What cabinet/s do you guys use with your 2 channel Recto???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My take on marshall cabs, by the older ones, the JCM800 are great bang for the buck and built alot better then the newer marshalls. Comparing to mesa cabinets, newer marshalls do not hold up at all in build quality.

Great cabs to look at, Mesa Metal Grill, very much like and orange cab of today. Orange cabs and of course Mesa Stiletto/traditional cabs. Older JCM800 cabs or even before then but those cabs start getting pricey.

Elixir said:
ahhh i must know about the orange! those one by me being sold on ebay.

I'm also looking at a Marshall 1960A 4x12. Anyone have any opinions on this?

There's a guy by me selling a 1960a for about 430. If it's in good condition I may pick it up.

I have to play it first though, maybe I'll lug my Roadster to his house.

an earcandy ported 2-12 with Schultz sugar cone speaker in it have given me the best sound out of my recto, period. I've used alot of other cabs, (i.e. recto, other 2-12's, marshall, diezel sounded good too, soundtech 4-12) but the best most brutal, cutting tone was through my little blue, funny lookin' earcandy 2-12 ported cab. I also have a port city 2-12 which is great but the recto sounds best through the earcandy. It must be the speakers but they cost over $200 a piece new, glad I didn't pay that! It's an expensive little cab new but if you can find one used I'd say try it. The bass response isn't as boomy as a 4-12 but I like that. It just rippppps! Now if I could just boost from ryth to solo with my recto, I'd be in heaven!

I use a Vader 2x12 with Custom Eminence Legend 120watt speakers. This fucker is loud and handles the low end very, very well. They are flat speakers that don't shred your ears with high-mid and top end frequencies. Because of the high wattage speakers, the cleans stay clean. Great articulation and very uniform in tonality. Basically, what you put into the cabinet is what you get. They are very true to the head you are using.

Biggest bonus... the price! $499 CDN for the 2x12.

I love the cabinet.

I will eventually get either a Mesa Roadster 2x12 or an Orange 2x12 to have some V30s for some variety in tones.

sdgiffin said:
They are flat speakers that don't shred your ears with high-mid and top end frequencies. .
I think this is my main problem with the vintage 30's. Will the G12t-75's do this as well?

Elixir said:
sdgiffin said:
They are flat speakers that don't shred your ears with high-mid and top end frequencies. .
I think this is my main problem with the vintage 30's. Will the G12t-75's do this as well?

I don't like the G12T-75s. I had a Marshall 1960 A cab and I hated it. I found, for me, the speakers a little farty, a tad woofy.

echoes420 said:
I have a standard rec 4x12.

It certainly is heavy and is a task to lug around...

But there is a reason you see lots of guys using Mesa cabs with other heads and not many guys using Mesa heads with anything else.

There are many other factors than just the cab that play into your clean tone. Guitar, playing dynamics, string gauge, pickup height, etc.

But do yourself a favor and pick up the Mesa... it is a good starting point for shaping your tone... and you will finally have that "Mesa" sound.
+1 Say what you want about mesa amps, but mesa builds some bad *** boxes. The recto std 412 is an awesome cab. The Mills afterburner is a great choice too. So are the high-end Randall cabs and the Bogner Uberschal cab

I'm using an 80's Randall straight 4x12 with Jaguar speakers. Got it used, and it wasn't expensive. It has a very warm, slightly dark tone that smooths out any trace of harshness, buzz or fizz in the recto sound. It's awesome with the triple, my vintage channel reminds me of the opening riff from Rush's "Limelight". I really dig it, and I can now turn up my presence or treble to get more top end without fear of shrillness.

I started with a stock Marshall 1960A and a Marshall DSL. When I need higher gain tone, I went to a Diezel head, and was constantly battling harshness no matter what I did. Tried an H&K head, then a Mesa Roadster, then changing from G12-T75s to V30s... the harshness persisted. Finally, after all that, borrowed a friend's Randall cab, and voila!... problem solved. I never imagined that a cab could make such a large difference... expensive lesson learned. I even put the jag speakers in my 1960A just to see if it was the cab or the speakers, and the jags were significantly harsher in the 1960A, after being really warm in the Randall cab. I think 1960A cabs, to my ear, are a poor match for high gain heads.

I brought up the 1960a Marshall cabs cuz I know Gojira runs those with their dual recs and they sound CRUSHING!

I'm going to try out the cab sometime this week to see.

recorde some tracks this weekend and tried a lot of cabs. with my dual recto 2 channel and my roadster the mesa standard oversized cab sounded best.

the marshall 1960 cab sounded so weak and bad so........could n t handle the low end

any way you could post some of those recordings? I'm trying to compare the 1960 vs other cabs

Yeah but the question is what speakers are they running in there Marshall cabs, could be greenbacks, could be V30's, hell it could be older cabs with the 65's or 85's, you just never know.

Elixir said:
I brought up the 1960a Marshall cabs cuz I know Gojira runs those with their dual recs and they sound CRUSHING!

I'm going to try out the cab sometime this week to see.

Dude, save yourself some money and time and just get a Mills Acoustics.

The 2x12 will crush a mesa 4x12. Trust me on this. :mrgreen:

I just got rid of my 2x12's, i want a 4x12 and the Mills are way too expensive man. I can't even find a youtube video with someone using them.. they must be real rare out there.

Elixir said:
I just got rid of my 2x12's, i want a 4x12 and the Mills are way too expensive man. I can't even find a youtube video with someone using them.. they must be real rare out there.

If you buy new, they are priced the same. If your talking used, then well yeah. Your not going to find them used.

It depends how you look at spend etc. If you want to flip gear then so be it, but if you want to buy something once and not have to worry about - "is there anything better", then get the Mills..

Fixxer6671 said:

Sorry to barge in here, buttttTT....I'm still on the fence about which cab to buy. I def want to buy new. Now, i'ts a tossup between a Stiletto 4x12, 2 2x12 or a Mills 4x12 classic 29"x29". I'm purposly staying away from the Mesa dealers in my area until I have the cash on hand. If I have to order from Mesa, it might be a 2-3 month wait, Mills would be a month to month and a half wait. So, any way I decide, the cash ain't gunna be here till mid to end of May.........SHeeSH, I can't wait!!

Unreal. There's a Framus Dragon 4x12 only minutes away from me for a reasonable price. Has anyone played this cab? It has Vintage 30's in them.

I swear you are getting paid to advertise these cabs so heavy. I can understanding haveing love for a cab or guitar etc... But just because you love it does not mean everyone will love it, exspecially if they have a certain sound in there head that is associated with the recto.

Instead of always saying get the cab, why dont you try giving some reasons, what exactly it sounds like, is it close to what kind of speaker, what kind of tone will you get out of it etc...

Fixxer6671 said:

Elixir said:
Unreal. There's a Framus Dragon 4x12 only minutes away from me for a reasonable price. Has anyone played this cab? It has Vintage 30's in them.

I Got a new Roadster in mid Feb and bought a new Framus Dragon 4x12 cab due to i live in Israel and we don't have mesa dealer or any real good cab.

All i can say about this cab is only bad things, it was very fizzy cab (till i switched the cab i tried anything to cure this fizz, set of JJ from eurotubes, MXR EQ) and still no good sound, the dist sound was like a big blanket on the amp and the overall sound was not useful also pedals sounded bad. at this time i was very upset cause my 2000$ Amp sounded more lame than my laney VC30 that cost 1/3 of this amp
I even opened the cab to see if theres really a V30 in it.
after two months i switched the cab to ENGL Std 4x12 V60 and never looked back Great cab no fizz with Big Fat Sound!

go and try your amp with the cab before you buy any cab maybe you will love it maybe not.

mcaviel said:
Elixir said:

I Got a new Roadster in mid Feb and bought a new Framus Dragon 4x12 cab due to i live in Israel and we don't have mesa dealer or any real good cab.

All i can say about this cab is only bad things, it was very fizzy cab (till i switched the cab i tried anything to cure this fizz, set of JJ from eurotubes, MXR EQ) and still no good sound, the dist sound was like a big blanket on the amp and the overall sound was not useful also pedals sounded bad. at this time i was very upset cause my 2000$ Amp sounded more lame than my laney VC30 that cost 1/3 of this amp
I even opened the cab to see if theres really a V30 in it.
after two months i switched the cab to ENGL Std 4x12 V60 and never looked back Great cab no fizz with Big Fat Sound!

go and try your amp with the cab before you buy any cab maybe you will love it maybe not.
+1. I bought a Basson B412 after hearing numerous rave reviews, and wound up HATING the thing! I'm now a proud Recto 4x12 owner; couldn't be happier.

Latest posts

Back