Doubler Pedal

I'll never go back to playing just one dirty amp, and I'd totally buy another Mimiq if that one got lost or damaged. So, I would suggest tracking down 2 vertical 2x12 over a single 4x12. Lots of flexibility.

Back