Vintage Guitarist needs "Modern Amp" help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you owned a .50 Caliber, you need to take the Express 5:50 for a spin. IMHO, the 5:50 Express is the best amp that Mesa has introduced since original Caliber series amps hit the market.

Another big thumbs up for the Mark IV. I've played mine for 16 years and I'll never get rid of it. Very versatile amp with several power levels allows me to cover lots of styles of music. Many other 'second' amps have come and gone but the Mk IV is my baby.
But, its not a Marshall. EL-34's won't get you there. Different OD pedals can get very cool 'singing' lead tones, but it ain't a Brit amp.
I've tried the Stilletos, the Ace is a bit bright for my taste, the Duece II sounds really good - great when loud - and the Trident is just too much amp for smaller gigs.
Good luck in your search.

Bottom line is...

- You have A LOT of options with a budget of < $2k.
- All the amps you've mentioned are very different.
- The reason most amps sound weak at low volumes is because there is no air movement from the speaker (from a lack of power). A hot plate isn't going to lower the amps volume enough for home use.

I suggest you do some research by listening to lots of clips and visiting some stores with amps to play. Even after receiving an amp and playing it, you might realize its not what you want.

Most tube amps sound best with some volume, but they're still fun to play at lower volumes.

If I may suggest a couple of Mesa's to try out. The reason why I say this is you can probably stay well within your budget.

1. Mark III- I just got one and it is positively an amazing amp. I think they are going for $500-800 on Ebay. That would allow enough money for a brand new cab if you go that way.

2. Road King I- Because of the the release of the RKII and the Roadster, the RKI's are falling way down in price. I paid $2600 brand new for mine the first year they came out. I have been using it for about 5 years or so now. 4 channels, reverb, selectable power tube configuration, 12 voicings from Fender to Marshall, Voxy, Recto, etc. The thing I always liked about this amp is the versatility to go from country to jazz to heavy metal just by turning a few knobs and switches.

BTW- Just an example- I saw (locally) an RKI and 4X12 mesa cab for around 1500-1700. It is in great shape. Same year as mine I believe.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting. Always TRY before you buy though.

Kev

I would wait a couple of weeks, to see what new amps are comming?

jamme61 said:

That has been in the back of my mind as well and clearly after ten years not playing, a few weeks is nothing in the scheme of things.

At least I made a bit of progress today in that I discovered there is one specific GC store here in Las Vegas that stocks a few Mesa and other nicer quality amps. They have a Stiletto ACE, Lonestar, Retro-Verb and a 5:50 plus a few other Mesa stacks on the floor. I was struck by the ACE being lot larger physically in-person than the photos on the web depict.

Unfortunately, I was out on errands and didn't have my guitar with me or a lot of time. Also, the place was overloaded with "shredding teen" syndrome. That was me about 35 years ago except most of my hair has washed off since then. ;-(

The manager said if I come back with my guitar one morning he'll set me up with any of the amps I want in one of their side rooms where I can do some serious testing and tweaking. I think I'll download the manuals as well.

Wish I could find someplace with all the combo models side-by-side which may have to be in a few weeks when I'm working on a new film in Hollywood and can go by the store there.

Thanks again to everyone for your encouragement, advice and support.

Robert Starling, SOC
Steadicam Owner Operator
Las Vegas

Reading the manual is always a good idea. Especially with Mesa since their manuals are so well written. Look through Marshall, Peavey, Bogner, Randall, or Egnater and their manuals suck in comparison.

Good idea to request a place where you can crank and make yourself famliar with the amp. The folks in the store really appreciate it and so do some of the customers. I was returning a 2x12 Marshall cab and there was a mix up with the receipt, so I was stuck up front. This guy was trying out a Fender and just cranking it. He was actually pretty good but being that close to it with my 3 year old daughter was no fun. I ended up having to step into the little breeze way

robstar said:
jamme61 said:

That has been in the back of my mind as well and clearly after ten years not playing, a few weeks is nothing in the scheme of things.

At least I made a bit of progress today in that I discovered there is one specific GC store here in Las Vegas that stocks a few Mesa and other nicer quality amps. They have a Stiletto ACE, Lonestar, Retro-Verb and a 5:50 plus a few other Mesa stacks on the floor. I was struck by the ACE being lot larger physically in-person than the photos on the web depict.

Unfortunately, I was out on errands and didn't have my guitar with me or a lot of time. Also, the place was overloaded with "shredding teen" syndrome. That was me about 35 years ago except most of my hair has washed off since then. ;-(

The manager said if I come back with my guitar one morning he'll set me up with any of the amps I want in one of their side rooms where I can do some serious testing and tweaking. I think I'll download the manuals as well.

Wish I could find someplace with all the combo models side-by-side which may have to be in a few weeks when I'm working on a new film in Hollywood and can go by the store there.

Thanks again to everyone for your encouragement, advice and support.

Robert Starling, SOC
Steadicam Owner Operator
Las Vegas

I had an express 5:50 1x12 and it was a killer gig amp for my band(40 something clasic rock blues guys) It's amazing how well that 1x12 combo sounded for the size of it. I love the stiletto 2x12 combo that I have now but I miss the little 5:50 for how good it sounded and how light it is. A MKIV with the marshall stiletto sound would be killer IMHO.

Back